5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for real BBQ

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Fundamentals Book
Published on June 22, 2012 by ILoveBBQ

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for real BBQ, May 30, 2012
A. Feigin (Silicon Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoking Meat: The Essential Guide to Real Barbecue (Paperback)
I have looked at and purchased several books on this topic, and this one is the best. It is concise, gives you a bunch of recipes and guidelines along with a wealth of information and tips on "smokeology". I have followed the recipes several times and have not been disappointed yet. I think this book is a must-have for anyone who is smoking meat in whatever kind of smoker you have. You must also check his website as it is a great daily reference for smokers, smoking meats, and tools that you can use to help the finished product!
Check out his website here: [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Fundamentals Book, June 22, 2012
I bought this book because I like Jeff's email recipes. He goes into great detail on exactly the proper technique and the ones I've tried were very good. That being said I was a bit disapointed with the book. Almost half the book is dedicated to the smoker itself; while this is good I was really looking for more technique and more recipes. In particular there is a special rub and sauce that he sells the recipe for on the web site but I cannot find it in the book, maybe its there but it's not identified as such.

I've been smoking meat for quite some time, I'm on my 4th smoker, so I really was hoping for something more advanced. For the newcomer this book is great though. And for the price it is not a bad deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoking Meat: The Essential Guide to Real BBQ, August 21, 2013
I bought this book a couple of weeks ago and it is without a doubt the best book on this topic I've ever seen. I've done a brisket, a turkey breast and several salmons and they all came out great. I think this book is worth every penny I paid. If you want to know more than just receipes then this book is for you. I learned a lot about wood, rubs, and the correct temps.

4.0 out of 5 stars not a bad starting place for a newbie like me, December 28, 2012
Natalie Fayman "Vampyrvet" (Boynton Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Not really an extensive collection of recipes, but a solid selection of a few really good staple dishes and lots of good advice on techniques and tricks to make your finished product really memorable. The dry rub and brine recipes alone are worth the price of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smoking Meat: The Essential Guide to Real Barbecue is Awesome, June 19, 2012
I have been following the "Smoking Meat" website for some time, it is a fantastic site that is full of very useful information and excellent recipes. This book buts it all together so you don't need to be stuck to a computer to see recipes or how to's. I have been smoking foods for over 20 years and still come across great ideas and unique flavors. Well done Jeff! Also if you have questions, the author Jeff Phillips, has a forum on his website "Smoking Meat" which perfectly rounds out this book.
Thank you soo much for sharing Jeff!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great book!, September 15, 2012
I held off on buying this book thinking that it would be full of the same receipes that I get from Smoking-Meat.com. I have to say I was wrong. This book is full of awesome receipes I want to try. Jeff has done a great job with this book. Easy to follow and read. I highly suggest this book to anyone that is into smoking food.
Thanks for the great book Jeff!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoking Meat Guide, November 9, 2012
I first chose another book for smoking meat and was very disappointed, I returned that book. Then, I ordered Smoking meat.
It is more than I expected, the recipes are fantastic, It gives great guides on everything and why you need to follow for different types of meat. This book and his online suggestions are fantastic. This is the only book I need for smoking meat to be flavorful, tender, and moist. The raves I get are enormous. So don't hesitate Order this book if you are a meat smoker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mastering the Art of Low and Slow Meat Smoking, May 18, 2012
Author Jeff Phillips has a growing list of 140,000 plus subscribers to his Smoking-Meat.com newsletter as he spreads the gospel of how to use a "low and slow" cooking technique to produce the world's most flavorful and tender meat and fish. If you've never considered smoking your meat, or if you are a novice smoker and want to perfect your technique, Smoking Meat is designed for you written in an easy to understand conversational style. How to choose the best meats for smoking, using the proper equipment and a good variety of recipes, which surprisingly include a few desserts that are smoker prepared, along with cheeses. Plenty of colorful illustrations make this guidebook a comprehensive reference book for anyone who loves barbecued meats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoking made easy, August 10, 2012
Have bought alot of bar b q cook books but I would have to rate this as the best, I've followed Jeffs recipe's and instructions on cooking times and temps from ribs, beer can chicken, and brisket with great results. He also gives you recipes for rubs and brines along with cooking potatoes,vegetables and deserts which I have tried and found delicious. Next I'm gonna try his smoked salmon. His ingredients used for his recipes are easily found in stores. He also talks about the diferent wood chips to use for your meats and easy to follow pages for cook times and temperatures for smoking. Like the book say ,its the essential guide to real barbecue.

3.0 out of 5 stars guide will not last too long!, August 14, 2014
fgsamm "frankinfl" (seminole, florida United States) - See all my reviews
The recipes are great and have tried quite a few. The big problem is that the leafs are falling out of the book and believe me I take very good care of all my recipe books.
Very disappointed with the publishing. Maybe Jeff will rectify this problem.

Smoking Meat: The Essential Guide to Real Barbecue
Smoking Meat: The Essential Guide to Real Barbecue by Jeff Phillips (Paperback - May 15, 2012)
$29.95 $16.92