4.0 out of 5 stars Off to Alaska

3.0 out of 5 stars Cruelty criticism unfair
Published on February 6, 2008 by Eric Scarbro

4.0 out of 5 stars Off to Alaska, December 16, 2007
Julie Neal (Celebration, Fla.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Snow Buddies (DVD)
This direct-to-video movie is a sequel to last year's Air Buddies. In this one, the five pups find themselves in Alaska, where they are soon befriended by Shasta, a Husky pup, and his owner, a young boy named Adam. The boy has big dreams of becoming a sled dog racer, and if the Buddies can get him to the finish line they will be on their way back home. They turn to a wise old Husky for mentorship, but on the day of the race, the Buds unexpectedly find themselves on their own. From what I've been able to see of the film I think many younger kids will love it (the puppies are cute), but adults will be bored.

Here are the bonus features:
* Audio commentary (from the dogs!).
* A blooper reel.
* A hip-hop-style music video of "Lean on Me" by "Hannah Montana" star Mitchel Musso.
* Behind the Scenes "dog-u-mentary," which gives you a tour of the set from the perspective of the video's canine stars B-Dawg, Rosebud and Mudbud.
* A featurette on the film's visual effects.

The movies are based in part on the 1997 feature film Air Bud.

5.0 out of 5 stars No cruelty involved, February 5, 2008
This review is from: Snow Buddies (DVD)
I think people need to be aware that the American Humane Society WAS present during the filming of this movie and none of the animals were treated inhumanely. The same person who wrote one of the Amazon reviews also wrote the same review at several other sites and is spouting misinformation.

That being said, the movie is adorable, my child loved it. He's a fan of dogs and of dog sledding and he enjoyed every bit of it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cruelty criticism unfair, February 6, 2008
Eric Scarbro (Golden, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snow Buddies (DVD)
I am planning to rent the movie Snow Buddies to watch with my children. I was concerned about the several one star reviews that sited animal cruelty in the production of the film. I believe, based on reading the American Humane Society's press release, that the criticism is unfair and felt compelled to rebut those reviews. Here is a direct quote from the Humane Society's release:
"American Humane is conducting a full investigation on the trainer and breeders and following the progress of the puppies that have been retired from the production, many of whom have been placed in new adoptive homes. The company producing Snow Buddies has complied with each request from American Humane and has made changes so that working puppies will not be put in any position where they may fall ill. The film production company has been very cooperative and has suspended filming until further notice. All of the dogs in the production now have been checked and are being cared for by a veterinarian. We will continue to monitor the production and release our findings once the investigation is complete."
It may bother some folks that dogs were harmed for any reason and by any person in the making of a film. However, by the Human Society's own account, the film production company appears to have done their best to look out for the welfare of the animals. The problems seem to have been with the trainers and breeders. It seems unfair to punish the producers of the film by condemning their product when they appear to have been unaware of the possible improper conduct of the trainers and breeders.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Kids LOVE the buddies, February 5, 2008
This review is from: Snow Buddies (DVD)
My kids loved AIR BUDDIES--they watched it non-stop and are really excited for Snow Buddies. I've already purchased this one for them as a surprise--I'm sure they'll wear it out too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Disney did it again?, February 7, 2008
This review is from: Snow Buddies (DVD)
My family loved this movie. Disney, of course, did take care of these puppies during the filming. I love the family experience that is so lacking in movies today, this one had it. It also helps to reinforce the friendship that children have with dogs and that all dogs with the proper love and care are good dogs and can be trained well. I wish there were more movies out there like this one. Thank you so much Disney.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow Buddies, February 22, 2009
This review is from: Snow Buddies (DVD)
This is a great movies for children. I watched it with my 5 and 7 year old grandchildren. The movie has several wonderful messages: cooperate by sticking together with family and friends through thick and thin, help the ones who need help, (even if they are the competitors) pay attention to wise advise, try hard to do your best and always remember that parents are usually on your side. Awesome. Great for a Sunday afternoon with grandkids and popcorn.
Maria Russell

4.0 out of 5 stars Adorable Puppies and Beautiful Scenery, February 8, 2008
Jack E. Levic (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snow Buddies (DVD)
SNOW BUDDIES is a fun film for kids and adults. The story is simple and predictable--a group of 5 Golden Retriever puppies accidentally end up in Alaska and become part of a dog race. The joy in this film is watching the adorable puppies and the gorgeous Alaskan scenery. I wish the film had been in the theaters to enhance the beautiful visuals. I see a few reviews are commenting on possible animal cruelty but I feel strongly that Disney would take all precautions for the puppies' safety and well-being during the film. I love animals and this delightful film brought a smile to my face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie !!, February 7, 2008
This review is from: Snow Buddies (DVD)
The treatment of the pups lies with the breeders and trainers not the producers. All the pups should have had their shots before they got to the US and started working on the movie. Blame the trainers and the breeders, not Disney. I have all the Air Bud movies and the previous one with the pups, we'll buy this one too. I feel like Disney would not intentionally harm animals in any movie due to public rebellion. They know people would boycott the product. Buy the movie and enjoy it! Fault the breeders and the trainers! We have all seen the horror stories and they're serving time for it right now!

3.0 out of 5 stars Snow Buddies - Cute Movie but no Blockbuster, March 19, 2008
This review is from: Snow Buddies (DVD)
I like to collect light comedies that are suitable to watch with my grandkids and this is one of those. Five Golden Retriever puppies wander into the back of an ice cream truck and end up being transported from the truck onto a plane that dumps the puppy-filled container over Alaska. The puppies are discovered by another puppy, an Alaskan Husky, whose young owner dreams have having his own dog team. The rest is pretty predictable with few surprises. It's an okay cute movie, but I've seen much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow Buddies, November 27, 2011
This review is from: Snow Buddies (DVD)
These are great DVD's for children. My oreder arrived in good shape and in good time. I would order from this source again.

Snow Buddies (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
Snow Buddies (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) by Robert Vince (Blu-ray - 2012)
$26.50 $18.49