4.0 out of 5 stars Oh those Canadians!
"Raisins come from grapes
People come from apes
I come from Canada"

(lyrics from "Raisins")

Published on May 17, 2008 by Amanda Richards

2.0 out of 5 stars Kind of slow and melancholy... not a favorite
I am a big fan of the BNL but not so much of this album.
I was expecting a more upbeat, joyful children's album since but this is overall slow and melancholy.
It is more appropriate for older kids.
Not a favorite in our home for me or my daughter.
I am surprised the reviews are all so favorable!
Published 17 months ago by cat

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh those Canadians!, May 17, 2008
"Raisins come from grapes
People come from apes
I come from Canada"

(lyrics from "Raisins")

This Canadian alt-rock band scores big with my family with this album of 24 original and hilarious songs for kids. For a taste of the album make sure you watch the video on the Amazon product page for the first track "7,8,9", based on the old pun about a very hungry number seven.

Whether they're singing about ninjas or pollywogs, allergies or the alphabet, BNL never fail to bring a smile to your face with the clever lyrics and catchy tunes.

The ones we really like are "The Ninjas"; "Pollywog in a Bog"; "Raisins"; "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy ii - Popcorn"; "Allergies"; and "I Don't Like". The one that made me smile is "Crazy ABC's", and I'll list a few letters so you can see why.

A is for Aisle

H is for Hour
J is for Jalapeno
M is for Mnemonic
T is for Tsunami

The one small problem is that there are a few too many slower tracks that are pretty good as folk ballads, but not so good at holding the attention of younger kids. Some of these are "Louis Loon", "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy i - Snacktime"; "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy iii - Vegetables"; "My Big Sister" and "Bad Day". The melodies are nice, but will be more to the liking of slightly older folk. (Think Gordon Lightfoot)

One fun bit of trivia is that at the end of "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy i - Snacktime" various people tell you their favorite snacks, and these people include Gordon Lightfoot, Geddy Lee, Lyle Lovett, Sarah MacLachlan, Jason Priestley, Janeane Garofalo and Weird Al Yankovic.

Light-hearted, punny, clever and very, very entertaining - this is an album the whole family can enjoy and sing along to between giggles.

Amanda Richards, May 17, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fun and silly., May 6, 2008
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
As you might know, for Barenaked Ladies, this is certainly a compliment. I am pleased as pie with this new kids record. I have been (not so) patiently waiting this release for over a year now. You won't be disappointed.

I do wish it had a video companion, a la TMBG's ABC and 123s. But we can't win them all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite snack: peanut butter pretzels, June 9, 2008
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
This is the first time I've been inspired to write a review on Amazon. I get to listen to a lot of kids music with my 4 year old and this is by far my favorite. To my amazement its also hers (okay I know she'll change her mind in a few weeks). No offense to The Wiggles but if I hear Big Red Car again I'm going to lose it. I can't imagine ever saying that about any of the songs on this album. Some of the slower ones aren't quite as fun but all the others more than make up for them. Also some of the slower ones are awesome. This album has allowed me to introduce my daughter to the rest of the BNL catalog and I'm hoping this will lead to other "adult" bands. All this fun music and I also finally get to find out the favorite snack of the lead singer of my other favorite Canadian band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sing-along Fun for the Whole Family, August 4, 2009
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
When my kids request "Snack Time!", I never cringe and never pretend I left it in the other car.

When you've had enough of Raffi or Disney productions, or if you refuse even to go there, "Snack Time!" is for you. From the first PLAY until you find yourself clicking <<, this collection delights.
Take "7-8-9". The familiar old "Why was six afraid of seven?" gag gets new life: "Vampires have to think of some other method, Cuz without their ca-NINES, how would they suck?"

Another family favorite is "Polliwog in a Bog" -- "It's hard to believe/With the arms you'll receive/You'll life your head above the water and breathe!"

"Raisins" is kooky fun, "When I make mistakes/I use a lot of salt/Cause salt makes m'steaks taste great."

We also get to sympathize with the little brother who gets unwanted hand-me-downs, "It may be black/It may fit perfect/But you and I both know --/It's a girl's coat."

Our 3.5 year old can sing almost every word to every song -- even the words she doesn't understand. All three of my kids laugh, sing, and dance in their booster seats from start to finish.

MOST HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all ages, August 26, 2009
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
Finally a kids CD that adults will love as well!! The lyrics are hysterical and I love listening to my 3 year old in the back of the van singing to "Popcorn" and telling me what snacks he likes to eat. A must have for all parents!! I'm buying several copie to give as birthday presents to all my kids friends...

5.0 out of 5 stars first cd that made my 8 month old smile, May 27, 2009
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
so we bought a bunch of cds for our baby, since we think he likes music. he loves the baby einstein lullabies; when they are on, he sleeps. of all the "awake time" music that we have played for him, this is the cd that made him smile as soon as it played. it was amazing. he would listen to others and play quietly with the music in the background but with "snack time" it was smile and sort of dance time. what a delightful and funny cd. parents won't be bored listening either. very entertaining for all. it wears well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silly fun for kids and adults, April 11, 2009
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
I am a huge BNL fan so when I found out they were releasing a children's CD, I was all over it. I was excited at the thought that I could buy something that both my daughter and I would enjoy as it is sometimes difficult to find children's music that is pleasing to both adult and child ears.

Snack Time is exactly what fans of BNL would expect. The lyrics are fanciful and the CD is a fun journey through many different types of music. The topics of the songs range from everything from the power of an eraser when drawing to using one's imagination to a town made out of vegetables. The subjects all appeal to my daughter and she has great fun singing along and having silly discussions with me (such as, "Do you want to ride the zucchini subway?") based on the songs.

Here are some of our favorites:

789: My daughter loves this one and my husband and I find it humorous too. It's a take on the classic joke about the number seven eating the number nine. The Ladies explore the ramifications of this, covering everything from the number of planets to what vampires will have to do in the wake of this tragedy. There is also a very funny animated video that has been enjoyed by the whole family.

The Ninjas: Another of my daughter's favorites, but I think it's pretty hilarious too. My favorite line: "The ninjas are deadly and silent. They're also unspeakably violent."

Pollywog in a Bog: This is my absolute favorite song on the CD. Only BNL could write a charming, sweet song about the life cycle of a frog.

Vegetable Town (part of the Canadian Snacktime Trilogy): This is the song that tells us about the zucchini subway. It's a clever way to try to get kids to eat their veggies, although I can't vouch for the effectiveness. Still, it's a fun and imaginative song.

All in all, we've derived many hours of enjoyment from this CD. We've owned it for over a year now and it never ceases to charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love to sing along, October 8, 2008
R. Gill (Palo Alto, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
First a disclaimer - I'm a Barenaked Ladies fan.

I bought this CD for my nephew who just turned 3 (he has a brother age 7). The review I got from mum was "oh my god, they love it!" They love to sing along (as does mum) and as of this week (1.5 weeks after arriving) they won't let her get past the first 2 songs (7,8,9 & Ninja song.) They keep wanting to play these 2 over and over again -- so be warned mums and dads - it might get repetitive initially. Being a Pierre Burton fan I bought this CD for the Pollywog song. My nephews are Canadian.

Can't wait to hear what they have to say when they get to the rest of the album! Rock on Barenaked Ladies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the whole family and all ages!, June 5, 2008
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
You know in the 90's I was never into the Barenaked Ladies, I took no notice of them when they were over-played on the radio and thought they had a stupid name for a band. Now however with two toddlers around, I decided to get this album when I heard it reveiwed on the Manic Mommies podcast. Now I'm hooked.
It's super silly music that makes the kids dance and is all around entertaining. You can play it over and over in the car or at home and not go crazy(Wiggles anyone?). I also find myself singing along and tapping my toes when the kids are not even around.

5.0 out of 5 stars More please!, May 22, 2008
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
"I'm going to listen to 789 one hundred million gazillion manillion betillion times!" That is a direct quote from my four-year-old, BNL-loving son, and I couldn't agree more.

This is a great album for parents and children alike. It's a good thing, too, because we're going to be listening to it a LOT! Thank you, Ladies!

Snacktime
Snacktime by Barenaked Ladies (Audio CD - 2011)
Rate and Discover Movies