5.0 out of 5 stars The Lynch Mob Finally Returns!
Published on October 13, 2009 by Annette M. Cordova

3.0 out of 5 stars A band in desperate need of a producer
Published on August 15, 2011 by Gregory Olsen

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lynch Mob Finally Returns!, October 13, 2009
This review is from: Smoke & Mirrors (Audio CD)
It's been 20 long years since we last saw or heard of the "real" Lynch Mob. A lot has gone on with George Lynch ever since the highly under-rated 1990 Debut Album: "Wicked Sensation" was released. That album featured the unique vocals of "Oni Logan", George Lynch playing at his prime, Anthony Esposito running the bass at his best, and "Wild" Mick Brown of Dokken with the Mob, just kicking it and making a rocking record. After that album was released, due to alchohol problems, Oni was kicked out of the band soon after the "Wicked Sensation" Tour and George moved on with "Robert Mason" who although was very good, didn't really have the chemestry that Oni and George had on that first album.

After a Dokken reunion, and a load of solo albums and albums titled with the "Lynch Mob" name that didn't really give it justice, George Lynch has finally given the fans what they've wanted for so long, yes, he's back with Oni Logan at the lead and man, just listening to all these tracks shows that the chemistry is clearly back and rocking as hard as ever.

I'm not going to bother reviewing every track, as "All" and I mean "All" the tracks on this album are either very amazing or "Exceptional". But, I will give you the highlights that will just hit you in the face from the moment you hear it.

21st Century Man: Wow, you know that feeling you get when you're at a concert and the band is finally going to come out, and next thing you know they come out and the hairs on the back of your neck stick up? you'll get that feeling immediately after you pop this disc in. The Track Rocks from Top to Bottom and Lynch is almost trying to tell you that he's going to rock you're ear drums.

Smoke and Mirrors: This bluesy title track is just amazing.

My Kind Of Healer: almost like a "Wicked Sensation" Part 2, awesome.

Time Keepers: to me, this is the Magnum-Opus of the album, just heavy and chugging with an exceptional solo from Lynch.

The Phacist: almost like a Lost Dokken Track.

Madly Backwards: Has a Thin-Lizzy 70's Rock N' Roll Vibe that just rocks.

We Will Remain: almost, like a Yngwie Malmsteen meets George Lynch sounding track, awesome.

overall, that was just the highlights...all the songs are amazing and rocking.

If you thought George Lynch has kinda lost it in the last few years (album wise), this album will make you think twice before ever thinking that again.

The Lynch Mob Are Back and Taking No Prisoners!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smokin' album, February 24, 2010
This review is from: Smoke & Mirrors (Audio CD)
Having never heard anything of George Lynch since his departure from Dokken in the late 80's other than when he came back for the brief Dokken reunion in the 90's, I didn't know what to expect with this one. I was a big fan of Dokken in the 80's, but after their first three albums I don't think they ever reached the same level again. I always put it down to Don Dokkens deteriorating voice and an the impact of grunge music on metal, but obviously I missed the greater point - George Lynch. Don't be fooled into thinking Dokken comparisons though because this album is a different kettle of fish altogether. Rather than big catchy hooks, mesmerizing guitar solos and high range singing, "Smoke And Mirrors" is more an album of rocking tunes that are big on riffs, groove and bluesy swagger.

The album packs the best 1-2 punch of the year in my opinion with the great opening rocker "21st Century Man" followed by the ultra-cool bluesy title track "Smoke And Mirrors". These songs are both so good that I can't decide which one I like best. I'm not convinced that as far as album sequencing goes "Lucky Man" should come next. A slower paced rocker with weaker lyrics, I think it's probably one of the weakest songs on the album, yet it has grown on me with more listening. Luckily the following rocker "My Kind Of Healer" has more balls and is a welcome return to that bluesy swagger, but I can't help thinking it would have been a better choice for track 3 to give the album that triple punch opening that could have blown people away.

"Time Keepers" is more metal with intensity mixed with a great groove which results in a cool vibe. "Revolution Heroes" brings back the swagger again, and while it isn't as good as the bluesy songs previously mentioned, it's still a good song. "Let The Music Be Your Master" is another of my favotites. One of the longer songs on the album it also is a great mix of a more metal sound with a great groove which really jams for a while in the middle of the song. Then when you add the great rocker "The Phacist" (probably the one which sounds closest to old school Dokken), the very catchy and cool mid paced rocker "Where Do You Sleep At Night" and the great album closer "Before I Close My Eyes" you can't help but realize that you have a damn fine album on your hands, despite a couple of average songs in "Madly Backwards" and "We Will Remain" (of which the former is the better). "Mansions In The Sky" is a bonus track and whilst nothing special it isn't too bad.

A great collection of well written and performed songs here but it's the overall sound that really does it for me. The band sound like they really gel, and it sounds raw and a little bit loose while sounding clear and polished at the same time which few bands manage to achieve successfully. Packed full of groove, riffs, solos and bluesy swagger, it's right up my alley and a real smokin' album.

3.0 out of 5 stars A band in desperate need of a producer, August 15, 2011
This review is from: Smoke & Mirrors (Audio CD)
I am a huge George Lynch fan. I love his guitar playing. That said, this album, and I am reviewing this as an album, not a collection of individual tracks, is pretty darn weak. The effort really needed a producer with taste. The album is about 3 tracks too long and lacks a couple of ballads to break up the monotony. There are some great songs here. Smoke & Mirrors Let the Music be your Master, Madly Backwards, and Before I Close My Eyes are my favorites, but too many songs have the same tempo and tonal coloration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lynch Mob "Smoke & Mirrors", November 3, 2010
Masked Jackal (Ft. Lauderdale, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke & Mirrors (Audio CD)
I'm not sure how long it's been since Lynch Mob released something I really enjoyed. I loved "Wicked Sensation", and the follow-up wasn't all that bad either, but the years following those two early releases, things turned extremely sour for Lynch, and the Mob in my opinion. That stated, I was very uncertain of what to expect from "Smoke & Mirrors", it had been so long since I'd heard anything from the Mob, and the last chance I gave them "Smoke This", was an utter disappointment. However, I'm a G. Lynch freak, so I figured why not give this new one a shot as well?...

First off, "Smoke & Mirrors" isn't "Wicked Sensation", but that's really no big deal. "Wicked" was a true masterpiece, and those kinds of releases only come around every so often. It is however an excellent return to that same "Wicked" vibe, and it has a very similar classic heavy / hard rock Mob feel to it. I think it's much better than anything they've released since the early days of "Wicked", and there's no denying that "Smoke & Mirrors" will fit very nicely into any Dokken / Lynch Mob fan's collection. I was going to give this only 4 Stars, but there's really not a bad song here, and it's certainly got that classic Lynch Mob vibe which I love, so I have to give them 5. "Smoke & Mirrors" is a great return from the Mob...

~MJ~

5.0 out of 5 stars Great song writing! Best release yet!, February 15, 2011
This review is from: Smoke & Mirrors (Audio CD)
I love this album! Great song writing, very mature sound, good arrangement. George seems to let the entire band grab the spotlight on this one verses focusing on distinctive riffs and song intros. It's not to say he doesn't stand-out; it's just that the band seems more as "one" versus all the focus on George. The vocals are warm and smooth; not something Don Dokken can do these days. Personally, I prefer Lynch Mob over Dokken's music (without George) any day.

I had the pleasure of seeing them in a local bar in Houston last week (you can see the videos on youtube; search on "z06forme" and you'll find them). I was 5' away from George the entire show and it was awesome.

Update: Well it has been three weeks since I bought this from Amazon and I can NOT stop listening to it...it is really that good! I love everything about it...the song writing is exceptional! "Where do you sleep at night" and "Mansions in the sky" are my two favorites (but I love all the songs on this album)...great lyrics, great chord progressions, and the solos are killers. It's not Wicked Sensation...it's toned down a bit and in my opinion just more "mature".

If you like good rock -n- roll, this album is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars George and the Lynch Mob at their Best, May 25, 2010
This review is from: Smoke & Mirrors (Audio CD)
I am a long time Dokken/George Lynch fan. This CD Smoke and Mirrors is by far the best thing George Lynch has done since Dokken. My one and only Complaint with Mr. Lynch is he has his hands in too many projects. There is George Lynch (Solo), Lynch Mob, Souls of We, Lynch/Pilson, Well you get the idea. Now I understand he just released a solo CD of all Classical Music done with Metal Guitars. Now as far as Smoke and Mirrors Their is no weak spot, No lackluster Song. It is from front to End a really Classic CD. It opens with the amazing, 21st Centery man. Right away it grabs you and doesn't let go until the final song, Mansions in the sky, is over, and you realize just how great this CD is. Their is an amazing lineup. Oni Logan on lead Vocals. Marco Mendoza Rockin on Bass. Scot Coogan on the thundering Drums. Right on loan from Ace Frehley's Band. (I understand Tommy Aldridge toured on Drums.) Overall I can't stop listening to this Disc. Keep up the great work George. I just wish you would focus on one thing and one band line-up. Just an Idea. Think on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCELLENT PICK !!!!, May 18, 2011
IF YOUR LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SIMILAR TO " WICKED SENSATION " YOUR NOT GOING
TO GET IT. HOWEVER IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOME GOOD ROCK N ROLL THAT MAKES FOR
EAR CANDY THEN YOU GOT IT. THIS ALBUM IS GREAT. THESE GUYS PUT A LOT OF
CREATETIVITY AND TALENT INTO THIS ONE. YOU CANT GO WRONG WETHER YOU ARE A
LYNCH MOB FAN OR JUST A FAN OF GREAT MUSIC.

4.0 out of 5 stars finally something decent, April 22, 2010
Bernard Lewis (lockport new york) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke & Mirrors (Audio CD)
im not sure if he [george] even cares anymore about music anymore , it just sounds like he slaps on anything , this cd was by far his best in like forever , nothing like souls of we [which by the way sucks major ass and smells even worse , but at least he came out with this , keep oni on vocals hes bout the only one that can save u george

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 out of 5, December 4, 2009
This review is from: Smoke & Mirrors (Audio CD)
Lynch Mob's newest isn't great and it isn't terrible.
It's middle of the road all the way around. I like George but it seems his better days are behind him.
Songs, performances, are all lack luster. They don't suck but sound very uninspired.
Also seems like he's forgotten that it's 2009. It's a solid effort but not what I'd hoped for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad to see the nice reviews, February 21, 2010
This review is from: Smoke & Mirrors (Audio CD)
A few weeks back I read some reviews that compelled me to put my own in.
One said this was 'uninspired' and another said it was 'nothing new.'
My own opinion is that is CD is removed from Dokken. Dokken fans probably
won't like it much. But the lyrics are very good. They are very relevant
and on the money. This is an older and wiser Lynch Mob. This Lynch Mob
has gone into the 'Thinking Man's Metal.' I'm glad to see them go that way.
They hit some excellent grooves and the guitar playing is second to none for
a Rock record. Those who accuse George of trying to re-invent himself. No.
The only thing I can say is that his playing has gotten much more intense and
perhaps a little too much so for the pansies out there. Souls of We, same thing
a wiser album with a lot of intensity. The singer knows how to take a few pokes
at himself too and not just the court jesters. Keep up the excellent work
George. Let The Truth Be Known!

Smoke & Mirrors
Smoke & Mirrors by Lynch Mob (Audio CD - 2009)