5.0 out of 5 stars Semi-Temporary Relief in a Semi-Permanent Universe, November 5, 2012
This review is from: Snail Mail My Email: Handwritten Letters in a Digital World (Hardcover)
Just two months ago, Munch's "The Scream" sold for $120. I was not one of those who used the Snail Mail My E-mail opportunity to send, for free, a one-of-a-kind verbal and visual expression to anyone, although I did receive one (not included in this collection). Munch's work expresses an "eternal" anxiety. This book can serve as an antidote to that stance. Just turn a page and realize you are the sender creating the text, and the artist transforming the words into an image, and the recipient seeing the letter for the first time. (A lot better than re-runs of The Best of Snickering Pundits Bickering for Dollars, brought to you by . . .whomever. Eh?) I didn't experience the book straight through. The pages aren't even numbered. For me, the collection is a meditation on the ephemeral, an homage to this now, and (turn page) this now, and (turn page) this one.

There are illustrated letters to new borns, not-yet borns, a deceased puppy, and lovers: brother-sister, sister-sister, parent-child, all sorts of connectednesses-all sorts of connectednesses, and vice versa for all of the above. There are letters from or to teddy bears, the tooth fairy. Letters to and from China, Nebraska, Malaysia, Wisconsin, United Arab Emirates, someplaces near you and others not.

You can easily sense my enthusiasm. See for yourself. Check out the LOOK INSIDE! option and then, after you decide to order the book or not, take the time to create and mail a snail mail to . . . . . . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars a peek into the lives of others, November 6, 2012
I'm a pretty nosy person in that I am really interested in the lives of others -- so a chance to read letters that others have written(something that would normally be private) is a huge treat for me. As I flip through snail mail my e-mail, I find myself wondering more about the senders and recipients of each letter, what some messages might mean, what the recipient's face looked like when they received the letter, wanting to hear more about their stories. These letters are presented in such a fun and beautiful way, as they have been carefully visually embellished by each letter artist (and I find the letter artist's artistic interpretation to be a peek into their own private world as well). I'm so glad to have added this book to my collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Christmas gift for pen pal or other creative pal., November 5, 2012
B. Schmidt (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
Okay, I must admit up front that I was involved in this project as one of the "letter artists." So, yes, I have a bias. However, this was such a cool project (fun, inspiring, artsy-craftsy, and just plain joyous) that I couldn't have given it 5 stars if the book didn't do a darn good job of capturing (in beautiful color and well-bound hardback at a great price) the essence of the Snail Mail My Email letter-writing campaign. No heavy reading here. Review it cover to cover or just flip through from time to time for a glimpse into human sentiments that are both delightfully unique and heart-warmingly universal. Cool Christmas gift for pen pal or other creative pal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful collection of beautiful letters from this project, November 6, 2012
I must admit that I am biased, having taken part in writing letters for this project, but the ones that have been included in this summary of the project are absolutely breathtaking. It brings a tear to your eye to see some of the heartfelt messages that were written to people all across the planet, and there are funny letters that you would never expect, as well!

All in all, I'm glad that this project happened, and whether if you want your heartstrings tugged a little, or you want to feel a little nostalgic about a time when writing physical letters was commonplace, then this letter book is the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Art, Great Message, Great Project, Great Book, December 31, 2012
The illustration in the first few pages says it all: a man depicted in frames, one from the late 90s and one from today. In the former, the man delights at the sight of a new email while lamenting the piles of paper bills and junk offers that arrive in his regular mailbox. Today, the script is flipped.

In its own way, Snail Mail my Email traces the evolution of human communication by highlighting the simplest of pleasures in our modern age: receiving a handwritten letter from a friend. Except in this case, the "friend" was one of the project's 200+ volunteers and the letter a transcribed email that may have ordinarily gotten lost in the cacophony of spam and online offers that typically penetrate our collective gmail accounts.

The project and book are brilliant in their ability to simultaneously promote an alternative to electronic communication in the age of the iPhone, while also demonstrating the possibilities for human "off-line" collaboration that our connected society still offers. At the most basic level, a project as inspiring as SMME wouldn't have been possible without the email component. Taking it a step further, the 200+ volunteers that helped make SMME a reality may not have been as easily recruited without the author's ability to go online and encourage people to do something a bit different. No one knows for sure whether Ivan Cash, the project's creator and the book's author, intended for this instructive irony to be a part of the final product. But given his vision in conceiving of the whole plan in the first place, I'd wager that he did.

Demonstrating the possibilities of our internet-driven world together with an antidote to its occasional excesses, Snail Mail My Email falls into many categories. Underlying the beautifully illustrated emails on each page is the fact that the book serves as a chronicle of the impressively-coordinated mass mobilization effort on the part of Mr. Cash; these same illustrations add an artsy component to its documentary nature. Finally, the subtle message about taking a break every once in a while lends an air of social commentary, combined with the even subtler reality that our always-on society makes something like SMME within reach for anyone who is willing to stick their neck out.

Thankfully for all of us, Mr. Cash did just that, and the whole world has been enriched with this fabulous book as a result.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping the joy of writing letters alive, November 28, 2012
A simple but brilliant, creative idea. This is a quirky book that gives you a small insight into the minds and lives of random strangers from all over the world. Each letter has it's own individual twist as each letter artist interpreted how the letter should be designed based on the words. It's almost like a book of short stories without you knowing the characters or the background and makes you think about the people who sent, wrote and received each letter and their reactions. Each letter leaves you with a different feeling from amusement to empathy. It's inspired me to consider writing more letters as I think back to the warm feeling of receiving a hand written letter and wanting to re-live and share that feeling again.
If you want some nostalgia or something to put a smile on your face, this book is for you. A perfect book to pick up at anytime to flick through. You'll always discover something you hadn't noticed before, everytime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming Fun Read, Great Conversation Piece, November 7, 2012
This gorgeous book has been an instant hit in my house. Everyone wants to pour over every page, examining every letter and each doodle. I know I'll be ordering a few as holiday gifts for friends who tried to sneak away with my copy! The project was fantastic to watch grow on the website and the only feedback I have is that next time they capture every letter written and put out a several thousand page version! Fantastic!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Go NOW to snailmailmyemail.org and get a handwritten letter sent for FREE! (then buy the book!!), November 12, 2014
Right now, for one week only (Nov. 10-16, 2014), if you go to snailmailmyemail.org, they are letting you "type a message to anyone— family, friend, secret crush, or congressional representative" and send it to them. They will then "handwrite your message and post it via regular mail to the recipient of your choosing, for free!"

Very cool indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars You've Got Mail, December 23, 2013
I read about this online, and was curious about what sorts of e-mails people would submit, and what sorts of letters people would send. I fond this project both intimate and universal-- putting thoughts and feelings to paper and sending them out the old-fashioned way. I loved the care and creativity that went into the illustrations. I was inspired to be a letter writing volunteer this year:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Project, Great Book!, December 4, 2013
A beautifully illustrated book that brings this simple but touching concept to light. It lets you feel as if you're actually holding the letters. A truly fascinating look into how humans can artfully communicate.

Snail Mail My Email: Handwritten Letters in a Digital World
Snail Mail My Email: Handwritten Letters in a Digital World by Ivan Cash (Hardcover - November 1, 2012)
$22.99 $15.93