4.0 out of 5 stars That's What I'm Talkin' About
Look, if I wanted to watch one of the greatest movies of all time... "Citizen Kane" or "The Godfather" or "Jean de Florette" or "Airplane!", I would have stayed home with my DVDs. No. If I wanted subtle man-versus-vermin psychological horror, with organ music, I would have stayed home and listened to William Conrad as "Leiningen vs. The Ants".

No. No, no,...
Published on August 18, 2006 by Jason A. Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good as is, but it could be so much more
I'm not ashamed to admit that from the moment I saw the title on the internet, I was hooked. I absoloutly had to see the movie. Well tonight, I finally did, complete with a t-shirt that had the movie logo (the two rattlesnakes intertwining the plane). I sat down, and watched the movie with the greatest title since attack of the killer tomatoes.

And did I...
Published on August 18, 2006 by Ian

4.0 out of 5 stars That's What I'm Talkin' About, August 18, 2006
Jason A. Miller (Brooklyn, New York USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

No. No, no, no! I wanted to go out on a Friday night and I wanted to see snakes on a plane. Mo'fo' snakes on a mo'fo' plane. And that is exactly what I got.

The problems with this movie are very few. Number one, the main character in this movie is a surfer dude but the movie was shot in British Columbia. That's not a problem. Good second unit photography will have you convinced that you're on Waikiki Beach, and you didn't come to this movie to see surfer dudes, anyway. You wanted to see a CGI plane battling turbulence, and really vicious CGI snakes.

Number two, it takes about 20 to 30 minutes for the snakes to get out into the cabin and start rearing and biting. That's not a problem either. Make a list of every delicate body part you'd expect a snake to bite, and once the snakes get out, game on. You're waiting for the big python to show up? Well, that's at least an hour wait, but once he's out, game on.

Number three, it takes Samuel L. Jackson so long to drop That Line that you almost wonder if he's not ever going to say it. Again, not a problem.

Look, this movie was probably first-drafted in screenwriting class. The writers care way too much about their reluctant FBI witness to a mob hit scenario, when the audience just wants snakes. Snakes on a plane. And then when we finally hit the airport, you can do a head count of the passengers and figure out who's going to die, how, and when. There's the stuffy British business traveler (I had him pegged as the first to die), the hot-to-trot sexy young couple -- the girl's in pink thong panties, the aging flight attendant on her last flight, and the ambiguously gay male steward. Finally, the overweight comedy co-pilot with the Texas accent. The script writes itself.

But it's got snakes. Snakes on a plane. If you took the time to come to this page and rate the movie one or two stars, you clearly didn't realize what movie you were buying tickets to go see and you shouldn't have been there in the first place. If you want to see your awesomely bad snakes on a plane picture, this is literally the only movie to go see.

Sequels: Snakes on a Train. Snakes in Portland, Maine. Snakes in the Drain. Snakes in the Fast Lane. Snakes in the Cold November Rain. Snakes in a Music Video with House of Pain. Snakes in the Batter's Box with Ferris Fain. And finally... Snakes on a Train II. Bring it on!

4.0 out of 5 stars SNAKES ON A PLANE, August 19, 2006
When this movie began production it went by the working title "Snakes on a Plane" with (im sure) every intention on changing that name to something a little less obvious. When the name leaked to the critics and film geeks alike the film took off in a way that is comparable to Star Wars Episode 1. Except with SOAP you don't have a big name director, a blockbuster history or, an endless budget. Just the title, and Samuel L. Jackson. Web sites have been dedicated to the film, influencing and even changing some content of the film. There was no pre-screening for the film to leak any information about it, because lets face it, it's Snakes on a Plane, you know what your going to get. The creaters are nothing if not straightforward.

SOAP itself is about a ruthless criminal lord named Eddie Kim who is due to appear in court on murder charges that could put him away for life. Sean Jones is the witness for the prosecution that experienced Kims' violent ways first hand when he murdered "Mr Prosecuter" as Kim so put it, in Hawaii. Now Sean is set to testify in LA under the protection of one Mr. Nelville Flynn (Jackson) escorting him the entire way.

The movie focuses on the passengers entering the plane giving you the opportunity to size up the victims, pick favorites, and decide who you think best deserves a malicious venom strike to their genitals, which I assure you does happen, a few times. As the movie gets rolling even further you get more cought up so that every peice of narrative becomes this gutbusting punch line to a joke that I don't think any of us fully understand. The point is that its Snakes on a Plane, its already a success, box office numbers or not. This is what Attack of the Killer Tomatos wished it could be. It's a movie that will live and die by its title. It embraces it like a war flag on its way to pilage Hollywood. Like it or not, you know what your in for. Good Snakes, Good Hero, Good Entertainment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do as I say and you'll live, February 2, 2008
Snakes On A Plane DVD

Warning not for young children ( if you ever want them to fly ) some frontal nudity and violence galore.

This film does for commercial flying what JAWS did for swimming in the ocean.

I especially laughed at the guy draining his hose who had a snake latch onto his tallywacker. Ouch!

Recommended for teenagers and up. Not recommended for small children.

Gunner February, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to the hype and then some, August 18, 2006
Monkdude (Hampton, Virginia) - See all my reviews
I went into my packed theater this morning expecting to be mildly entertained. Believe it or not, this is the most vocal audience I have ever seen a movie with. I can't imagine the early showings last night, they must have been insane. Nobody left the theater to use the bathroom, and people were cheering and jumping out of their seats throughout. The film starts off really cheesy, but once they get on that plane, you won't be able to resist the venom this films packs. Samuel L. Jackson rocked the house with his great acting and line delivery (you know the one), and even the CGI snakes looked really good. I figured the most I would give this film would be 3 stars, but the movie won me over. If you just want to have mindless fun with loads of snakes, a bada** black dude, and some gross out gore with a little boobie action thrown in for good measure, look no further than the aptly titled Snakes on a Motherf**kin Plane!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have never had my date flee a movie theater until I went to go see "Snakes on a Plane", August 18, 2006
My wife made it as far as the point in the film where the python shows up, and then she fled the theater. Prior to that point she had jumped and screamed eight times, hit me four times, and dug her fingernails into my arm three times. She also took several opportunities to tell me that I owed her because I was making her watch this movie, but that was before she got up and left me there alone. To be fair, she did return for the end of the movie, by which time she had apparently reconsidered our situation during that interim period and had upgraded by status so that she now informed me that she owned me and that she would determine how and when I would be made to pay for this.

When I suggested going to a movie today because Friday is (usually) the day that new films show up in town and she asked me what we could go see I had said, "Snakes on a Plane." I had expected her to say "No." Actually I was hoping that she would say, "There is no way that I am going to see that m****r-f********g film about those m****r-f********g snakes on that m****r-f********g plane," but that is simply not her style. So I did not really think she would want to see this film and would maintain that she went of her own free will. However, when I suggested that we would have to own this film when it came out on DVD she told me that would be the day I would be moving out of the house. Consequently, I have to suggest that "Snakes on a Plane" might not be the best date movie currently available at your local cinema.

The premise of "SoaP" (great acronym) is elegantly simple. Sean Jones (Nathan Phillips) witnesses the murder of an L.A. district attorney who is vacationing in Hawai'i. Being flown to Los Angeles to testify against the killer, Jones is in the care of FBI Agent Nelville Flynn (Samuel L. Jackson). However, the killer has arranged for what appears to be at least one of every venomous snake on the face of the planet to be let loose during the flight, thereby realizing the title of the film. Also include in the cast are: Julianna Margulies as Claire Miller, the flight attendant who is on her final flight; Flex Alexander as Three Gi's, the rap star aboard the plane; Kenan Thompson as Troy, one of the rapper's two hefty bodyguards; and Rachel Blanchard as Mercedes, who appears to be a Paris Hilton wannabe. Basically everybody on the film is a designed character (e.g., the irate First Class passenger, the newlyweds, the kick boxer, etc.), and when we meet them we are not really trying to learn anything about them, but just calculate their chances of being alive by the end credits (which you should stick around and watch for the music video). Fortunately there are almost as many heroes as there are victims on this particular doomed flight.

Basically, this 2006 film delivers exactly what the title promises. Despite the famous line paraphrased and censored above, Jackson's character does not curse much in this film, which is a shame because nobody curses like Samuel L. Jackson (and that includes the character of Al Swearagen on "Deadwood," and that fellow is no slouch when it comes to the art of the profane tirade). What is important is that they come up with a way for the snakes to start attacking everybody on the plane at once, although we have to build up to that with an initial series of attacks before the snakes hit the fan. I was not happy that they kept making the same mistake several times (leaving one person alone in the cockpit flying the plane), and the green "snake-o-vision" was nothing special, but otherwise I was able to put both logic and reasoning on the back burner for this one. Plus, my wife fled the theater and you just have to round up for any movie that makes that happen.

4.0 out of 5 stars "That's good news. Snakes on crack!", August 18, 2006
H. Bala "Me Too Can Read" (Recently moved back to Carson, California, or as I call it... the center of the universe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Snakes on a Plane is one of those wacky, implausible action/thrillers that you get a kick out of, but don't take too seriously. I mean, c'mon, really, on paper the concept of passengers having to deal with crawly reptiles while trapped thousands of feet in the air just shouts out CHEESY! But it somehow works. It has that fun, tongue-in-cheek, popcorn feel of films like Arachnophobia and Tremors. And, like those two films, Snakes on a Plane lives up to its promise of vicarious thrills, as it has enough jump-in-your-seat moments to seem like a wild Magic Mountain ride; that's the kind of rush you get.

And it doesn't take itself seriously. It is what it is: snakes on a plane. But it doesn't hurt that the film has someone of Samuel Jackson's caliber to headline it. Ever since Pulp Fiction, Samuel Jackson has been identified with hipness and has been hailed universally (but mostly by the MTV gen) as the coolest cat around, and whatever vehicle he stars in seems to gain some kind of credibility. Yup, even this decidedly B-level movie.

Very quickly, the plot: When Sean Jones (Nathan Phillips) witnesses a brutal murder in Hawaii, he becomes the lead witness to the prosecution trying to put away arch-criminal Eddie Kim (Byron Lawson). Sean is placed in protective custody, under the eyes of his watchdog FBI Agent Flynn (Samuel Jackson). Sean and Agent Flynn board a redeye flight headed for Los Angeles, where Eddie Kim is currently under close surveillance and where Sean will testify. But Kim has found out about Sean and decides to take care of him by sneaking a crate of venomous snakes on the plane. Now, the plane's vent circulation has been laced with pheromones which rile up these creatures, and when the plane launches and the crate's time release mechanism sets loose the snakes - well, the crazy fun is on!

There are so many scenarios you can come up with when you have snakes on the prowl, slithering in a confined area, amongst clueless people, and the writers dreamt up some doozies. There's one particular bathroom scene (no, not the couple making out, the other bathroom scene) that made me really cringe. Also a standout moment was the passenger lady with the barf bag. And biting or squeezing victims (yes, there's an anaconda!) aren't all that these snakes do. They double the jeopardy by getting into the plane's inner mechanisms and wirings and take out the flight's avionics system. And, of course, both pilots succumb to snake villainy. Oh, is there no end to these snake shenanigans?

The acting, like the cheesy plot, is mediocre. Even my ER crush Julianna Margulies is just decent here. The one standout (other than Jackson) is Gerard Plunkett, who has brief moments as a rude-as-hell businessman, who had been ousted from first class. He really got under my skin, which is ironic, because later on...well, you'll see. And how does Samuel Jackson fare, acting wise? The usual. Jackson brings his patented "cool," his ferocity, and his full-on commitment into the role of Special Agent Nelville Flynn. No surprise there. Whether armed with a taser, a fire extinguisher, a harpoon gun, or contemplating using a spork as a weapon, you daren't bet against him.

The death-by-snake sequences are depicted in such a gruesome, graphic manner, yet they're done in such a broad, over-the-top style that the violence is blunted and the scenes go beyond being offensive to being surreal. Let's face it, in the right situations (like in movie theatres), we enjoy being scared. It's kinda like taking that ride in Universal, and King Kong shows up, and you jump and chuckle. Or maybe visiting a fun house. Or, again, like taking a Magic Mountain ride. That's what it felt like to me. And, of course, the audience went wild when Agent Flynn said what everyone had been waiting for: "Enough is enough! I have had it with these *&%(!! snakes on this *&%(!! plane!"

Samuel Jackson vowed on the MTV Movie Awards that Snakes on a Plane will win the best movie on MTV next year. I'm rooting for him. Three and a half stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good as is, but it could be so much more, August 18, 2006

And did I like it?

In the end, yes. But I couldn't stop thinking about what could have been.

Snakes on a plane follows the saga of an FBI agent (Samuel Jackson) as he protects a vital witness who's set to testify against a crime lord guy in los Angeles. However, the crime lord has connections, and sets out to kill the witness. And how does he intend to do that?

With snakes.

Lots and lots of hyper-crazed, super aggressive snakes.

The concept of Snakes on a plane is just begging not to be taken too seriously. It's the kind of movie that should seemingly be a campy, spoofy film that doesn't take itself seriously and has a lot of fun with the material.

However, the movie is the exact opposite. It takes itself quite seriously in all aspects, from charachters to the plot. There are of course, jokes, but all of them are dialoge and not situations as you would think. This is probably the biggest suprise of the movie: It actually pulls off a crazy, unique idea very well. The idea of these snakes on a 747 50,000 feet above the air is pulled off very well in a way that's believable and not hokey.

The snakes, the stars of the movie (after Jackson), are hyper-aggressive and do come off as genuinly threatening. They attack anything that moves and when there are dozens of them in the cramped interior of an airplane, the results aren't pretty. This is where squemish viewers will probably want to stay away, because these snakes attack virtually all parts of the human body. I don't want to give away too much, but if a snake bites and latches itself onto a human eyeball, you get an idea of what they'll go after. This is a part of the film that is suprising: It's very violent. There are lots of bodies, lots of "Oh yuck!" moments all over, and one very effective jump moment that I won't give away. Earlier this year, there were reshoots to make the film more gory for an R rating, and you can easily tell which scenes those are (the high heel for example).

Samuel Jackson does an excellent job in this film. He's belivable, and he of course, says the best lines in the film. He's brave, courageous, and doesn't hesitate to get his hands dirty. The other charachters are actually given quite a bit of screen time to help develop them and it's not very easy to tell who's going to be killed and who won't be. There were some charachters I was sure who would die who diddn't, and a few who I thought would live and who diddn't.

The film is just about the right length and moves quite belivably in terms of what to do next in the storyline because let's face it, you can't really come up with a lot of scenes diverging from "Snakes attack people" in a movie like this. To the film's credit, it does manage to create attack scene after attack scene that doesn't seem redundant and repetitive. However, the storyline does dry out in the climax of the story, which isn't a last, final showdown against the snakes as I thought it would be. In fact, the snakes aren't the main factor of the climax, which I think they should be.

Overall, Snakes on a plane isn't as hokey or dumb as you might think. It takes itself seriously and pulls off the idea of serpants on a flying plane very well. But...it's just not...right. In my view, a film like this is just begging to be a spoofish movie and the end result isn't. The first teaser trailer gave the impression that this was a silly and hokey movie, but sadly it was misleading advertising. If I had helmed this film, it would have been closer to the vein of attack of the killer tomaotes, but the end result is good as it is.

I'd recommend it, but I probably will never see it more then twice before I move on to something else. Hopefully, it'll be spoofed in the next scary movie.

Final rating: 6.8/10

And if you're wondering, yes, Mr. Jackson does say "I want these motherf***ing snakes off this motherf***king plane!!!". And yes, he says it very well, considering all the cheers in the theater. This just might be the next Napoleon Dynamite in terms of quotes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Accept It....Snake Haters...This Movie Is Good..., August 14, 2006
IJustDiedAlive (Northern CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Finally something original at the movies for once. Hopefully hollywood will realize there are other movie fans that will frequent the movie theaters if we get some damn variety out here. Every other week it is a stupid teen love story movie with bad dancing or very bad singing. This movie opens the door back up to a genre that has been totally underated and dismissed. Give the movie a chance........Send in the Mongoose!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Time is Tissue!", December 3, 2006
Boss Fan (Take a Right at the Light, Keep Going Straight Until Night) - See all my reviews
One could argue there is a downside to all the pre-release hype and the notion of turning movies into cult classics before they even hit the screen. It is a little unfortunate, for instance, that when Jackson finally recites his already classic "Make My Day" line ("I've had it with these motherf*#king snakes on this motherf#@king plane!") some of the joy is lost because you either know it is coming or you have been waiting the last 90 minutes for it. Moments like these are supposed to be something of a surprise. Discovered in the moment and then traded down amongst friends until it finally makes its way into the pop culture lexicon. I don't think anyone was running around yelling "Yippie-Ky-Yay, motherf*#ker!" six months before the release of "Die Hard." Things like this are supposed to catch on by accident, not be made specifically to do so.

And that could be said about "Snakes on a Plane" itself. The problem with setting out to make a film that is a cult classic from the get-go is that it negates the term. Cult classics are such because they have, over the years, earned that reputation. If a film is a cult classic just because it includes a lot of intentionally bad dialogue, over the top performances and ridiculous action, then nearly every Sci-Fi Channel movie or the hundreds of straight to video flicks that line the walls at Blockbuster are cult classics. Truly great, so-bad-its-good B-movies usually become labeled as such because they aren't in on the joke. The intent was to make an actual film, but they failed so miserably that the movies becomes unintentionally hilarious, yet everyone is playing it with such conviction it is even more hilarious (think "Roadhouse"). I'm not sure you can set out to create that. It doesn't have the same feel or effect when you know that's what they are trying to do.

But even if calling "Snakes on a Plane" a cult classic lacks authenticity and feels both premature and inaccurate, there is no denying it is still a lot of fun. Some might ask why you couldn't just watch a crappy creature movie for free on many a cable channel rather than going out and ponying up hard earned cash for something so trite. Make no mistake, while "Snakes" revels in its hokiness, it still looks better and has more quality performances and action sequences than you run of the mill creature feature ("Dinocroc," anyone?). It is a good-looking action flick that warrants a big-screen release, however, it still knows to skew everything just cheesy enough (dialogue, performances, effects) to put the film firmly in the tongue-in-cheek action category. Let's face it, a movie titled "Snakes on a Plane" isn't likely to confuse too many people looking for quality or smarts.

All that said, if you were to come across "SoaP" some night on, say, Cinemax, you would be pleasantly surprised with how much fun this movie is, with its hilariously overblown caricatures of characters, its script where everything is written as if intended to be a one-liner, and its totally absurd high concept plotting (hundreds of poisonous snakes placed on a plane in order to kill a witness because they could not get to him since the plane is so heavily guarded by police and government officials - how, then, did they get the snakes on the plane? - if they can do that, surely they can get a gun and gunman onboard). Sam Jackson is perfect for the part and some of his lines are true classics ("Time is Tissue," he is told - love his WTF face in response).

It's a shame expectations and hype were so high. "SoaP" is indeed junk, and it doesn't rate as the high-junk as many were hoping and/or led to believe. But it is still good-looking, fast paced, highly entertaining junk. Since it was something of a disappointment at the box office, maybe it will now have a shot at achieving true cult status.

It certainly deserves it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Roller Coaster Ride of the Summer, August 23, 2006
thornhillatthemovies.com (Venice, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
****1/2

"Snakes on a Plane" should've been released at the beginning of the summer, providing the lackluster season with the jumpstart it needed. "Snakes" is The Summer Movie of the summer, a fun ride, filled with thrills, scares, laughs, fun dialogue and good action.

Samuel L. Jackson reportedly jumped at the chance to headline this film and I have no doubt this will pay off for him. There is enormous internet buzz about the project and the screening I attended was populated with people with their faces painted like snakes and wearing homemade t-shirts. This film has got to make a boatload of money. Right?

Sean Jones (Nathan Phillips), a twenty something out enjoying the Hawaiian countryside on his dirt bike, when he comes across a bloodied man hanging upside down from a bridge. The man tells him to hide. Soon, Eddie Kim (Bryon Lawson), a gangster, shows up and murders the man but spots Sean as he speeds away. Hiding in his apartment, Sean hears someone jiggling the front door and rushes towards the balcony, trying to escape, when he finds FBI Agent Neville Flynn (Samuel L. Jackson) who has arrived just in time to save his life. Flynn convinces Sean to fly back to Los Angeles and testify against the gangster, but Eddie Kim isn't about to let anyone testify against him, so he has some of his men on the lookout. Using a private plane as a decoy, Flynn, his partner and Sean take over the First Class cabin of Pacific Air flight 121, making Flight Attendant Claire Miller's (Julianna Marguilies) last flight hell. She has been accepted to law school and looks forward to never having to say "I'm sorry, you can't sit in first class, but there is plenty of room in coach". Shortly after taking off, the snakes get loose and there are a lot of motherf***ing snakes on the motherf***ing plane. As they slither around, all hell breaks loose.

Whether they will admit it or not, studios salivate at the prospect of a `high concept' film, the projects they spend the most money on, devote the most advertising dollars to and book into the largest number of theaters. These projects usually begin with a pitch involving writers comparing too popular films. "It's Freddy Vs. Jason." "It's a female Indiana Jones." "It's teenagers Vs. Death". These simple ideas translate well into advertising and are more likely to capture the attention of a lot more people. I can't even imagine the reaction when the writers walked into the New Line offices and said "its snakes on a plane." That's all you need to know. But what sets some of these high concept films apart, makes them more memorable than others, is the window dressing.

And Samuel L. Jackson is a good start for some interesting window dressing. Showing up moments before Sean would surely be killed; Flynn saves the young man's life and then manages to deal with just about every obstacle thrown in his way. Throughout, he exhibits the FBI Agent's toughness, never letting anything under his skin. The writers have come up with some memorable lines for Flynn, but Jackson makes them work, delivering them with his trademark deadpan cadence. The most memorable line was reportedly inspired by an internet parody of the film and added during reshoots. There is never any doubt who is in charge and this character will remain a memorable figure in cinema for some time.

Director David R. Ellis has a lot of fun with the film, taking us on the celluloid equivalent of a roller coaster ride. He realizes the core audience will most likely have a short attention span, they want to see some snakes on a plane. But he has to get things going, introducing us to the characters and setting the story in motion. As he diverts our attention, to the details of some of the characters, he also cuts back to the hold of the plane, and shots of a timer, as it ticks down. We can put two and two together and figure out when the timer reaches 0:00, the snakes will get out.

After the snakes are released, they slowly work their way through the cargo and this causes a lot of havoc with the electrical equipment. The Captain goes down to investigate, meeting one of the snakes. Yet, because this is an isolated event, no one else is aware of the problem yet. Then a couple of passengers, who are isolated from the rest of the plane, meet the deadly beasts. All of this amps us up for the main action, when the snakes enter the main passenger cabin. This reveal is unique, interesting and funny.

When the rest of the passengers realize there are snakes on the plane, the roller coaster car begins speeding down the track, providing a lot of thrills and chills.

Some of these attacks are amusing, some frightening, some just plane gross. Most of them elicit the response they do because we can identify. If a snake bit me there, it would be very painful.

"Snakes on a Plane" is a thrill ride of a movie. The entertainment value of the film is through the roof.

That said, "Snakes" is not a great film. It could've been so much better, and so much more memorable, if a little more detail were paid to the window dressing. Beyond the core group of leads, we learn very little about most of the characters. This is the type of film where everyone is established with the quickest, broadest strokes, merely enforcing the comic book nature of the story. Also, because of this, it becomes extremely easy to pick out who will be killed by the snakes. Let's do a test. I will describe some of the passengers on Flight 121 and you decide which ones are killed during the course of the film; two young boys traveling unaccompanied to visit their mom in Los Angeles, afraid of taking the flight until their father charges the older boy with the care of the younger boy, the co-pilot who, wearing snakeskin boots, hits on every female crew member, an obnoxious British man who isn't happy about having to sit in coach with the `filthy Americans', a couple traveling home from their honeymoon and the husband has a fear of flying, a new mother carrying her baby in a papoose. I'll bet you got it right.

Even though his presence is felt in every scene, the villain doesn't make a reappearance after his first two, brief scenes. Yes, we know he is responsible for the snakes on a plane, and he clearly gets away (how else would they make a sequel), but we never see him again. As the credits roll, picture begins again and it would make sense to see a brief explanation of how he escaped. No, instead we get a music video.

If you are even remotely familiar with the premise of "Final Destination", it should come as no surprise that Director Ellis, who helmed "Destination 2", goes to great pains to come up with some elaborate snake attacks. After they attack this body part, and that body part, the attacks start to take a turn and become gory and gross for the sake of being gory and gross, deadening their impact.

These quibbles aside, "Snakes on a Plane" is a great ride and a lot of fun. You will be hard pressed to find a better thrill ride at the movies this summer.

Snakes on a Plane [Blu-ray]
Snakes on a Plane [Blu-ray] by David R. Ellis (Blu-ray - 2009)
$14.98 $9.49