5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Identifying Rocks and Minerals!
When I took Geology in college, I loved the course. I only had one problem. It was very difficult for me to identify rocks and minerals in the field. If I had had this pocket field guide, the course would have been a snap.
Now, I enjoy taking my children to study outcroppings, and this book will be a great addition to our investigations.
First, the...
Published on February 18, 2001 by Donald Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars Improvements Needed
This guide is nicely presented, but it's mostly useless on its own as a guidebook.

PROS: The photos are great.
The data presented is thorough but complicated.

CONS: Worst of all, there are NO MAPS or other indications as to where on Earth the minerals and rocks occur. Can you imagine a bird guide with no range maps?
Descriptions are...
Published 16 months ago by ZenBirder

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Identifying Rocks and Minerals!, February 18, 2001
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
First, the photographs are stunning. In fact, any temptation I might have had to develop my own samples is set aside by having these wonderful images to use.
Second, the information is detailed and thorough. There is a lot about the crystalline structure of each mineral, the hardness, and many tests that are specific to that particular mineral. There is a very good section that describes how to apply the hardness tests (I always had trouble memorizing that area for some reason). There is plenty of good safety information for how to use the various acids that can be employed to identify minerals. Everything is nicely summarized so it is easy to find.
Third, all those subtle distinctions about various kinds of igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks that used to puzzle me are very clear here. Whew!
Fourth, the book has great directions for locating good spots to examine rocks.
Fifth, you also receive a wonderful description of the equipment you need, and ways to use it safely.
Whether you think you like rocks or not, you should give this book a try. It will open up a very interesting world full of ways to locate and identify interesting rocks and understand the stories they can tell. As a result, you will have immensely more understanding of the world around you.
I also suggest that you read up on plate mechanics as well, so that you understand more about how the landscape is formed before erosion takes over. The combined knowledge of these two areas will greatly add to your understanding and appreciation of evolution.
Get in touch with the physical world around you as foundation knowledge!

5.0 out of 5 stars a must have for any rockhound or gem and crystal lover, September 5, 2005
J. Malnar (Zagreb Croatia) - See all my reviews
I am more of a gem and crystal lover myself, yet I am happy to own this book. Whenever I go thru it I have a real URGE to go out hunting! Very comprehensive, quite technical, classifies rocks and minerals according to chemical formula (sulphides, oxides, halides, carbonates etc) or type of formation (sedimentary, metamorphic, igneous), and then works thru ecah subgruop alphabetically. Detailed descriptions, chemistry, hardness, tests, BEAUTIFUL photos, detailed index and glossary. Only thing I am missing is WHERE ON EARTH am I most likely to find them (especially the ones I absolutely LOVE), so I can plan my next vacation :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture Resource, March 8, 2007
This review is from: Smithsonian Handbooks: Rocks & Minerals (Smithsonian Handbooks) (Paperback)
I have been looking for a field guide for my 6-year-old son and could only find books for children that gave a general overview of rocks and minerals. This book is the one I have been looking for. I knew that DK would be the publisher to give me what I wanted. In DK fashion, the pages are easy to read without a lot of text clunking up the page. The rocks are organized in nice boxes with information laid out neatly and unobtrusively. Each page features two new rocks with a large full-color picture of each. This is now his favorite book. It has all of the information we have been looking for in a concise, easy-to-read format. Each profile gives the name and visual outline of crystal system; specific gravity; cleavage; fracture; chemical test to confirm identification; mineral-forming environment; main text describes mineral's identifying features; standard name of the mineral; chemical group to which the mineral belongs; chemical formula for the mineral; hardness according to the Mohs' scale; variations of the mineral shown in full-color when applicable; annotations identifying mineral's main identifying features. I LOVE this book. It is a great book for kids(who eat, sleep, and breathe rocks and minerals) and adults. I am thinking of getting another one just for me. I think this would also be an invaluable resource for classroom teachers. I will be teaching First Grade and will use this book to introduce scientific concepts.

5.0 out of 5 stars GeoNewbie, September 6, 2002
By A Customer
I am new to the study of geology and have found this book to be indispensable in identifying rocks and minerals in the field. It even has a few tips at the beginning about how to do tests, and each mineral suggests tests to further aid in identifying them. It has also been a great reference when reading texts about geology. I use it to look up the rocks and minerals mentioned there. Very helpful for later field study. The least I can say is: buy this book, it is EXCELLENT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear & Beautifully Presented, June 29, 2007
I bought this for my 7-yr. old daughter - budding rock hound and naturalist! Like other DK books, the photography is luscious and the layout is casual and very inviting - full of beautiful images.

It provides a great overview of rocks and minerals, including tools used to find them, the different characteristics and where specific types of rocks and minerals can be found. It also provides detailed "specifics" such as classification, occurence and cleavage - as appropriate.

This is a thoroughly engaging book for all ages and it is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I enthusiastically recommend it!, October 1, 1999
By A Customer
After wading through a half-dozen mineral guides i found this one to be a gem (pun intended). It has large labeled photographs to aid in identification and a very user friendly format. There is enough information here for the extremely curious and features enough to excite dormant curiosity. At the same time, the author's concise style and avoidance of excessive technical jargon make this book appealing even to the very young. I also appreciate his avoidance of pat answers where none have been conclusively found, as when he states that tektite "were once believed to be meteorites" but that "they may not in fact have an extra-terrestrial origin". In short, this is a great addition to any home library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful photography, October 6, 2000
R. Haldeman "ruth" (Lemont, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Dorling Kindersley's Handbook of Rocks and Minerals is a more systematick approach to identification. Each entry has a sharp color photo, group name, composition, hardness, SG, cleavage, fracture, formation and tests for id. Thes is a nice basic reference book and a good size (8.5"x6") to tote along. A glossery defines technical terms, common in scientific descriptions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocks and Minerals, March 29, 2006
B. Miller (San Bernardino, CA) - See all my reviews
This is the one book I was looking for, with good close-up pictures. Pictures that point out the small things on rocks or minerals you want to look for. It could be a small mass of fibers or small group of crystals. It sections off a mineral so you know what the different colors are. If you have any type of sight problems, this is more that helpful! I recommend this book for all beginners and anyone who just might be curious. It is well worth your money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great handbook!, January 28, 2000
I too am in Science Olympiad (div. B), and I found this to be one of the most reliable handbooks that I have used when participating in this event. Its sleek organization and excellent presentation of information make this the best choice among the myriad others that are available.

2.0 out of 5 stars Improvements Needed, July 7, 2013

PROS: The photos are great.
The data presented is thorough but complicated.

Descriptions are thorough but overly complicated, what with chemical formulae and crystal system diagrams.
There is no provision for identifying samples found in the field.
Updates should also delete the photos of the 1970s vintage camera as well as the 3.5" and 5.25" floppy disks.

Smithsonian Handbooks: Rocks & Minerals (Smithsonian Handbooks)
Smithsonian Handbooks: Rocks & Minerals (Smithsonian Handbooks) by Chris Pellant (Paperback - September 1, 2002)
$22.00 $15.24