Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon July 19, 2006
Got these at a Target store nearby, rather than online. This is a really good value, as the same products (not even including the scoops) would cost over $28 if purchased separately.

The large 120 oz holds a 5 lb bag of flour, and I've been looking for a while for a convenient, attractive container for that. I will be stocking up on these to do my whole pantry.

The one-handed, one-motion snap lid is a life-saver, especially if you have kids in the house. If it's not quick and simple, it just doesn't get closed up at my house. With these containers, it only takes a quick smack and it's closed up tight. So convenient, even the 15 year old will do it (I can't tell you how many stale "reclosable bags" of stuff I've thrown away).

For me, these are awesome. I would highly recommend them.
on September 22, 2005
I have been using Snapware containers for over 6 years. They are the best canister type storage containers on the market. I have purchased many 10 piece square container sets and individual pieces. I like them better than Tupperware or Rubbermaid. I've never had a Snapware container to break, they are very durable. Some of my containers are over 6 years old. The 120 ounce container is perfect for a 5 lb bag of flour or sugar. I have all my baking supplies (flour, sugar, baking soda, cornmeal, etc, etc.) and other pantry items (dry beans, pasta, popcorn, etc.) stored in Snapware. They are truly airtight and will keep your flours and grains fresh. I also use them in my freezer to store flours and grains that are susceptible to rancidity. Snapware is great for panty storage.
22 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2011
I own many different air tight containers and have always wanted someone to review them in one place so I could read before buying. I hope this is helpful to others. I hand wash all containers regardless of instructions to preserve the life of the containers. Here's my take on all of them.

SNAPWARE
I've used these for years and years and gave them away when I converted to OXO Pop storage.

PROS
-Durable - dropped countless times, nothing happened to them
-Extremely cost effective
-Easy to open and close
-Airtight
-Easy to grab/grip
-Easy to pour contents
-Easy to see through them
-They resist scratching pretty well considering we had ours for years, stored all kinds of things in them (unshelled nuts comes to mind) and they weren't really scratched when I gave them away

CONS
-They do not stack
-Can be a challenge to fill when pouring contents if you're not careful
-They do take a little longer to clean than the ClickClack and OXO because of the container's shape. The lid is easy to clean (for the lid - the gasket does slide out easily for me with prodding and dries overnight on the counter on a cloth) but getting the gasket back in correctly requires a little more time and patience

CLICK CLACK WITH SIDE LOCK LIDS
I use the ClickClack large canisters for flour, sugar, etc. They are made of a durable, hard plastic. To avoid scratching when scooping contents we use plastic measuring cups and spoons. Initially I purchased some of their round containers as well, but since they didn't fit well with the others didn't keep them.

PROS
-Easy to lock/unlock lid
-Lots if different sizes for different items
-They stack well
-Airtight
-Easy to grab/grip
-Easy to see through them
-Durable. Several have been dropped - nothing happened to them. That's impressive considering they have been dropped while empty or full (with a box of brown sugar - the added weight didn't cause them to crack).
-They don't scratch as easily as the OXO containers
-Easy to clean (for the lid - the gasket does slide out easily for me with prodding and dries overnight on the counter on a cloth)

CONS
-Locking handle on lids breaks. But that was after using for 2-3 years. I use black electrical tape to tape them on over the edge which works, but isn't exactly ideal considering their price. They probably sell a replacement, haven't checked.
-The bottoms are scratched where we slide them on and off shelves, but that's not an issue for me.
-They do scratch if a stainless utensil is used inside to scrape out contents but that's to be expected with plastic

LOCK AND LOCK
I use several of the same size of Lock & Lock large rectangular storage containers to stack upon one another, and another longer one for loaves of bread. They are made of a much softer, BPA free plastic than the OXO or ClickClack.

PROS
-Easy to lock/unlock lid
-These are great for storing items in the fridge, they lock well, stack well, and are easy to hand wash clean
-Easy to clean (for the lid - the gasket does slide out easily for me by tapping the lid on the counter. Dries overnight on the counter on a cloth)
-Lots if different sizes for different items
-They stack well
-Easy to grab/grip

CONS
-Not as easy to see through as the ClickClack or the OXO
-They break. One was dropped while it was full and the whole bottom cracked along the edge where it was dropped and a large piece broke off rendering it useless

OXO POP
My favorite. These are beautiful, easy to use, and stack well. Made of a fragile hard plastic.

PROS
-Easiest to seal and unlock seal
-Airtight
-Lots if different sizes for different items
-They stack well
-Easy to grab/grip
-Easy to pour contents
-Absolutely beautiful storage containers
-Makes pantry inventory simple (and dare I say a pleasure :)

CONS
- Very expensive
-They break very easily. One drop and they're done for which is a huge bummer considering how expensive they are
-They scratch very easily
-Shipping is an issue. We ordered ours from two different sites (Macy's had a sale that applied to them which helped since they are so $$$$). However both Amazon and Macy shipped scratched (long, deep scratches on the sides) containers, Amazon had some that were scratched and some that were broken.
-Not easy to clean. The lids have to be taken apart and take a long time to dry. Putting them back together takes practice to get it just right

NOTE
While they do stack, my advice measure what you have now before buying. My preference is the rectangular containers, not the squares. Trying to use both does not translate well in the pantry for stacking so I found that the rectangular containers combined with the 1.5 qt taller square one worked well for me.

GLASSLOCK
I use these to store wheat germ, ground flax seed, and other baking ingredients in the fridge. They are made of a thick, heavy glass with a plastic locking lid.

PROS
-Airtight
-They stack well
-Easy to grab/grip
-Easy to see through them
-Glass - no leaching from plastic unless you fill container until it touches lid (tough to do since the lid is slightly raised)
-They do not scratch easily. I use anything I want to remove the contents and haven't scratched the containers. Not sure about the lid - but I don't see a reason to scrape anything off the lid
-Very easy to clean

CONS
-Take a lot of effort to seal and unlock seal. I wouldn't recommend these containers to someone lacking hand strength
-Some might consider these heavy even when empty
on September 19, 2009
I'm using these for sugar, cornstarch and dried mushrooms
Pros:
- lightweight
- handle makes it easy to grab from a cupboard or shelf with 1 hand
- easy to open and close
- works well with measuring spoons or cups up to 1/2 cup

Cons:
- Difficult to pour stuff out. The rubber seal gets in the way. You need to tip the container more to get over the rubber seal, so you don't have as much control over how much you pour or where it is going.
- Bigger measuring cups don't fit.

I wanted to use these containers for flour, but I need a cup at a time. The measuring cups didn't fit, and it was difficult to pour an exact amount, so it didn't work. But they are very good for stuff you frequently use in small amounts, or for dried stuff you can take out with your hands.
on February 20, 2007
When you live in Hawaii, things can get staled very quickly. If you leave bread or chips out for a couple of hours, you may as well throw it away. Since we moved here, we found ourselves throwing away a lot of food (and money). As a result, I have been searching for a long time for a solution to keep cereal, chips, etc. fresh. We tried those big clips but they didn't do the trick. We tried other storage containers, no luck. Zip-lock bags were OK, but it was a hassle buying them, the cabinets looked messy...well you get the point.

Snapware was the answer to our problems. It is just fantastic. It keeps the food fresh. I have had snapware for a few months and nothing has gone staled. It is easy to use. The handles are nice (my kids can hold the containers), the lids are easy to snap open & close and cleaning is simple. Lastly they keep your cabinets organized and the containers look good too. I highly recommend this product.
on June 2, 2003
I have been using the snapware for over a year for almost all of my dry food storage. It has worked very well, except for the dry powder storage. Recently I have had a problem with moths that grow in flour (and various other items). I found that everything inside of the snapware was fine, but the lids have some open sections that nicely store powder and later the bugs.

The good news is that the stuff inside was always fine (as long as the lid was closed). It is very easy to use - wide mouth opening is very nice.

My snapware has had some abuse, so I'm able to say this also...follow the directions, and make sure it is not placed near heat. It will deform.
First off, this set includes 5 canisters. The ten pieces referred to include the lids: 5 canisters & 5 lids = 10 pieces.

Second, these canisters are a bit of a disappointment. I have several other Snapware canisters that I've owned for several years and they are much higher quality than these. The plastic this set is made from is much thinner and isn't nearly as ridged. This plastic is no thicker than what you get at SamsClub when buying a large bin of pretzels or cookies. The lids work fine, but they too are not as thick as my older canisters.

I love my older Snapware canisters, but these are nowhere near as nice. They work fine for storing dry cereal, crackers, etc., but I wish that they had used the more durable materials that my older canisters are made from. Still, the price is reasonable for for 5 canisters, so if you tend to be light on things, these might be perfect for you. If you move a lot, or are hard on things, I recommend getting stainless steel canisters with locking tops like these: Stainless Steel Canisters: set of 4.
review image review image
on December 2, 2002
I like this set because it seals really well. You can tell by squeezing and snapping the lid closed and then opening it. It makes a "pop". The only thing is... it isn't much good for sugar, salt, or powdery things. The lip catches small particles and won't seal well. I would recoment this as far as what is shown in the picture, but not for baking ingredients.
on August 6, 2002
I like this container very much. It has an easy grip. The rectangular shape is optimal for storage. The lid is easy to open and close even with only one hand. The opening is wide and makes it convenient to pick up the contents. Because it is clear, I know immediately the contents.
on April 18, 2007
I like these cannisters much better than the heavy ceramic ones I used previously. Nice grips built in, good when my arthritis is acting up and I find it hard to pick up stuff. Lightweight, a big improvement over glass or ceramic containers. I don't have to worry that it will shatter when it drops. The lids are really handy, easy to open and close.

The only reason I'm giving this 4 stars instead of 5 is because I bought two identical sets of these cannisters, and one of the smaller ones had the lid put on crooked. I haven't managed to get it all the way off or all the way on, and it was too much hassle to mail the whole set back for one tiny cannister. Maybe one day I can find someone stronger to fix it for me, until then it's not usable. Otherwise, I'm quite pleased with my purchase.

An edit in January 2009: I've had these cannisters now for almost 2 years. I'm still just as happy with them as when I first bought them. I lost one - my own fault - after putting it in the dishwasher. When it came out a crumpled mess, I saw the warning notice on it. I plan to buy a couple more of the large sizes to expand my collection.

January 2013 edit - Here it is close to 6 years, and they are still working as well as when I first bought them.