Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon December 8, 2009
This is a cute book that parallels a large family with a small family inside a forgotten snow globe.

The family inside the snow globe longs for a big snowstorm, but no one shakes the snow globe anymore. Baby is the only one who notices.

When the big family gets a snowstorm, Baby manages to pull the snow globe from the mantle. Now the small family can go sledding, too.

It's a clever story. It has no Christmas in it, just winter. Grandma and Grandpa took a picture of us in front of our house, then put it in a snow globe to give to us along with the book.
on November 24, 2010
The School Library Journal review is too harsh! This is a fine book. The concept, illustrations, and text are better than many children's books I have read. I like that the story does not have any references to holidays, so it can be read in a setting such as the public schools or shared with friends of another religion. The holiday-free aspect also makes this book a good choice for January and February, when Christmas is over.
on January 13, 2008
A world within a snowglobe! Imaginative children will LOVE this book! Great illustrations, a simple but happy story, and a captivating concept will make this book a favorite--at Christmas and always. They'll never look at a snowglobe the same way again! Our four-year-old granddaughter was thrilled by it--and so was her grandmother.
on November 29, 2013
This is a gorgeous book that I have been reading to my daughter for years. I have finally gotten around to writing a review. I accentuate the sounds when the family gets "shook" up in the globe and go "Weeeeeee". It's an adorable book. Great for the holidays or anytime of year. Very imaginative. Great illustrative detail. This will become an heirloom book in our family for years to come.
on February 2, 2014
I teach first grade. This is a wonderful story to read on a cold winter day. I wanted a story to go along with my reading prompt, "If I lived in a snow globe..." This story really helped to spark their imaginations. The kids really got into the book and (spoiler alert!) rolled around the floor when the snow globe was shaken up. What a fun read.
on January 2, 2014
I had read this book years ago and found it enchanting. It made me so happy to find it here on Amazon, as I couldn't find it anywhere else. My students absolutely loved the story and the illustrations, as did my 11 y.o. son.
on February 5, 2013
My first grade students and I really liked this book. It's a tale of two families. One family that lives in a snow globe that no one shakes anymore. The other is a regular family that has forgotten about the snow globe on the shelf. Everyone except the baby in the family. The baby is fascinated by the snow globe and is determined to get her hands it.
on January 18, 2013
This book has a great story and beautiful pictures. I used it to show a first grade class what fantasy is. "There could not be a real family living in a snow globe." I loved the way the plot was laid out - the baby was the only one who was interested any more in the snow globe; the illustrations show him eying it from his mother's lap. Then, when a real snowstorm occurs, the older children go outdoors with their dad, and sure enough, Baby finds some furniture and climbs up to get the snow globe. The illustrations show what happens to the family in the globe when Baby, true to form, shakes the globe vehemently and the family inside slips and slides all over the place. We made a snow globe with paper plates after this read-aloud. This book is definitely a good addition to my library.
on January 27, 2013
This is a great story to share with kids! I read it to my first graders and they loved it! In fact, i read it to them several times. As they became more familiar with it they began to anticipate what was coming next. The story provided a lot of opportunities to discuss words with which they were not familiar. We also debated the merits of being the "large" family or the "small" family. I would definately recommend this book!
on February 19, 2014
The beautiful snow globe on the cover drew me to the story. Jane O'Connor tells the story of two parallel families the big family and the little family inside the snow globe and shows them both experiencing storms and playing in the snow. The illustrations are well done and I think this story can lend itself to many lessons in the classroom. I give it three stars because I didn't find the story itself charming. There are many other winter picture books out there I like better.