5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and well written rewrite of a fairy tale.
Published on August 25, 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but not her best
Published on July 2, 2000 by Abigail Welborn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and well written rewrite of a fairy tale., August 25, 1998
By A Customer
I found myself absorbed in Wrede's book from the first page. Snow White and Rose Red is full of mystery, romance, intrigue, magic, and wit. The setting was perfect for the retelling of the fairy tale and Wrede was successful in capturing the language and events of that England period. Wrede was very effective in creatively developing the original fairy tale without losing the original story in the process. I highly recommend Snow White and Rose Red to anyone who enjoys fairy tales or fantasy novels. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting!, May 6, 1999
By A Customer
Three things I really love are blended together in this well-crafted fantasy: the fairy tale "Snow White and Rose Red," alternate fantasy worlds, and the Elizabethan era. Wrede does an excellent job of rounding out the rather uneven original fairy tale with likeable characters and a plausible plot. The depiction of Faerie court and magic is also crafted intricately and well. The use of Elizabethan English is convincing and rings true, although some readers may be irked by the copious usage of "thee," "thou" and "dost." All in all, extremely well told and convincing. Definitely one of my all-time favorite books. For more good alternate Elizabethan fantasy, try Stevermer's The Serpent's Egg.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but not her best, July 2, 2000
I admit that I know Patricia C. Wrede from her Enchanted Forest Chronicles and "Book of Enchantments," which are for young adults and usually supposed to be humorous, neither of which applies to "Snow White and Rose Red." But I have glimpsed her ability to be a serious writer in such short stories as "Earthwitch" and "Stronger Than Time" (in "BoE"), and this is not Wrede at her best.
Granted, the book is involving. I read far later into the night than I had planned. The plot is engaging and understandable, and the characters likable enough (well, the ones who were supposed to be likable, anyway). Wrede also does a good job of adapting the fairy tale and giving characters motivation.
The problems arose after I had finished the book. I felt that the character we got to know best was John, the older Faerie prince, and not Blanche or Rosamund, the supposed main characters. In fact, I felt that the sisters, despite their supposedly different personalities, were indistinguishable; Wrede never really gave either one their own point of view. And why did they look like they were 30 on the cover, when in the book they are 16 and 18? I also wish I knew more about the Widow Arden -- Wrede could have expanded on her background just a little bit more and given us a much more complete understanding of her character. Why did she fear being accused of witchcraft so much? (Yes, yes, she didn't want to be hanged. But her dread was so deep-seated. Had she seen someone hanged when she was young? Had her mother instilled it in her?) Who was her husband? What was his downfall? Why had it left them in ruins? The rules of magic were also hard to follow. Faerie magic was clarified well (in some ways it was the most intriguing part of the story), but not "mortal magic." Why did incantations work? Why were herbs sometimes magic and sometimes not? How did their potions work? The structure of the book was confusing at the beginning. We are barraged with five different viewpoints in the first chapter! The world and characters aren't familiar enough yet for that. Later on they are handled better. Finally, the Elizabethan English, while correct, was still distracting. Yes, it put me in the world of the characters; but then Wrede's modern English narration yanked me back out again. When the reader is constantly reminded of the words s/he's reading instead of the story, it's not very smooth.
For a better example of handling two cultures, multiple viewpoints, and a new twist on an old fairy tale, read Orson Scott Card's "Enchantment."

3.0 out of 5 stars Please, re-release this book!, August 25, 2001
Nicole Alger "imanoonle" (Belmont, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I was curious about this book, since I loved the Enchanted Forest Chronicles so much, and also because I had read Jane Yolen's Briar Rose, another book from the Fairy Tale series. Finally, after frantic searching online to buy it (where the cheapest copy of this book I could find was an expensive poor copy of the book, and I don't really like spending lots of money on paperbacks), I found this book in my local library, and read it. It wasn't as good as Dealing with Dragons or the other books that I have read by Patricia C. Wrede, but it was still good. I had never heard the fairy tale of Snow White AND Rose Red, so I was a little confused (I was thinking that it would be like the Disney movie of Snow White). Wrede summarized the true fairy tale bit by bit before each chapter. It wasn't really a modern-day telling of the fairy tale, like Briar Rose was, but just a retelling. Wrede tried to use archaic language (lots of thee's and thou's), and that slowed down the story. That is my only complaint about the book. I am hoping that eventually this book will be rereleased so I can add it to my collection of the Fairy Tale Series, or maybe that I'll find a copy of it used for cheap, but I'm glad I read it. It wasn't as good as I hoped, but it was still okay. If you want a better Wrede book, read the Enchanted Forest Chronicles, or try reading Briar Rose by Jane Yolen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, don't like style, June 21, 2011
This review is from: Snow White and Rose Red (Paperback)
I absolutely love fairy tale adaptations. I was excited to get this one. But I almost put it down when I began reading it because of the language. Patricia chose to make her language old-style. I understand why she did it but I think it is a distraction rather than a help to the book.

Other than that, the story is a great take on the traditional tale -- better really. There's no grumpy dwarf. He's replaced by a sinister human (kind of). The brothers are great characters.

Once I got past the language I enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful retelling of a classic fairytale, June 6, 2009
This review is from: Snow White and Rose Red (Paperback)
This is my absolute favorite fairy tale retelling, and has been a cherished treasure in my library for many years. For a long time this book has been out of print, much to my dismay. Now it has finally been reissued. This novel tells the story of Snow White and Rose Red, in this tale called Blanche and Rosamund. They find themselves involved in a plot concerning the two princes of faerie and some interesting characters who are trying to get rid of the younger prince, because he is half human. But something goes wrong-the older prince is affected by their spell instead. Now it is up to the younger prince to go into the world of men and seek out a cure. He meets Rosamund and Blanche, who will help him on his quest. Woven into this story are the colorful characters of John Dee (Queen Elizabeth's astrologer) and his apprentice Ned Kelly, who are looking for answers to solve the occult questions they study. All of these characters make for a fascinating story filled with magic, romance, adventure and intrigue. A must have for any fairy tale lover.

4.0 out of 5 stars Snow White and Rose Red, March 12, 2002
"starla176" (CA United States) - See all my reviews
I had this book when I was a kid, and I loved it. I enjoyed the spin that this story put on the original fairy tale. I seem to remember another book that was a collection of fairy tale stories with the same type of concept. I recommend this book and, if you can find it, the collection to anyone with a child and to anyone who just wants to relive their favorite fairy tales with a twist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Snow White and Rose Red, December 12, 2009
This review is from: Snow White and Rose Red (Paperback)
Ever since I was a young girl, Snow White has always been my favorite "Princess" character. Although I grew up on the Disney version of Snow White, I'd read the original Grimm's Fairy Tale a few times as a teenager and liked that story as well.

Patricia Wrede approaches Snow White and Rose Red with an interesting twist on the story. Each chapter begins with a portion of the original tale, but rather than the story being disjointed and hard to understand, she smooths it out and provides a very cohesive, very magical story.

Snow White and Rose Red are the daughters of the Widow Arden. They meet and become involved in the saving of Hugh, a faerie prince, and through this meet his brother, John. There are evil wizards to complete the tale and the dark overtone of accusations of witchcraft color the story, which was set in Elizabethan England. The only difficult part of the book was the spoken language.

While the author did a great job with her "thee's" and "thou's", it makes for some hard reading, and can seem somewhat clunky at first. After finishing the book though, my opinion is that it added to the magical feel and just provided some depth to the story that would not have been there had the characters spoken modern-day English. A very fun read and recommended to anyone who enjoys a good fairy tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite fairy tale brought back to life!, October 16, 2009
This review is from: Snow White and Rose Red (Paperback)
I found this book early this summer. I was immediately intrigued because Snow White and Rose Red was one of my favorite fairy tales growing up. The cover was pretty, it actually had a write-up on the back cover instead of a list of one line reviews, but I almost put it down when I started reading the first few pages. I loved that the author took pains to write the story in Elizabethan English, it gives the story charm and enhances the setting (Elizabethan England). The problem, for me, was that the first page and a good deal of the second was all description! To me, it came across as stuffy and literary, which I suppose makes it true to Elizabethan style.

I got the book anyway, and I'm glad I did. Like I said, it is written in Elizabethan English, but don't let that scare you, it is not over done. She starts every chapter with a quote from the original story, even when her story differs from the original, which I love! Just a good book, nice story, I only wish she would have given the characters a little more time to breathe after the resolution so you could revel in the happy ending just a little longer before it's over. I liked feeling like I was reading an older book, I love classics and Dickens/Austen type language and that is what it felt like, just a little more easily readable.

5.0 out of 5 stars The intellect's fairy tale, October 14, 2005
I myself have not read any of Wrede's other ouvre, but I first read this novel when I was a sophmore in college. The story was engaging, although I wasn't certain about the diction at times. The presentation kept me hooked and open a new interest for me. My old copy is battered and worn, but I hope the book will be released again so that I may replace my beloved copy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Snow White and Rose Red
Snow White and Rose Red by Patricia C. Wrede (Paperback - February 19, 2009)
$8.99 $7.62