5.0 out of 5 stars Switched to electric. UPDATE 3/2010
I've been an owner of three different gas snowblowers. Each worked in its own way, from the MTD two-stage to my personal favorite, the Craftsman one-stage.

Published on December 2, 2007 by Coug Moog

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so Great
Published on December 30, 2007 by M Perrota

5.0 out of 5 stars Switched to electric. UPDATE 3/2010, December 2, 2007
This review is from: Snow Joe Ultra 622U1 19-Inch 13-Amp Electric Snow Thrower (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)

Many people see one-stage snow throwers as junk, and I'll agree they have their limitations in heavy or wet snow. But if you get out there right when the snow falls and clear it before it hits ten inches, you'll have a fine time with this little wonder.

It does as good a job at snow removal as my Craftsman single did--the two-stage may be a bit more versatile but it's like handling a rototiller and you have to have a place to store it. This baby hangs on a pair of wall hooks in the garage, with the cord hanging next to it.

I was amazed at how well this little "off brand" thrower does its work. I got it to test the proposition that 99% of snow removal can be done with a little tool like this. But it bore me out last year. Neighbor has an Ariens that cost him almost $1400. When he saw my little blower he offered to clear my driveway for me.

After clearing my (two-car with turnout space) driveway and hanging up the machine and cord back in the garage, I looked next door. He was still trying to get the beast started.

UPDATE MARCH 2010:

Well, I had almost three seasons with Snow Joe, but he couldn't handle the double whammy snowstorms of February--gave up the ghost. So I bought the Toro version of the same thing. It handles very similarly to the Snow Joe, but the impeller and chute design is better. I wish the chute crank were easier to reach (liked that about the SJ) but the Toro gets more snow faster than the SJ.

I was very close to buying one of Toro's gas Power Curve models, but went with another electric. When the second snowstorm hit, this Toro went through it like butter. I made sure to get out there and clear the first batch before it hit ten inches. Second batch was actually deeper at probably about ten inches, and it was just as easy. The Toro took full-width bites out of the first pass. The deeper pass required me to bump it out 4 inches or so to account for the higher snow volume.

But it chewed through it like a champ. I continue to recommend electric snowblowers to homeowners who don't face a huge amount of snow in the winter and don't have more than a hundred feet between their outlet and the street. My 100-foot cord hits the end just as I get to the street. If my driveway were a foot longer I'd have to go with a longer cord.

But I am switching my recommendation from Snow Joe to Toro. The Toro throws better, stays clearer, is better put together, and is quieter than the Snow Joe, especially under load.

Spend the extra and get the Toro. You won't be sorry.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so Great, December 30, 2007
We bought the Snow Joe in December 2007 from Polsteins Home Goods and More (there is at least one other reviewer that had problems with Polsteins) - the very first snowstorm was about 4-5 inches. The snowthrower worked about 3/4 of the way down the driveway and then stopped working (no signs of a problem). We tried the fuse, a different plug, and calling Snow Joe. The service center recommended that we spray WD-40 into the starter switch housing, wait 20 mins and try again, or try holding the switch in while squeezing the bar. Neither worked. They have now authorized a return to their service center and they will repair or replace it free of charge. For the 20 minutes or so when it worked, we were impressed with how it worked. Now we have to hope it doesn't snow again before it is fixed.

Update - Snow Joe has now told me 4 times that they are sending me an email to have the snow blower returned. I the 2 and a half weeks since I first spoke to them, the email still has not come, and the toll free number they provide is an endless loop of nothing that never gets to a customer service rep, and the automatic return call feature to keep your place in line does not work (I have also tried several times over the last 2 weeks and they still have called, so it must be a very long line).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wet vs Dry Snow, December 30, 2007
I have been moving snow for 30 years in Northern Wisconsin, using everything from large gas 2-stage snowthrowers, Garden tractors on down to small electric snowthrowers. My girlfriend needed a small snowblower for her side walks and double wide concrete drive, because of the hassles of starting and maintaining a gas snowblower (and her limited mechanical knowledge) we decided on an electric snowblower. (She handles a vacuum cleaner with a long cord....this seemed no different). We read the reviews on the Toro and Snow Joe and decided on the Snow Joe because of the better quality wheels, easier to reach chute handle and bigger motor (plus it was cheaper). She put it together herself (except for the difficult to tighten small screws on the chute handle). I had to play for awhile to figure out how to start it?...you need to hold in the side start button while you pull back on the handle to start the machine. (not real clear in the directions).....The first night we had 4" of fresh snow and it moved all the snow as easy as vacuuming, right down to the concrete...(it really only throws average snow 5'-10'). There was some old snow that was hard packed along the driveway and the drive belt kept squealing each time I plowed into the old snow.....we salted the remaining hard snow on the driveway (packed from driving on it) and tried clearing the wet snow the next night....and this machine did not like it at all! The drive belt squealed ALOT!.....(also note that NO snowblower of any size likes wet snow....no small gas powered snowblower I have ever used likes wet snow either)...so we had to hand shovel that stuff.....Lesson learned is: GET AT THE SNOW WHILE ITS SNOWING..don't wait to try to clear it after it has hardened or becomes slushy... and make sure you move the snow that the snowplow pushes in at the end of the driveway RIGHT AWAY...this machine does not like HARD PACK...(that snow left from the snowplow that has salt and sand in it). But in my experience this is a very well built and easy to use snowblower for handling fresh dry snow. In 15 minutes I did what used to take 2 hours hand shoveling.
UPDATE: 01/01/2008 (Try spraying the plastic behind the Blades and the inside of the chute with a vinyl/plastic protectant such as "Armor All"..this slick spray keeps the snow from sticking and helps the snow throw farther, plus it keeps the unit looking shiny and new). A winding garden hose real made winding up the cord much easier each time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, August 20, 2009
Save your money. This is a poor product that will cause you grief. After receiving I set about to assemble. The electrical wire comes up the right hand side and attaches to the upper handle. However it was two inches too short. Tried calling SnoJoe, left message (I'm still waiting eight months later). I'm mechanical. I removed a side cover and could see the problem. During factory assembly the wire had been misrouted in the housing and was bound up. I removed the rear housing, and reroute the wire. (Unless you have a pretty good selection of tools, this won't be possible.) Finished the assembly. I was "excited" to see the blades spin. Attach cord, push the interlock button, pull the handle - nothing. Use a tracer (ticker) and find out that the master switch at the handle isn't switching. Take that apart. Snap it 10-15 times and now it seems to work, but the blade still won't turn. Trace wire down into rear housing, remove housing again. More tracing. The motor has a thermal limiter mounted to it that protects the motor from overheating. One crimped on terminal isn't crimped. I solder the wire to the terminal. Leave rear cover off (for testing, - I learned), plug it in, pull the trigger and we have motion. Seems okay.

In the snow the best I could do is with about 5-6 inches of moderately heavy snow. Discharge about 10 feet if the angle of the discharge nozzle is roughly straight ahead. I have to go over the area at least twice because nearly as much snow is thrown out the front of the machine as goes out the shoot. The discharge nozzle clogs frequently. If I try to take a full width path of snow, it is too much for the machine. In a heavier (10") snow I had to take no more than 2-3 inches of width or the machine bogs down and the belt starts slipping.

After a couple of weeks between storms, I get it out again to try once more. Turn it on and a crackling (electric arcing) is heard. Take off side cover, brush is stuck. Remove rear housing (I'm getting pretty good at taking it off) unstick brush, clean up commutator, reassemble and have basically the same issues as before. Poor performance.

BTW - I use a very heavy (12 gauge) extension cord, so plenty of amps are getting to the machine.

I had similar problems 2 more times before I got fed up. It was end of season discounts time at local big box store, and I bought a Toro 2 stroke. I had the opportunity to use it on the last snow storm of the season. What a difference! I was throwing the snow the full distance of my driveway (about 30 feet). No, or little discharge from the front. Clogging of the nozzle is much less.

In the final analysis, I would suggest you look elsewhere unless you have minimal snow fall. Be sure to use a minimum 14 ga extension cord (12 would be better). Don't expect too much and perhaps you'll be doing okay. If you need assistance from SnoJoe = = don't hold your breath.

1.0 out of 5 stars Underpowered underperforming snow thrower, January 19, 2009
I live in CT and we get a fair amount of snow. I bought this snow thrower last winter. The specs say it moves 800 pounds of snow a minute and can throw it 20 feet. That's not how mine performs. If it throws powdery snow 3 feet, that would be a good day. We just had 5 inches of powdery snow last night and I finally gave up and just shoveled it. Because it hardly throws the snow any distance at all, you wind up dumping snow on areas you have already cleared and having to go back over them again and again. If the snow is even the littlest bit moist, it barely throws it a foot and smells like burning rubber (probably the belt) while you use it. There is no way this moves 800 pounds of snow a minute. The chute that you can move around to direct the snow needs work. You can point the chute that directs the tossed snow in a general direction, but if you try to point it downward at all or even straight off to the side, as soon as the snow starts coming out, it pushes the chute straight back up in the air, and this probably has a lot to do with why it doesn't throw the snow very far. There are a couple of locking wheels you can tighten when you adjust the angle of the chute, but even if you really tighten them down, they loosen up almost immediately. I live in a townhouse and have a short driveway (about 25 feet), so this seemed the perfect solution. Every time I pull this machine out, I am disappointed all over again. There is no way you can use this to move the snow at the curb that the plows toss up, even if you break it down into small piles with a shovel first. The machine squeals and smells like buring rubber. I gave away a smaller electric Toro when I got this, and I'm sorry that I did. It was a much better machine. Save youself the money and don't buy this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm returning mine...., December 15, 2007
Jimbo (Waterville, Maine) - See all my reviews
I used this product for the first time under ideal snow conditions (5" of powder). I have a small deck (8' by 12') and it barely had the power to get the snow off the deck. I had to make 2 passes. It also did not shut off when the handle was released. I had to unplug it to get it to stop. Needless to say, I am returning it. I bought it after reading the great reviews here. I suspect mine was defective, but I will not replace it with another.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, November 29, 2007
SnowJoe 19-Inch 13.5 Amp Electric Snow Thrower #622

What an amazing device. It's a light weight (NON GAS!!!!) machine that cleared my property and my neighbors property all in less then an hour! It felt like I was vacuuming. Hello? No more backaches!!! There will only be two people who wont like this gadget; your chiropractor and the neighborhood kids who get paid to shovel snow!!! I'm buying one for my parents so they don't call my husband to come over and shovel!(What a life saver)
AAAAA+++ Does the job of a pricey gas thrower!

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, November 14, 2007
Great machine! Cleared the pathway, sidewalk and driveway with no effort at all... Very pleased!

1.0 out of 5 stars buy a toro. snow joe blows and i don't mean snow., December 24, 2008
this is a real p.o.s. used the snow joe twice and it stopped working. aside from the clogging others have reported, the drive belt was shredded after these two light uses.
called customer service and was informed that belts are considered wear and tear and not covered by the warranty.
i took my complaint up a level to the parts manager and he agreed to send me a belt n/c this one time. we'll see what the next two uses bring.
had a toro for 19 years w/o a problem. took a chance on the snowjoe. big mistake and a waste of money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good so far, recommend 12 guage extension cord, January 2, 2008
J. Sweeney (Harvard, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Initial quality was not good. When I first plugged in the extension cord, the prongs on the snow-joe didn't engage with the extension cord. I had to take apart the switch mechanism and screw in the plug holder. It was just not assembled correctly at the factory.

I used it on a 3 inch snowfall, and it actually worked pretty well. I initially started by using a 14 gauge 100 foot long extension cord, and I could tell it wasn't getting enough power from the wall socket to the snowblower. When I tried a 12 gauge 100 foot cord, it worked fine.

It does not throw sideways very well, only 4-5 feet, but when I pointed the chute straight ahead, it threw the snow 10-15 feet. That works OK for my driveway as I can choose a pattern such that I'm always pointing forward, and it also makes it easy to manage the cord.

I'll update after some more snow storms.