5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining
For what it is- I really liked it. Lot's of blood. Lots of screaming. Lots of what I need when I'm in a funky mood.
Published 7 months ago by Amy JB Wagner

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love this
Published 23 months ago by Megan Ross

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love this, January 20, 2013
This review is from: Smiley (DVD)
I wish I could give this movie five stars. I really do. I love the idea of a manifestation of human evil, coming alive through one of our greatest tools. I love the examination of "trolling" behavior and how it looks when people take that attitude into the real world. I love the idea of the extremes we can go through when we have the advantage of anonymity. And I love the idea of humanity being just a step in the evolution of something truly terrifying.

That being said though, the movie itself is a mess. Most of the actors are good, but the script is a jumbled mess. The dialogue is so overly-dramatic and jarring. It sounds to me like the writers spent a lot of time researching the inner-working of internet communities and personalities in a textbook, but never actually bothered to go online.

I enjoyed the reveal towards the end and thought it made for a very good ending, but the actual last couple of minutes were a little disappointing and predictable.

I think the filmmakers have some great ideas, but could really use some more time at the drawing board, trying to figure out the execution.

I give it three stars for the effort, because I am very impressed with the idea behind it, but I'm willing to admit that it's a generous rating, considering how the whole thing actually panned out.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm not smiling, June 7, 2014
This review is from: Smiley (Amazon Instant Video)
This movie take a lot of buzzwords that you might overhear your kids using when their talking with your friends and goes to the utmost lengths to demonize them, Anonymous, Lulz, (which the repeat three times thing is just so corny here unlike its originater the Candyman/Bloody Mary), and a few feigned attempts at actual tech jaragon are trotted out like scary boogiemen than the titular character. I really wanted to like Smiley, I liked the makeup, he seemed like he'd be a pretty fun take on a modern day slasher. Sadly nothing could be further from the truth as all the updated slang is just their to cover the fact that every other idea in this movie is cliche at best and dated at worst.

A lot of reviews I've read say this movie ripped off Scream. The trope of 'don't trust people from the interwebs you guyz!' is what this movie is really based on, and frankly I wish it had stuck closer to Scream in that regard, at least the killers in that movie had a believable motive...and no hocus pocus ending. The final 'scare' of this movie would be called pathetically un-scary if every other scare in this movie wasn't the same telegraphed rubbish. Is a character not looking at something and the soundtrack quiet? As soon as she/he turns there will be a loud blast from the sound track and a little 'boo' whether one is deserved or not, or whether it even makes sense or not. Other horror movies have committed this crime, but at least they usually have something worth jumping about.

If your looking for a movie in the old 80's slasher movie vein, steer clear of this one. If your looking for a movie that has the same corny tropes and sarcastic humor of 90's slasher films, stay WELL clear of this one. If your looking for a movie that reduces the internet and collage communities to the lowest common denominator for no readily understandable reason and then justify it with a snatch of slang that was probably the basis for this entire movie? Go nuts, grab some popcorn. But you won;t be scared unless you jump at loud noises.

Honestly I doubt Smiley will ever be big at Halloween. Stick with Ghostface.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, May 4, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Could have been bad-a**...., February 14, 2013
This review is from: Smiley (DVD)
This film had the potential to be very good, as it was a great idea and the character Smiley is memorable, creepy and cool at the same time. This film suffers from a very weak script and some of the acting leaves a lot to be desired. Even the cameo by veteren actor Keith David is disappointing. It was hard to watch it all the way through, as it was so predictable, untill it wasn't even funny. A better script, better acting and better editing would have made this film truly bad a**. I pray that they don't make any sequels. Once is enough!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasant Surprise., February 18, 2013
This review is from: Smiley (DVD)
I highly reccomend reading all the one star reviews before watching this. That being said any person handing this film one star is no film junkie and certainly no horror film junkie. There are far worse acted and directed films on the market today by far. Was this a masterpiece of modern horror...no. Do I think it was intended to be...no. How can one watch a horror film about a mass murderer named Smiley and take it seriously? All that being said Smiley delivered with the chills and threw in a couple of twists whether predicatable or not suited the feal of the film well. Kind of a modernized Nightmare on Elm Street/Candyman type for me...at least those are the films I found myself comparing it to while watching. So if your going to go in thinking this is going to knock your socks off don't bother you'll sound like a cliche' bash reviewer. Go on assuming this has a campy factor to it and won't regret it. I'm rewatching.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could be the worst movie I've ever seen. Seriously., February 5, 2013
This review is from: Smiley (DVD)
When I first heard about this movie, I was very excited. The trailer looked scary as hell, and the premise was new and original for the slasher subgenre within horror. The mask was awesome (and still is), plus, Keith David (John Carpenter's The Thing, They Live, There's Something About Mary) was in it, how could it be bad? I was telling people about it, genuinely excited for its release. I even shelled out money to the website that the movie would premiere on, promising behind the scenes looks into the 'Making Of'. I joined their video submission contest to see if it would get into the movie. Independent movies like this, especially horror, are what really give fans things that are new and original, so I am happy to support them.

And then I saw it.

Now, this follows the fact that a week before the movie was set to premiere on VOD, the whole idea was shaken up, and AMC Theaters bought the rights to show the movie in various cities around the country, mine included. Great! I went to the theater, and watched. Good God, I can't describe what happens next.

It's awful. Not just regular awful, God-awful. Not 'so bad it's good', this movie reaches levels of 'so bad, it's completely embarrassing'. That in and of itself is interesting, because this is the type of movie that is so bad, it actually is worth discussing, surpassing all bad movies before it, into something completely new. I would even consider having this sitting on my shelf to show people just how bad things can get in the movies. Have you ever been water-boarded? Just watch this movie. You want to put hot spikes into your eyes? Don't worry, this movie fills in as an equivalent, it'll do the trick!

The story is about a girl, Ashley, who goes off to college after her mother dies. She has a fractured relationship with her dad (of course), and afraid of making close friendships of any kind. She meets her roommate, Proxy (seriously, that's her name), and a weird subculture of hackers, including guys named Zane, Binder, and Flasher (seriously, those are their names). She learns of an urban legend of a killer named Smiley, who kills people over internet video chat rooms. Whenever someone chats with someone over the system, and says "I did it for the LULZ" three times (yea, seriously, it's really bad), Smiley will appear from behind them, and kill them on screen for that person to see. So, of course, the characters all do this throughout the movie, people die, Ashley gets worried, blah, blah, blah. This all leads to the end, where it is supposedly a huge twist, but turns out to be nothing more than a lame excuse to try and salvage this movie. I mean, did you read what I just described, because all of that is true. It's in the movie.

The offenders are writer/director Michael Gallagher and lead actress, Caitlin Gerard, who plays Ashley. I do give *some* credit to the original idea here. But that is where it stops. Gallagher should be kicked out of all writing and directing circles, and forced to film The Howling Part 8 or Child's Play 7 as his next feature, if he makes another one at all, only. That's it. I'm not sure he's capable of something better to be honest, and it's a shame, because there were some great ideas here, completely squandered away with the weakest of weak scripts, and pathetic film-making duties.

Of course, there's also the lead actress, Caitlin Gerard, who I most recently saw in a McDonald's commercial. That's right, she is such a good actress, she scored a spot in a silent McDonald's commercial, as a girl who plays horseshoes. I can't make this up folks, this might be the worst performance ever captured on film. She is not believable as a damsel in distress, she can't scream IN A HORROR MOVIE, hell, she can't even party or vomit right on film. If she is ever in another film, I think it would be OK for the film-makers to threaten the studio to quit before moving forward with her, even as an extra.

Are you still here? How could I have written so much about this thing? I'm telling you, this movie is new to the word, bad. Curious about this thing now? If you are a fan of horror, sure, give it a whirl, and see what never to do as a writer, director, actor, casting director, anything. This is a cautionary tale about what not to do. How they roped Keith David in, I will never understand, he deserves better than this. Enemies deserve better than this. Amazon should really allow 0 stars, because 1 is WAY too good for this. But if you are still inclined, watch at your own risk. It'll be the most fun you had since you squeezed lemon juice in your open wound, and cleaned it out with a wire brush.

3.0 out of 5 stars YOU ENJOY THE STRANGE?, May 1, 2013

I DID IT FOR THE LULZ.

Ashley (Caitlin Gerard) goes to college and rents a room off campus. She meets a crowd of other young people and is exposed to an "urban legend" about Smiley, a killing who appears and kills the person you are chatting with if you type in a sentence three times...and really want it.

Ashley also attends a class which discusses Occum's Razor among other things that tie into the overall theme.

The killer appears.

The film is less slasher and more of a psychological thriller. The problem I had was the action centered around Ashley who didn't do enough to excite me. The characters were not well developed. Had this film been done with different actors and a slightly better script it would have been killer, instead of just another me-too slasher.

Parental Guide: F-bomb, sex, and nudity

3.0 out of 5 stars A slasher killer for the now, July 28, 2014
This review is from: Smiley (Amazon Instant Video)
Smiley delivers a fun horror ride with a slasher killer for the newer generations. Once you get passed the pretty horrible acting carried out by the main characters, the movie really was enjoyable. Jumpy, fun and a new approach to a classic piece of the horror genre... the serial killer, Smiley is a great way to get some quick thrills. Grab some popcorn and enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really that great, February 5, 2013
This review is from: Smiley (Amazon Instant Video)
Too bad for all of you who actually paid to watch this. I managed to find it on some random web site and watch it for free in HD quality. The movie really isn't that great and I mostly watched it just because of all the popular YouTubers in it. I could not stand Caitlin Gerard or whatever her name is. She comes off as this super whiny, easily freaked out, naive twit. It was completely annoying. I just kept wishing she would shut up. The rest was rather hum drum and not really scary. I mean if you want to kill time and watch some YouTubers doing something different from their regular vlogs and skits, go ahead and watch it. But if you're expecting something original and awesome, look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Smiley a movie review, February 4, 2013
This review is from: Smiley (Amazon Instant Video)
I just finished watching Smiley on Amazon on Demand. I was dissapointed. The best part of the movie is the cool looking cover. Spoiler Alert - The basics of this movie is about a typical confused 18 year old girl who is socially awkward and very naive. She gets drawn into a ridiculous idea about a urban legend from a group of pot smoking college age teens, involving an internet chat room and speaking some goofy phrase will bring out a so called serial killer that causes the deaths of the person you are chatting with. I think a very similar movie has already been done before, at least once. I feel its time to move on from the teen based horror film and into more of the modern horror film construct with a more complex story and cast. I am very happy I didn't buy this movie. I had it ordered, then after I watched it, I immediatly canceled the order. Their are allot more horror movies to buy that are much much better. Without a doubt this movie would have failed miserably at the box office.

Smiley
Smiley by Michael Gallagher (DVD - 2013)
$14.99 $4.99