Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Product Packaging: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change
Price:$20.99 - $189.00

on June 6, 2011
We bought this toy, and at the beginning my children did not play with it , it was kind of "complicated", different from traditional toys, many pieces, etc... It was mysterious. One rainy day I started playing with it myself, grabbed the manual and suddenly all of my children wanted to play, it wasn't complicated at all y was super interesting and fun. All you need to do is do a couple of projects with them, so they can learn how to use it. We don't call the pieces by its name yet, but it will be my next step, to explain each part, what is it for, why is important, so they can learn. Since that day I always buy it as a birthday gift for the 5 years old children that have play with us while at my house and up. I'II recommend to use it with an adult to help them so it will be more fun for all. We have made the radio, the alarm, the water activated alarm, etc...
review image
0Comment|213 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2003
The best point in favour of this product is that it is lego style toy that does not intimidate a child with intricate electronic components. My 6-1/2 year old daughter started playing with it and was very excited to have completed her first project to light a bulb with a switch. Theories of electricity followed naturally when initially the bulb did not lightup. I showed her the shiny metal strip beneath the connectors and explained conductivity a little.
Another major advantage is that there are mostly no wires, and the components are hidden from view, giving it a very un-complicated look that a child can easily comprehend. This difference makes possible for my daughter to actually play with it.
The only problem seems to be the quality of plastic used. It looks as if it might break if a component was bent while snapping in. Still, I highly recommend this product.
0Comment|676 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is the ideal kit to get your child on the road to understanding electricity. Everything just snaps together like building blocks, and there's no need for screwdrivers, soldering irons, electrical tape or testers.

The instruction manual is easy to read, and includes diagrams for 101 projects. With a little help for the first few, a child can easily work their way through the book with minimal adult supervision.

The video shows a few of the projects - a switch circuit with light bulb, running a DC motor and fan, a Space War alarm combo, and a flying saucer. There's also a clip of a lamp and fan in series, showing that the fan takes a while to turn at full speed because of inertia.

There are also games, sirens, projects activated by clapping or light, and projects that introduce digital circuits. There are three kits that are more advanced, but you can also get upgrade kits to take each to the next level.

If you're looking for an educational toy that your child will really enjoy, I recommend you put this one on your list.

Amanda Richards, December 30, 2007
1717 comments|778 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2004
My son has a thousand motors working without this kit, I rarely can slow him down. I bought this and he loves it! He will sit and play with it. This kit stimulates his brain enough that he doesn't have to run around, tearing down the house, chipping the walls, screaching, teasing and peeling paint. Anyone with ADHD kids out there know what I mean? Gotta have something like this, for kids like these!!!
It doesn't contain a huge amount of pieces like a box of blocks and after a few tries with adult help, I would say an eight year old can do this alone. It isn't dangerous. There are a couple of parts that can be torn easily by rough kids but a lot of stuff can still be made any way.
Make lazer sounds, sirens, make songs come out, or fans, a ufo spin off toy (launches in the air),several types of games to play, a doorbell, a couple of computer part thingies, other light blinkie things, even stuff your kid can only dream up. Has lots of noisy sounds that will drive you nuts so send the kid somewhere else. LOL.
77 comments|596 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2015
As a kid (more years ago than I care to admit) I played with the Phillips electronics set; it came with multiple values of resistors, capacitors, inductors, a few transistors, switches, and wires, instructions to make about 30 different circuits and a booklet which explained how and why things worked. That set has been off-the-market for ages, so reading that this set allows a child to build 100 circuits made me curious. I bought it for my kids and after opening the box had to realize that it is just advertising hoopla.
Your reaction to this set will depend on what you expect. If you are pleasantly surprised at connecting a few terminals and having something that works, this is the toy for your child. If you hope it will teach at least elementary electronics, you (like me) will be disappointed
I will list first the positives:
1) my 9-years-old child took to it like fire to straw; in the first 24 hours since opening the box (including one full day of school) he has blazed without help through about 2/3 of the projects, and shows no sign of getting bored. The 6 years old one, instead, shows no interest.
2) all components worked
3) the molded-plastic box liner helps keep the pieces neatly organized and identify what might have been dropped on the floor and risks being forgotten at the end of the play session.
And for the negatives:
1) There are maybe 15 basic circuits here, and multiple variations on each one. Example: a circuit will allow you to turn on a light by clapping your hands, and another circuit will allow you to start a siren by clapping your hands. The manufacturer counts those as two different circuits, even though the only (minuscule difference) is using as output the light bulb vs. the speaker component. Do not expect anywhere near the level of fun that "over 100 exciting projects" could provide.
2) Most of the elements provided are (really) just a glorified piece of copper wire of various lengths. There is two IC, a couple switches, an input and output unit each for sound and light, a DC motor, a battery holder; the rest could be replaced with unbent paperclips, and nobody would be the wiser. For over $20 I would have hoped to get more than a couple dollars' worth of components.
3) The instructions are erector-set-like: you are vaguely told what the circuit is supposed to do and given a picture representation of what it should look like. There is no discussion/explanation of why it should work as planned, or what each component does. The one control IC is provided in a sealed opaque box with unlabeled terminals and no description of what other circuitry might be embedded inside the plastic case.
4) The microphone is extremely insensitive. On circuits which are triggered by sound you get better/faster/repeatible response by hitting the IC component that by making noise near the sensor (microphone).

Summary: out-of-the box this seems a construction set (think Lego City) with electricity. If left alone with the toy a child will learn how to connect the pieces and follow instructions, and little more. A child left with the toy will not understand electricity and electronic any better than a child without the toy unless he/she has also access to a DMM or (preferably) an oscilloscope and a relative showing what happens to the voltages and waveforms when different terminals are connected on the ICs .

I would definitely recommend this toy before a playstation, but want to believe there are better products out there.
44 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2007
My son got this for his 5th birthday. It took him a day to figure out how to follow the diagrams. Within 3 days he was creating his own circuts. I heard him teaching his 4 year old brother all about electricity. He said. "No John don't lay that across the battery it will short circuit. and, "The circuit has to make a complete circle from battery to battery for the electricity to flow through it." Never put water anywhere near anything electric." etc...... He just started Kindergarten. I know they are not learning about elctricity yet, so he had to of learned all of this from this toy. I was impressed. He is impresssed with himself. He's taking it into school for show and tell so he can show his teachers what he can do. This product is completely safe too. Think of it like legos with electrical parts. They will not get a shock. Just don't give it to a kid that will swallow the pieces.

I buy the snap circuit sc-100 for his classmates when he is in invited to their birthday parties too. What a great gift!
0Comment|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2006
I bought this for my 9-year old grandson's birthday. He loved it and in fact, did not play with his Game Cube or computer for days on end because he wanted to play with this. I highly recommend!
0Comment|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2013
I purchased this along with the Elenco Snap Circuits SC-750R Student Training Program. The SC-750R is for a nephew of mine that I home-school. This product (the SC-100) is for his little brother who will be going into the first grade next school year (Fall 2013).

I knew that the little one would be jealous of his older brother when he would see the larger box for the SC-750R, so I got him this one so that he & I could work some of the projects together as well.

Now, the project book and all of the pieces come with the SC-750R; however, I wanted to be sure that the two had their separate sets of equipment and not fight over who wants to do what.

So far, we have only unboxed the SC-100...we have not yet put any projects together. We will be doing that tomorrow, however he is already chomping at the bit to do something with it. As we assemble the projects I will be adding pictures and/or video of what he's doing and updating this review. I do have one thing to say, though: as I had mentioned in my review for the SC-750R, the SC-100 does feel like it can not take much abuse since it is mostly plastic. But, once again, we have not put together any projects yet.

****

The next day - so we ripped through doing about 6 or 8 of the projects. He loved it. I've added a video of him doing the second project. Now remember, this is a 6-year-old putting this circuit together.

In regards to my earlier comment of the durability or the Snap Circuits, I still think some care needs to be taken in handling them. When placing the pieces on the Base Grid (breadboard / circuit board equivalent), you should press on the nipples of the connectors and not on the center of the piece. I know this seems like "Common Sense" information, but when a child gets excited they don't tend to think of the little things like that; so keep giving them little (and nicely put) reminders to press on the ends of the pieces and not straight down on the middle.

(Btw, the video was taken with Apple iPad with Retina Display MD511LL/A (32GB, Wi-Fi, Black) NEWEST VERSION, but I had to downgrade the resolution due to Amazon.com having a size requirement of 100Mb for video reviews.)
on May 23, 2006
I bought this for my 6-year old neighbor. Even as I gave it to him, I thought, "He's gonna hate it!" Even he thought he would hate it and he told me so! Well, then we started playing. I helped with the first of the 101 experiments which are all very clearly described in the kit. Once we finished the first experiment, he was done with me and off on his own.

I cannot recommend this kit highly enough. My young friend loves it. He isn't crazy about reading, but he can easily understand the diagrams in the experiment booklet. To see his face light up when he first wired up a doorbell all my himself was a wondrous thing.

Although the toy is recommended for children ages 8 to 108, I do think first graders can enjoy it after some gentle guidance from an adult.

I'll be purchasing the more advanced version for my young neighbor long before his next birthday. This is one fun AND educational toy!
on August 7, 2015
The product is such a nice thing to have with a 4 year old boy. My son recently had challenges in focusing on tasks when he is intelligent and sharp but due to latest I-pad and mobile technologies swiping between tasks has become so easy for kids that they can;t focus on one task at a time. I bought this STEM product for specific reason. I made sure i sit with my son every day now and go one project per day with him. initially for first two days i noticed in middle of project excitement caused him to distract but when he saw end result and achieved to make a circuit of his own he noticed that focusing a little can get him good results. now every day he brings the box to me and he himself creates new projects.
I recommend this to every parent today as this will help you create better bond, sync your thought process, develop consistency to your kids and off course add a lot of fun along the way.