Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Size: Medium|Color: Dark Brown|Change

on December 18, 2013
I have a couple old pairs of Smartwool socks that have lasted ten or more years of traveling and hiking around the world. Multi-day hikes in a constant downpour in New Zealand - my feet were the only dry and comfortable part of me.

My most recent two pairs of Smartwools have multiple holes in them from less than one year of light use.

I have to conclude that like everything else, Smartwool is not what it used to be. While growing into a mass-market product, they've kept the price but taken out the quality.
77 comments|131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2014
The first time I discovered Smartwool socks I thought that I had died and gone to heaven. The socks were so incredibly comfortable, fast drying and odor resistant I couldn't believe that I had worn and suffered through plain cotton socks for so many years years.

But something has changed. The socks barely lost 8 to 10 months before holes started appearing in either the toe or heel area. And I'm not just talking about one pair in five or one pair in six I'm talking about every pair I have bought, and maybe more importantly, YOU will buy.

You will absolutely love the socks the day that you receive them. You will love them even six months afterward. But before year is done I guarantee you you will have holes in them and you will not be happy.

I switched over to Darn Tough Socks. While I don't believe that they have the same odor resistance as pure 100% wool (DTS have some Nylon in them), these socks have an unconditional lifetime guarantee. They are also slightly more expensive, but I am enraged that I have lost upwards of 10 pairs of socks to various holes and thinning with Smartwool.

I am REALLY REALLY displeased as these are not cheap socks, and they should last! I am totally unhappy with whatever has been happening with this company and their production methods. Get your act together Smartwool, you had a great product and you need to go back to making these however you were before.
0Comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2010
Can't say enough good stuff about Smartwool socks. I live in them all winter long. The difficulty is finding the right heft. I find the "hiking medium" to be good for day-to-day winter activities in Seattle.
on January 1, 2015
I have several old pairs of smartwool socks and would consider them close to thorlos for quality although with frequent wear they don't last as long. But they were very comfortable and reasonably durable (if not the best).
These new ones I just got (two pair) are both very very tight. Not at all comfortable. Nothing in common with the previous generation ones I still have, Unless you are extraordinarily thin (I mean you look a little like stick drawing) you might want to consider your options.
on May 23, 2012
These socks exceeded all of my expectations, I don't know what kind of magic they are made from but it's amazing.

Fell knee deep into some freezing water with pants over and thermal underwear under. Took everything off, rang it out and while still damp were already beginning to dry, even inside waterlogged shoes. Kept them inside of a sleeping bag with me on a 28 degree night so they wouldn't freeze and woke up to them being bone dry.

Now I just need to buy several more pairs.
on February 23, 2016
I had old pair of smart wools that are about 14 years old and still a great sock. Didn't know the size. I bought all three sizes to try to find the same one. What a waste of money. These socks are not even in the same universe as old Smartwool socks. Your buying the name. Worse yet, there isn't an easy way to tell thin, medium and heavy apart at a glance. REALLY DISAPPOINTED
on November 23, 2015
Best socks ever. I have worn these socks for years, ever since my husband bragged about them to me. Living in New England, you really need things that are WARM. Smart wool socks last, and my feet have never been cold while wearing them. That says a lot, because it gets doggone cold in NH!
on November 28, 2011
I learned about SmartWool socks at least 10 years ago, and have been pleased by their fit, cushioning and especially wicking qualities ever since. They also wear well, and I may even have some of the first ones I bought, I wear them all year, in hiking boots and sneakers, except when I wear sandals in warm weather.
on June 16, 2013
I live in Vermont, one day a few years ago we had a huge blizzard with several feet of snow and my wife and I walked downtown to get to work because we couldn't drive. We were freezing, wet and our feet were cold. We decided to go into a local store on main street and buy some dry socks before going into our jobs. We found some SmartWool on sale and decided to go for it and have been converted ever since. I've since bought several different thicknesses so I can choose the best one for the weather. The really thick ones are great for the sub-zero temps and the lighter ones are good for the less messy winter days.
on October 17, 2011
Fantastic.. Awesome.. REALLY COMFORTABLE! I bought 4 pairs of those socks to hike up Mt. Kilimanjaro and honestly they were more comfortable than my regular socks. If you are going on a hike, I strongly recommend these socks, they are definitely worth the cash!