VINE VOICEon March 26, 2012
I bought this palette on a whim from the Smashbox website (it's STILL available for $37 on the Final Call page). I think it's really nice. The box has no real bells and whistles (compare the Urban Decay Book of Shadows IV) but I personally like the red streamlined look. It's shiny red and has a nice big mirror in the top flap. It closes magnetically and has some paper cards with suggested looks. I LOVE that they do this (Too Faced does it too) so you can get some ideas on how to combine colors. Also, I really like how the colors are arranged so it helps you get some ideas on how to wear the colors and create your own looks.

What you get:

15 eyeshadows (The top row of eyeshadows is the lightest colors, the middle row is medium shades and the bottom row of eyeshadows is the darkest colors)
5 liners/cream eyeshadows
1 Smashboox eyeshadow primer

I found the shadows to be fairly well-pigmented and blend well. The pigmentation from Smashbox and the looks you create are not going to be as bold as you'll get with Urban Decay or Too Faced. It's kind of a softer look (I find the pigmentation intensity to be closer to a lot of my MAC shadows). To be honest, that's true for all Smashbox cosmetics that I've tried. Nothing is in your face pigmented but it's really natural.

I haven't created looks with all of them yet, but the idea cards are helpful in creating looks. I also LOVE the liners. They are really smooth and creamy and I find that I wear them even when I'm not wearing shadows in the palette. I've worn all 5 colors of liner (though the gold liner (#20) I wore as a shadow on the lid and topped with the middle gold shadow (#10)from lash line to brow bone, the brown shadow (#18) blended into the crease, and the brown eyeliner used as a liner.

Other great looks:

- #2 on the inside half of the lid, #6 on the outside half of the lid, #7 in the crease with a touch of #12 layered on top and #1 as a highlight color.
- # 15 on the lid, #14 in the crease with a bit of #11 layered on top. #5 as a highlight and # 19 as a liner. This is more of an evening look.

I haven't tried it yet, but I really want to try the row of blues. I'm currently REALLY into my urban decay blues, so I haven't branched out yet to try these.

The only thing I don't like is that the shadows have numbers and not names. But that's not a super big deal to me! Overall, this is a good palette. It's not my favorite (I'm an Urban Decay girl), but if you like softer looks, it may be yours.
on May 2, 2012
The colors are true and the case is very sturdy. This product doesn't get smashed around and broken in the cosmetic drawer. Really like the lid primer, just thought it would come with a nice shadow brush, which it didn't.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I just got this a week ago; the photos online vs. what they look like in reality have a bit of discrepancy.

First of all, I'm just not that into shimmery eye shadows; they have their time and place but the colors looked more matte and neutral online than they appeared when I opened the case in person.

PROS
*There is a lot of selection, and the colors are nice sized. If you don't already have a massive makeup collection, this is nice to get you going. (If you don't mind shimmer)

*The quality is typical top-notch Smashbox; these colors flow easily onto the eye area no matter what kind of brush you use, and they STICK. (I used Urban Decay Primer Potion because the Smashbox primer doesn't do it for me)

*The longevity and durability of these eye colors is just what you expect from Smashbox. I put them on at 8 in the morning and they were still on when I went to wash them off 14 hours later. With just a little adjustment I could have gone from work to 'going out' and not had to spend more than a few seconds doing it.

*They don't end up all over your face, even the shimmery ones. I may not like the shimmer much but not having fallout all over my face is a big plus no matter what.

*The eye color cards are great, they have some nice ideas for techniques and it's not like they are showing you 'how to look like a clown in three steps', they are realistic looks that many would wear.

CONS
*If you aren't into shimmer much, almost all of the colors have some degree of shimmer. There are only a couple of matte shades and they really aren't that exciting. You could buy the 2-3 individual colors for less than the cost of the palette.

*The Smashbox eyelid primer they include is a nice touch, but it doesn't do anything for me. Urban Decay's Primer Potion is THE one to use, and the Smashbox colors stick to it like glue. (Not so much for their own brand)

*For use in an office or professional setting, I don't find this kit to be a good value. There were only a couple of shades, out of the whole box, that I could have worn to work and not felt like a circus freak. In general the shades made my tending-to-pink face look even more flushed, and there was that shimmer factor that just isn't me. I don't mind some shimmery eyeliner pencils here and there but I don't want my eyes to look Gaga-Licious at work. It makes the drunks ask me if I'm married.

Bottom line for me was that it was a no-go, if even half the eye colors worked for me I would have kept it and given it more stars. But for the cost of this, I would expect a higher percentage of usable colors. Maybe this would be ok for someone 18-30 but not for me.
on January 2, 2014
Smashbox never fails to give a nice palette with good pigment. I'm glad I bought it. I use the cream eyeliners as eyeshadow base as well.
on October 15, 2013
Love this brand and the price! Smash box is her favorite makeup brand. She has sensitive skin and does not irritate her skin.
on January 5, 2015
Great for travel and colors are perfect.