Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on March 6, 2014
Enjoyed this book. Good recipes for smoking, sauces and rubs. Mr. Mixon is very proud of his accomplishments, a little over the top. Good use a little more info and a little less self-promotion, but overall pretty good.
on July 28, 2015
boy cannot use numbers. Porportions off on every receipe Ok he tells you whats in it but you have to guess on every rub, sauce and glaze. Good fork pork and chicken but he aint a brisket cooker. Hope you like vinegar!
on December 13, 2015
Myron is a great cook, but his arrogance and fluff don't do the grilling and smoking process justice.

As Scott Fay mentions in his work, find your sweet spot and be the best, but remain with what you do best.
on August 5, 2012
If your a beginner this is the book to read.Myron tells you every thing about the art of smoking,and make it easy and interseting.The recipes are simple and great,you'll get suscess every time I have. Thanks Myron!
on November 17, 2012
I just purchased a Camp Chef Propane Smoker this summer and really enjoy using it and the flavors of the food. I've been a pretty avid BBQer but wanted to try smoking. My first attempt was with tri-tip and it came out great so I've made that a few times by request. Also tried ribs but those didn't turn out as I expected...good flavor, too tough. So, I'm a beginner.

Anyway, just wanted to give that background to describe my experience. I was looking for a cookbook on smoking to get some other ideas and expand my options and learn more about the process. After reviewing several books here on Amazon, I decided to give Myron Mixon's book a shot.

This book was exactly what I needed. Myron gives some great tips on preparation and some commentary about cooking competitions but what I really liked were all the recipes. The recipes are easy to follow (so simple) and provide temperature requirements and approximate cooking times. There are also quite a few recipes for rubs and sauces. The one thing that could improve this book from 4 to 5, in my opinion, would be more pictures. It has a lot of pictures but not for each of the recipes. I like recipe books that have a picture for each item.

I've only tried the turkey recipe (preview for Thanksgiving) and it came out great. It was simple. Looking forward to trying the "Bacon-Wrapped Coca-Cola Chicken Breasts", several rib recipes, and others.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2011
After 40 years of marriage, my husband has started grilling. My children, grandchildren and I are reaping the benefits. We've enjoyed the best ribs we've ever eaten and some excellent sauces!
on August 8, 2015
I purchased this for my husband's Father's Day present. He was disappointed that it was more of a brag book than a cookbook. A nice read, though, if that's what you're looking for.
on August 11, 2015
I have several books about smoking and if I could only have one this is it. Love the sauces and rubs in this book and also all the good in information on how to....
on November 21, 2015
I was put off immediately by the self promotion of the author so will use other sources for my meat smoking education. Maybe I'll come back to it if I get stuck.
on March 13, 2015
Some good advice and recipes, but I would rather use other recipes than feed into an egotistical jacka**. Myron Mixon is so full of himself its disgusting.