5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort and Function
Published on January 14, 2006 by Michael J. Ryan

3.0 out of 5 stars Overcharged for socks!
This is a great pair of socks ,but I realized I paid at least double what it would have cost in the store-that is truly ridiculous.
Published 2 months ago by traceyskroeger

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort and Function, January 14, 2006
I have worn these to wear in some seasonal hiking boots and on two hikes up above 10,000'. Kept me warm and comfortable - blister free [with liner socks thrown in]. Best hiking socks I now own, and I own several pairs [my Bridgesdales are now second, a close second]. Socks like these are a must have on colder hikes, and helped with the pounding the elevation gain and rocks gave [with mediocre boots].

5.0 out of 5 stars Hiking not required, April 10, 2011
RuRu (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I came across smartwool socks while reading a book where the author vowed not to purchase anything in a year. She made a huge deal of her missing Smartwool socks and I was compelled to discover why there was such a big fuss about a pair of socks. Now I know. I have never been an outdoorsy type, nor have I ever camped or hiked but I do love comfort and these socks the most comfortable socks I will ever own. I bought these for my husband and found myself wearing them more than he was (and we, by the way, are not even close in shoe size!). So I finally got my own pair. I am a size 9 womens and purchased a medium. Next time I am going to purchase small since the fit was not as snug as I would like.

These socks are expensive but they last years if cared for properly. Wash them in cold water and hang them to dry. Do not place them in the dryer or they will shrink. Since you're hanging to dry, it will take a couple of days to dry in the winter. If you suffer from cold feet (like I do) these socks will be super appreciated on cold winter days. They have extra plush cushioning and reach mid-calf. They are a little thick for regular shoes but perfect for boots. If you like thinner socks, definately check out the PhD smartwool socks. Since these socks excellently engineered, they wick away moisture so you will never feel sweaty and they are not itchy at all (which is what most people fear when they hear "wool").

I've worn them in winter boots, rainboots, and sneakers. Sometimes I even wear them in warmer weather. I love these socks and will continue to enjoy them every season. Also, these make a great gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars These socks saved my toes!, December 31, 2011
These socks are as comfortable as they are warm. I own many cold weather socks but these are by far my favorite and I sometimes use them around the house as slippers.

I hike and walk through the winter around Maine and the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Usually I can use these socks in temperatures down to 0 degrees alone and I have used them to hike over to help someone out in -20 degrees with heat packs in the socks.

The most extreme conditions I have encountered was during a hike during the winter months through the White Mountains with temps near 5 degrees. The hike started out with a clear blue sky but a heavy snow shower moved in very quickly. Due to white out conditions I lost my way a bit and my walk ended up being about 5 hours longer than I intended. People were getting ready to search for me, and I can't tell you how surprised everyone was when I came walking through the door with no frozen digits. We laugh about this experience now, but it could have ended with a ride to the hospital with frostbite.

Amazing, socks. I need socks that perform in the worst conditions and these fit the bill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Long Lasting Sock - Great Value, November 15, 2012
I was so delighted to find these socks again for my husband. Wool socks are hard to find in a quality product, and although the $$ on these seem high for a pair of socks, he works them hard and I wash them hard and a dozen pairs of these makes it for a whole year. In his world, this is amazing, because on other socks he might get three months out of them. When they finally do start wearing thin, I darn the bottoms over a light bulb with a fine wool yarn I bought at the craft store, and we get an extra six months out of them before the backs of the heels wear out. They're worth the extra effort and expense!!! Wonderful for the Alaskan winter!

Did I say I love these socks? ❤

5.0 out of 5 stars Best socks ever. Ever., November 8, 2012
I wear 8.5 US, size small fit me perfectly. There is wiggle room in the toes. Really thick and super warm. I purchased them to wear with my snow boots in wisconsin for the winter. They're really soft inside and I honestly don't even wear house shoes anymore...just these. All my other socks are jealous.

4.0 out of 5 stars can't go wrong with the Smartwool, January 15, 2007
Joel E (Twin Cities, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
Very comfortable sock, nice and soft on the inside and WARM. the only dislike about them is the elastic on the top isn't very snug, they fall down a little

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sock. Not the heaviest you can get, May 17, 2012
Brian (United States) - See all my reviews
If you are looking for really heavy socks, look at the extra heavy smart wool. However, these are actually better if you are going to be very active (hiking) rather than skiing (which I would get the extra heavy sock). Extra heavy is about $5 more expensive, but with cold feet, if you are wearing around the house the extra heavy last longer (both will wear out in the sole of the sock, but it generally takes a few years of frequent heavy wear which is vastly superior to any other brand I have found). Strongly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Brand for Socks, January 13, 2013
I have a pair of these that I purchased a few years ago, and decided it was time to fill my sock drawer with them. I have not found a brand that compares to Smartwool. I live in Switzerland, where my feet are always cold. These socks solve the problem. Not to mention, they are quite comfy. They are not meant to be stylish, they are practical. Which is exactly what I needed! Definitely will continue to buy Smartwool for my husband and I.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, December 5, 2012
These socks are phenomenal. They definitely prevented blisters and kept my feet nice and warm on a snow covered mountain. They're super durable and wash well. I hope to keep them a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mountaineer Socks-Smartwool, August 14, 2006
I went to visit a friend in Fairbanks,Alaska We went dog sledding in the White mountains, it was about -30 These socks worked great, Highly recommended.