Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

96%

on February 26, 2012
I think the title really says it all :-) --I have a very difficult and stressful job. Her CDs get me through it. I will be stirred up like a hornet's nest from work and then go for a walk and listen to one of her CDs. It always does the trick. She has taught me so much, and she does it in a friendly down-to-earth fashion. She is funny and modern. This particular CD is one of my favorite. Fear is etched into the fabric of our lives. This CD will effect anyone. You don't have to be in some horrible emotional place. Hands down, it will give you a deeper perspective and enhance your relationship with all aspects of the world. Buy it!
on January 12, 2012
I have listened to many Pema Chodron books and watched her on video. She has an extraordinary voice and easy to listen to presentation style of complex material making it all very understandable and practiceable.

This is a beautiful DVD of a retreat which cost much more than this DVD to attend. You will get to fully experience it as deeply as you want either through repeated watching or doing the exercises along with the DVD which allows time to shut off the DVD to do them. However if you want as I often do to listen to her words and insights, there are several on here including the questions and answers session that are very revealing of the practice and potential impact on ourselves as well as the world so in need.

Highly recommend for individuals as well as group usage for the exercises.
on November 14, 2012
I received Smile at Fear audio CD, and it is not Pema Chodron reading "Smile at Fear" to you. It is recorded from one of her retreats and she discusses the book's concepts in a very nurturing manner. At the the time of my receiving these CDs (4 CD's) I was going through a difficult struggle of feelings of inadequacy. Pema touches on those same feelings she had with a former friend. It stopped me in my tracks because it made me realize several things I had not thought of, one of which was my need to run away from this feelings, either physically get away or escape with food to comfort me. I can recount many friends I have turned away from and family I have moved away from just to escape these deep feelings of pain and unworthiness, not to mention an extra 30 lbs gained. Pema has helped me to realize that I can touch those feelings as painful as they are and realize that I'm not going to die. She gives great instruction on how to help yourself when you head down a path of emotional pain, which is described as "wind horse". She helps you step by step (3 steps) and then reviews them again with you. I have to say as the holidays approach and I will be forced to share the space with a few of those people who often make me feel bad about myself, I plan to use the steps she has given in hopes of enjoying these people, rather than closing up and preparing myself with dread as I have in the past. She points out that whatever we tend to run away from, those situations will keep arising over and over for us to learn from them. So with this in mind, I look forward to learning from these "teachers" so that as time goes by I will open my heart to any situation rather than run from it. Lastly, I have a few of Pema Chodron's CD's and all have been great but this one has really helped me to see how I have done things in the past and how I can do them differently. I highly recommend this CD to anyone who is looking for a way to love themselves more and to stop escalating the emotional pain that one can get caught up in.
on January 18, 2012
I purchased this in an audio book for a long family road trip to help keep the family in a positive, mindful mood. My husband and I enjoyed it, made the car ride go much faster. The kids were not interested and had their Ipods/Nintendo games going strong!
Smile at Fear, was inspirational and I continue to think of her words when I lose sight of my ultimate goal: To live a vital life. Thank you for helping all of us look inside and view our fear as a device for growth, rather than something that holds us back.
on March 8, 2013
I bought this for myself and one for a friend. We both had the same initial thought before listening to it: smile at fear, REALLY? After listening to it we both felt converted. Chodron doesn't simply suggest that if one smiles enough, with a blindly positive attitude, all fear is eradicated. Instead she suggests ways to understand the nature of fear, our habitual fearful responses, and ways we can perhaps see our circumstances differently, and alter our fearful responses. The "Smile" part would seem to come after a shift in thinking and "knee-jerk" behavior because we can really just lighten up and let go!

After listened to the full set of CDs, I end up going back to the last CD that summarizes them all really well, for a quick "refresher" and helpful reminders. Also I really like the guided meditation at the end of the first CD. It's very helpful to use repeatedly until one begins to become more comfortable with their own meditation practice.

I always say one can't go wrong with anything written by Pema Chodron. It was especially nice to just listen to her words this time. I felt that I could actually relate to her better after hearing her voice, her friendly, very down to earth manner, and the many humorous stories she sprinkles into her talks.
VINE VOICEon February 22, 2012
I can't say enough about this wonderful, deep, accessible, intellectual, yet practical, CD set.

Pema is always right on target. I find listening to her talks more enjoyable than reading her books, even though they are saturated with excellent teachings, because her humor leavens the lessons.
on November 9, 2012
Anything book or retreat recording by Pema is well worth having and Pema is 5 stars, but the product as issued is defective. This item (or my copy) has no disc or track data, so if you want to burn it into iTunes like I am doing, all of the information has to be added manually, otherwise you will lose the sequence from track to track, and that is disconcerting when it happens. There's no issue with just putting disc 1 in a player and listening, disc 2 etc., but if transferring it just be aware that you are going to have to utilize your practice!
on November 15, 2012
She is the best. Her teachings are user friendly and very helpful. She is definitely down to earth and you feel she knows what she is talking about because she is living it too and have done the work and is still doing the work. I have read and heard so much of her work and it always is a treat to learn from her. She is highly recommended by me.

P.S. Even though Buddhist teachings, they are helpful to anyone.
on October 7, 2012
I was feeling horribly anxious about an upcoming dental procedure and knew I needed more Mindfulness Meditation.

I saw this DVD on Amazon as I searched the Pema Chodron section. The title "Smile at Fear" was just what the doctor ordered. I paid the extra one-day shipping charge on Amazon Prime, got the DVD the next day, and sat calmly, listening to Pema's wisdom. After a good night's sleep, I listened to the rest of the DVD. While I was not without fear, I learned that "turning into the fear" was much more helpful than running away.

I had the dental surgery, going into it with a quiet acceptance, saying to myself "These people are here to help you, not hurt you." Afterwards, I asked myself, what was the big deal? I was braver than I thought I could be.

Thank you, Pema Chodron.
on July 6, 2013
LOVE PEMA CHODRON. LOVE HER DIRECT, SIMPLE AND INSPIRATIONAL VIEW OF LIFE THAT SHE HAS ACTUALLY LIVED IN B THE HIGHS AND LOWS , THE BORING, THE DREARY THE JOYOUS, THE FREE..,JUST LIKE ME!
LOVE HER VOICE, SENSE OF HUMOUR AND THE " PRESENTATION" -- ALTHOUGH I FELT SHE WAS SORT OF TALKING FREE FORM TO ME. ( THERE WERE OVER 3.000 ON THIS WORKSHOP WEEKEND).
I RECOMMEND THESE TAPES 100%--HAVE THEM IN THE CAR TO HELP WASH MY BRAIN OF THE GARBAGE , DAILY.