Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on December 15, 2012
I found this product by acccident, and I'm glad I did! I am african american and have coarse hair. Relaxers however damage my hair badly, but I needed something to "tame" my hair because I am a professional that works with the public and I like to look my best. After using this product one time, I was sold...and it is true, the more you use it, the better your hair behaves, just make sure you have a good moisturizer, I use Cantu Shea Butter Daily moisturizer in the bottle.
on August 22, 2012
I tried this product only on my roots. Normally, my thick 4B hair is hard to tame, but after too much heat damage, the rest of my hair is very fragile. I wanted to loosen up my roots without damaging my ends.

This Brazilian Kertain Treatment doesn't seem complete. It recommends a Clarifying Shampoo (not included), an applicator brush (not included) and a mixing bowl (not included, but not necessary, since it's a no-mix cream). The package included some type of wash-out conditioner, but there were no instructions on when to use it in the process.

BKT's are labor and heat intensive, so if you want your hair straight, know it's not a quick shampooing process. This is the same in the shop.

This Smooth N Shine hair "tamer" smells very bad, but it did bring out a nice curl pattern in my roots. The "neutralizing milk" was fine enough. It wasn't as creamy as I had hoped, but it neutralized. If I use this again, I'll put a good conditioner on my ends while "taming" my roots.

After rinsing out the neutralizer, I put in my own leave-in conditioner and coconut oil, then blow-dried. I made sure not to use anything that needed rinsing, since you're not supposed to wash for 3 days. I'm going to use that random wash-out conditioner packet after those 3 days are up.

That said, my hair feels pretty dry right now, but I don't know if its from all that heat or from the BKT itself. I wish the Smooth n Shine included something to help moisturize and shine better. But all keratin is known to dry out your hair so you have to add your own conditioning products after it sets, or use a nice pressing cream when you flat iron. If I use this again, I'll use a stronger BKT-safe moisturizer/conditioner after neutralizing.
on March 27, 2013
I have mixed hair thats baby fine. It doesn't really need to be permed but I did want something to help with the frizz.

Pros: Did make my hair straighter
Only one that I have found that worked for me (as far as these kits go)
Made my hair easier to style
If your hairs above your shoulders, you can probably get two uses out of the kit like I have

Cons: Didn't allow for curly styles, just straight
Did make my hair a lot dyer on my dyed hair

So depending on what your looking for, this may work for you depending on what you want it to do.
on December 22, 2014
The low rating is due to the smell, It smells like a strong relaxer and eggs, I guess that is where the protein comes from. This is not 'natural' treatment, but a relaxer alternative. This product loosened my fro, just like when I texturize it. I guess it is semi permanent because you can wash this away with in a few weeks if you use a clarifying shampoo, but this is "conk" or "jerry curl juice"..
Do not use this if you are natural and do not want to change your texture. I used Super but for half the amount of time and still got a pretty good result.
on August 8, 2015
I love this product. I have damaged hair from years of relaxing and I wanted something that would tame my hair without causing as much damage. This works great. I used to have a ton of products and now I only need 5; this, shampoo, conditioner, cantu Shea butter leave in and arvazallia Argan oil deep conditioner
on April 29, 2013
So if the young folk's don't know what conk is think of Denzel Washington in Malcolm X. Whew this crap smells terrible, my Mother called it conk and I called it jheri curl mix from the 80's. It is a relaxer disguised as a texturizer. My hair is curly/wavy but bushy and I wanted to tame the bush not relax all of the curl out of my hair. Not pleased after going au naturel for a year and cutting off all my hair.
on November 22, 2013
Works great and super easy to use. Best thing around for women looking for that wow factor for their hair.
on August 24, 2013
I used this product recently with great results. It immediately loosened my curl pattern. Keep in my in this product is NOT meant to create a relaxed look on its own. I did go the extra step of blow-drying and flat ironing my hair (which is optional if you want a relaxed look). You can achieve and elongated wash and go look by omitting that step. If I could tuck in a before and after photo I would. The results were beautiful. My hair is natural, bra strap-length hair. I would recommend it. I didn't have any heat damage or permanent straightening which I was concerned about. This is my first flat-iron since going natural nearly 4 years ago. When I saturated my hair in the shower the loose curl pattern returned and I could style it that way. It's been about a month now and the results are lasting. I got compliments from everyone that saw my hair and questions about what I used to elongate my curls. I'm very happy with my results.
0Comment2 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2015
great results!
on October 9, 2013
It kind of loosened my curls but it also straightened some spots in my hair... Spots that had not been relaxed previously but bleached.

It has a similar harsh chemical smell to a relaxer.

As soon as I was washing it out I could tell my hair was damaged. Hair has been breaking off and just slipping out more frequently than ever by only the second wash.

After using the product my hair felt dry and dull. After washing it, it's does have more movement and softness.

I use coconut oil everyday because I know my hair is in rough shape now even if it seems a bit "more manageable."

It technically did some of what it claimed to do but I would never suggest anyone else use it.
0Comment1 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse