2,603 Reviews
 (1,582)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing since sliced bread
Published on March 30, 2009 by Douglas M. Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't use this on your fine knives.
Good sharpener but with caveats.

Positives: small size, carbide cutters are very effective at removing metal, ease of use (no special techniques)

Negatives: small contact point on the blade (see below, not very stable if much pressure is applied

Published on May 21, 2010 by D. Palm

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing since sliced bread, March 30, 2009
Douglas M. Anderson (Oak Harbor, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener (Tools & Home Improvement)
Are there "better" sharpeners on the market? Probubly. But as an all around sharpener (I have several styles by several different manufacturers) this little gem is hands down THE BEST! Otherwise I would not have spent a week tracking this one down on the internet after all my local suppliers were "out of stock" or had moved on to more expensive less useful models. The thing folds up and goes in my pocket, it also has a handy hole for a lanyard which my new one is on. It does a great job on my chefs knives, my hunting knife and my serrated kives as well. It's easy for my big fingers to hold on to and steady on the edge of the counter when I am sharpening. I bought an extra one to put away in case this one gets "lost" or I give mine away to a friend. (In case you can't tell I really like it and would buy another one in a minute flat!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little sharpener, June 16, 2009
C. Zacharias (Kelowna, British Columbia) - See all my reviews
I have been sharpening my own knives for years using the Gatco system. Normally I wouldn't trust my knives to anything but me and my Gatco. However, I do tend to spend a lot of time out in the woods and having a portable knife sharpener is an important part of my gear.

I was initially very hesitant to try this style of sharpener since the sharpening angle is fixed and not determined by me. Having now used the Smith's sharpener on several of my hunting and camping knives, I am recommending it to all my friends and have even purchased one for my hunting partner.

Great product, and I would buy it even at twice the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sharpener even better than Smith's Abrasives 2 Step Knife Sharpener, December 30, 2008
This is a great sharpener it makes knives super sharp but not quite razor sharp it is much better than Smith's Abrasives 2 Step Knife Sharpener, that sharpener gets knives just as sharp as it has the same angles to the ceramic part of the sharpener; but that uses rods which get loose and end up rolling as you draw your knife through it and don't sharpen your knife. Also this is easier to get a blade into the ceramic sharpening part. This also includes a serrated knife sharpener, and this works well but i can't say much for it as it is the first serrated knife sharpener i have ever used.

i recommend pulling the blade through the carbide part 10 times using semi heavy to medium force, the using the ceramic part about 10 times using medium force then lighting up to about as light as you can get by the 10th stroke
skip the carbide part if your knife is already adequately sharp, only use the carbide part if your knife i dull or damaged as it takes off a lot of steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sharpener, limited to general utility grind angle., May 7, 2011
This sharpener is a wonderful tool if used properly. There is surperb feedback from the edge as you sharpen it. I avoid the carbide unless the edge is damaged and I can't get to my sharpening stones. The carbide blades are aggressive I really only use them with a light touch to remove a nick or burr if I did something stupid and damaged the edge. Remember, unless YOU make a mistake and damage the edge, you should never get a burr or nick in your blade. Still it's good to have the carbide if it's needed. The ceramic I use in the morning, before I use the knife, to touch up the edge. Several passes with a light touch is all that's needed. Occasionally I touch it up during the day if I feel the blade dragging a bit.

It is possible to damage a blade with this (or any other) sharpener. Operator error, not the tool, would be the issue there. Uneven pressure, too heavy a pressure or too much haste are the main culprits causing trouble. This is a lightweight, small tool, it is best used with finesse. it is far better suited to several light, controlled strokes rather than a heavy handed mauling of your edge.

Also note that the grind angle is fixed at a fairly shallow angle that is not the best for fine edges. This is a utility grind angle. An angle best suited to field knives, kitchen choppers and general kitchen utility blades. With gentle use the ceramic can be use on fine edges, but a steeper angled tool would do a better job. Still, I do use the ceramic sharpening notch to touch up my kitchen knives and it does a decent job.

I've carried one of these ever since I first found them. I own several and have had a few "begged away" by friends. I've used it extensively. I've never damaged an edge or created a wavy, uneven edge. If you do manage that, you're not using the sharpener correctly. Light passes, even pressure and PAY ATTENTION. Avoid using the carbide unless you have a damaged or severely blunted/rounded edge. Even then, those problems are better fixed with a good quality stone. You can completely restore an edge with this tool, but it's takes more time and far more concentration that using a large stone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't use this on your fine knives., May 21, 2010
D. Palm "Palm" (Long Beach, ca USA) - See all my reviews
Good sharpener but with caveats.

Due to the small contact point with the blade, pressure is directed onto a very small portion of the blade. This pressure will vary as you slide the blade through the sharpener (either as a result of nicks in the blade or human error/ inability to maintain perfect pressure). As a result you will end up with a slightly wavy edge to knife. Over time this waviness will likely be exaggerated.

I would say this sharpener is okay for a "quick and dirty" field sharpening of a camping or pocket knife, but I would not use it on fine blade steel or good kitchen knives.

Cheers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for pocket knives and camping knives, September 15, 2010
Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multi-Functional Knife Sharpener is a worthwhile knife sharpener that is easy to use, compact, very affordable and perfect for field use when a quick sharpening is needed.

The Carbides provide a quick edge setting for knives that are very dull or chipped. The ceramic stone provides a razor sharp finished edge. The carbide and ceramic stones are replaceable. A fold out, tapered round, diamond coated rod is designed for sharpening serrated as well as standard edges. The Pocket Pal Multi-Functional Knife Sharpener is lightweight, durable, and comes with a lanyard hole. It is small enough to put in your pocket if necessary or in an E.D.C. bag.

I tested this sharpener on numerous knives such as a Spyderco, Ka-Bar Tactical, Leatherman, Air Force Survival knife and multiple Swiss Army Knives. I was very pleased how effective and efficient this sharpener worked. The tapered round, diamond coated rod was very easy to use on serrations. The only problem I encountered with this sharpener is that it does not seem to work as well with thicker blades. It does work but it is a little more difficult and the carbides seem to wear the blade down a bit more which is why I give it 4 stars instead of 5. I would not use this sharpener with a very high quality or expensive knife. I would say this sharpener is perfect for those times when a fast field sharpening of a camping or pocket knife is required.

Overall, I highly recommend this product and I will be purchasing another as a backup.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST POCKET KNIFE SHARPENER EVER!!!, November 3, 2009
Bought this sharpener on a whim while at a local sporting goods store. I badly dulled one of my favorite pocket knives from over use. Impatiently, I tore open the package in my car and went to work. I figured that if the sharpener was bogus, I could just walk right back into the store and return it.

WOW!!! Was I surprised. This thing is amazing! A few passes through the carbide blades followed by a few through the ceramic and I was sold. Brand new, my knife was NEVER this sharp - and it only took a few seconds.

It's compact, light weight, amazingly effective and idiot proof. If you're thinking about getting one of these, don't even hesitate - just buy it.

Still can't believe that this thing is only $10. Best money I've ever spent.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste...., November 28, 2011
I bought this based on the good reviews form here and from you tube. But through personal experience; this sucks.
the carbide blades just remove the material from the edge and the ceramic doesn't do much for it either; in fact it actually takes away the just sharpened edge and makes it dull. The "diamond" rod also doesn't do much for serrated blades as it just roughs up the area and doesn't create a usable edge.
Basically it sucks....
it hard to hold in place, it doesn't live up to it name except the "pocket" part, the carbide removes too much and the ceramic doesnt refine it enough and the diamond rod is useless and its has a very cheap; made in china look and feel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even in an emergency..., January 26, 2011
To preface this review, please note that I do know how to sharpen...and sharpen WELL. Even my kitchen knives will not only shave but SCARE the hair from your arms. I have another pocket sharpener by Gerber that works reasonably well (for emergency field use), but this one had the rod for serrated edges so I purchased this item for a small survival kit.

Mistake...

The rod broke off during my first use. It's screwed into a plastic holder only 3/16" deep. No way the tiny steel threads (1/16" diameter) will hold in that soft plastic. The other 2 sharpening grooves are next to useless. Only if your existing bevel matches the angles of the guides PERFECTLY and the knife is very THIN will you even get an edge...and I use that term loosely.

So, for all practical intents and purposes, I bought a tapered diamond sharpening stick which I have to mount in my own handle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Outdoor Accessoy, October 8, 2009
ADNJ (Here & There, USA) - See all my reviews
The hardest part is keeping a good serrated knife edge sharp. This handles that chore very well. The ceramic and carbide edges do a great job of dressing up just about any blade.

Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener