5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!
This knife is amazing!

Pros:
Sharp
Sexy
Heavy Duty
Good Quality
Comfortable
Flips open with ease!
Grips on side keep knife from slipping in your hand when wet.
Seatbelt cutter/window punch
Price

Cons
The knife is a bit large and heavy.

Overall you can not get a better knife for the...
Published on March 26, 2011 by AaronGH

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay knife, but doesn't sharpen well.
Fair knife. The glass breaker and seatbelt cutter are nice insurance policies to have. The knife is very sturdy and heavy, and gives a very satisfying click when you open it.

Published 13 months ago by TJ Mott

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, March 26, 2011
This review is from: Smith & Wesson SWBG2TS Border Guard 2 Rescue Knife with 40% Serrated Tanto Blade, Glass Break, and Seatbelt Cutter, Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
This knife is amazing!

Pros:
Sharp
Sexy
Heavy Duty
Good Quality
Comfortable
Flips open with ease!
Grips on side keep knife from slipping in your hand when wet.
Seatbelt cutter/window punch
Price

Cons
The knife is a bit large and heavy.

Overall you can not get a better knife for the money!

***UPDATE 7/6/2011***

After 3.5 months this has become my favorite knife by far! I work on a boat in the summer and this knife has taken some abuse. It has remained sharp and works as well as it did when I first pulled it out of the package. Sadly I just recently lost my knife. I have just ordered my self a replacement. I LOVE this knife!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Working Tool, December 22, 2011
As a public safety instructor (LE & Fire) with over 22 years service, I would recommend the S&W SWBG2TS Border Guard 2 as a substantial tool and ideal for law enforcement, firefighting or EMS/first responder duties as well as any other outdoor, sporting or work activity demanding a heavyweight folding blade.

At 5.6" length and 8.8 ounces, the knife is long and extremely heavy for its size compared to typical blades in this class - more than most people will want for EDC (Every Day Carry) unless a knife of this size is preferred or needed. I wear 2XL gloves and have a size 15 ring size. The knife is a good fit in my rather large paw.

The side plates are machined aluminum, adding considerably to the weight of the knife. The plates are painted/coated black, but will likely show wear and lose the finish very quickly if carried and handled on a regular basis. Most knives of this style use a modern plastic that is less likely to show wear.

This design of this knife is better for a right handed user. The heavy duty clip presses against the palm of the right hand while in use, and the outer three fingertips are in contact with a gripping surface similar to a course scouring pad. In the left hand, the fingers are pressed against the clip in a less-than-ideal position. The clip is not relocatable to any other position on the knife, so lefties - be advised.

I had no problem using the knife wearing nitrile medical gloves, lightweight 5.11 patrol gloves, lightly insulated leather patrol gloves, or Kevlar extrication gloves. The thumb stud is large and protrudes far enough from the blade to be functional. However, with structural firefighting gloves I was unable to positively open the blade with the thumb stud due to the overall thickness and inner waterproof membrane interfering with my thumb obtaining a firm purchase. I was still able to open the blade the old fashioned way by gripping the blade with my off hand and pulling the blade open.

A little Break-Free oil improved opening smoothness, which was acceptable on arrival anyway.

Hardware is all 6-point star head screws, a little harder to find than a standard allen wrench/hex key.

Factory sharpness was acceptable, with a bevel good for a working tool. Don't expect to shave without spending some time with a stone.

With a 4.4" tanto blade, the knife would prove effective in an emergency self-defense scenario. If you intend to carry this knife concealed, take the time to familiarize yourself with weapon carry laws in your state (and any you plan to visit). Many states would consider this knife a concealed weapon. A previous review dubbed this knife a "POCKET SWORD." I would concur with that opinion.

Is it a good knife?

I bought 4 of them for the outdoor-types in my family for gifts when I found them on Amazon at $14.41, qualified for free shipping. I'm keeping one (Sorry, brother-in-law - you're getting something else now!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality knife at a great price!, June 6, 2010
When I received this knife I was surprised by both the size and quality. Both the blade and handle are solid, providing great weight, durability, and balance. The description states the handle is aluminum, however, I would have never known judging by its strength and weight. The blade opens with ease and locks securely in place. The handle has finger grooves and gripping material providing great slip resistance, as well as a strong durable pocket clip. I own several other Smith & Wesson knives, including Rescue Knives, and have encountered issues including the pocket clip falling off and poor quality blade/handle materials. I can say from past experience, this knife is truly a "quality" tool and puts its predecessors to shame. I am very impressed with this product and would strongly recommend it to others, as it is built to last and withstand the hardships of everyday use! A definite must have for first responders!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, July 7, 2011
Seeing as I am Active Duty Air Force, I am accustomed to using automatic knives from Benchmade and Gerber. Not surprisingly, I was skeptical on the quality, name and durability of these knives. I went ahead and ordered one and it arrived this afternoon. What came out of the mailer absolutely floored me.

This is no knife; it is practically a POCKET SWORD. It has a nice weight and feel to it, and it has a kind of a scary appearnce if one has never seen these before. I would like to get the non-serrated version later on. For around $20, one cannot go wrong in having one of these for your car or carrying one on your person in an emergency. I have not tested the glass breaker and/or seatbelt cutter, and I hope I will never have to.

I would recommend this to anyone if they looking for a low cost knife that has the same functions as a top-dollar knife. Kudos!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay knife, but doesn't sharpen well., November 4, 2013

However the blade is made of cheap metal. If you actually manage to get a decent edge on it somehow, it will wear very quickly. I'm not a knife expert and couldn't get it sharp. I took it to my friend who can usually get a scalpel-like edge on any blade and even he couldn't sharpen it.

Good if you want a scary-looking knife or an emergency knife in your vehicle. Bad for every-day carry because it's so hard to keep sharp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great general purpose knofe for the money!, January 1, 2012
I just purchased this for my son and I as he lost both of ours within a forty-eight hour period! Let me say though, that we have had this knife for over a year without any issues and no noticiable wear and tear. I wear a slightly smaller clip knife when I am wearing my business clothes or a suit as this is a little bulky. So I don't get the same use from this as my twenty year old son - who carries it everyday, all day long. The blade opens easily one handed, holds an edge quite nicely and the S&W sharpener with a hone for searrated blades does a nice job on keeping the serrated portion sharp. It does a passable job on cutting seatbelts - although I would caution you from trying it too often as you need to disassemble the knife to sharpen the blade. THe window breaker does a great job without a ton of force. It took a couple of tests at a friends junk yard to get the feel without killing my hand, but did ten in a row with only one strike. So unlike the flimsy hammer types sold elsewhere online, I know this one will do the trick when I need it.

Overall? Can't find a better first responder type knife that'll beat this one at this price point. A nice knife to have for a daily user that needs to withstand abuse.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blade lock not safe, January 14, 2014
The locking mechanism that is designed to lock the blade often slips. As you can imagine, if you are really using this heavy knife as it was designed, you could loose a finger. Even an old fashioned company like S&W manufactures overseas and does not properly quality control its products. Don't blame it on the country of creation, cheap products are the producing companies problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a terrible knife, June 28, 2013
Length:: 4:13 Mins

I used to own a Smith and Wesson SWAT folding knife that I really liked and as a result made the mistake of purchasing this knife. You see, this knife is NOT made by Smith and Wesson but by another company called Taylor Brands, LLC who acquired the license to put the Smith and Wesson name on their INFERIOR products. I really wish I had done more research before purchasing this knife because I absolutely HATE it. Let me break it down for you:

Pros:
-It can cut
-It has a glass breaker and a seatbelt cutter, if you need that sort of thing

Cons:
-It's not just big, it's RIDICULOUSLY big
-It's heavy
-It has questionable design decisions (like the sandpaper finish on the handle)
-The tension on the liner lock is VERY high (at least on my particular blade)
-There is no cutaway in the handle to provide easy access to the liner lock
-It uses poor quality steel (but what do you really expect at this price point?)
-It's not made by Smith & Wesson
-Even though it's cheap, I still feel like I paid too much for it

If I wanted my knives to be large and unwieldy, I'd get a fixed-blade knife. But if you're the kind of person who needs a knife and you intend to just keep it in your car or tackle box and you really REALLY don't want to spend the extra money to get a good knife like a Spyderco or a SOG, you might be okay with this. I am not.

Seriously, avoid this thing. I have no idea why it has so many positive reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Belt cutter does NOT WORK, February 15, 2014
E. Price (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
I bought this knife to keep in my car for emergencies. Fortunately, I found it on sale locally for very little money (under $10). I would have been even more unhappy if I'd paid any more for it.

I recycle car seats and one day I decided I would try out the belt cutter on old car seat straps to see how it worked. I'm glad I gave it a test run because it... doesn't work. At all. Not just, "It's not as smooth or fast as I'd like" but it seriously takes a lot of work just to fray the belt. It will NOT cut through a belt no matter how hard you try.

The knife, fortunately, slices through a car seat harness like butter. So I still use the tool for recycling old car seats, however I would not use this in an emergency situation and I no longer bother keeping it in my car. I'm in the market for a new emergency tool for the vehicle.

I haven't had occasion to test out the glass breaker.

I was going to send it in for warranty repair, but the company that makes the knife (which is not Smith & Wesson, as others have noted in their reviews) did not respond to my inquiry and, besides, it would cost more to ship it both ways (customer's responsibility!!) than I paid for the knife.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away, January 8, 2014
Just like other reviews this is not a true s&w and the blade does not stay locked. Look for another brand