5.0 out of 5 stars Creative Fun
Published on January 27, 2000 by Jane

3.0 out of 5 stars beautiful pictures, difficult to find a story
I love the graphic photo aspects of these illustrations! I bought it to use for labeling objects, and there are many used to make these snowpeople and animals. Unfortunately, most objects were beyond the experience of the preschoolers that were my target population for this book. Nevertheless, it is a very attractive book, may work for an older audience, although not...
Published 7 months ago by Annie Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative Fun, January 27, 2000
Jane (Aurora Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snowballs (Hardcover)
I'm a speech therapist with a prekindergarten at risk program. After reading this book with the children we made our own "snowballs" book. I've never seen 3 and 4 year olds maintain their attention to an activity for so long. We made our own snowmen with three large white circles, put them on the floor and the children could choose any items from our classroonm to make any kind of snowmen they could think of. We then photographed them with their snowmen and put the photos into a book. They were unbelievably creative. Since the activity did not require cutting and glueing it was easy for the children to manipulate and change things as their snowmen "came to life". Some of them used ideas from the book and "modified" a little. The language they expressed while creating was unbelievable! This book is such an excellent resource and motivation for parents in using those "junk" items around the house to help children be creative, and to encourage a natural relaxed way to enhance language development. The book is very engaging for young children. The language is short and simple and the pictures bright and interesting. I liked it so much I ordered one for my niece.

4.0 out of 5 stars Snowball o' fun, July 12, 2004
This review is from: Snowballs (Paperback)
You walk into your first encounter with "Snowballs" with the vague sense that this is going to be yet another winter picture book containing figures made out of cut paper. And though you are well aware of Ezra Jack Keats's "The Snowy Day", you decide to give Lois Ehlert's book a go anyway. You're hoping you'll end up pleasantly surprised by what you may find. And you're in luck. You are.

In this tale of wintertime bird feeding, the author first poses a hypothetical question: "Do you think birds know when it's going to snow?". As if in answer, we view a pair of cardinals, one male and one female, as they devour some seeds. With the fall of a new snow, it's time to make some snow creatures. In a surprising two page spread we see a brown paper sack and plastic bags full of stuff. The author says that this is "good stuff" saved for this very occasion. The rest of the book then displays snowmen, women, children, pets, etc. made out of everything from strawberries to orange plastic fish. Almost every snow person has something in their make up that is delicious to the wild birds, and occasionally a brave birdy will fly into the picture to nibble on a sunflower seed necklace or munch on a popcorn laden body. At the back of the book are actual size photographs against a white background displaying objects that were featured in the snowmen's bodies earlier. Kids reading the book will enjoy trying to find the page that presented the Guatemalan purse or the Thai applique heart. Finally, the reader can find out more about snow itself. Two pages full of snowman photos (all goofy in their own different ways) surround a section entitled, "What makes it snow?". And for those of you that are lucky enough to be reading a hardcover edition of this tale, a recipe for popcorn balls appears on the back book flap.

Admittedly, when you get right down to it, this book is just a paper cut out book after all. But Ehlert has taken the liberty of combining your normal run-of-the-mill paper images with life sized photographs of certain objects. If you look on the cover, you'll see that the bird sitting on the snowman's head is all paper while the piece of popcorn it holds in its beak is a photograph. The result is fairly seamless. We can assume that some Photoshopping has been done here since a couple of these photographed items occasionally cast shadows on their snowpeople. This is a fairly well put together little book. It's difficult to combine stories where fun hunt and peck tales are combined with scientific facts. I'm almost tempted to categorize this book as non-fiction for all its interesting information. Even a quick glance at the back cover consists of thirteen newspaper accounts of snowy weather.

In a way, this book is like an educational "Where's Waldo?". Kids reading it will probably have more fun trying to find the objects listed in the back of the book than they will reading about water droplets and the process of evaporation. Just the same, any book that sneaks a little science into the average child's diet is a-okay by me. You may not find much in the way of plot in this item, but there?s enough originality and fun packed in "Snowballs" to keep the doldrums away.

5.0 out of 5 stars gherring, February 11, 2000
This review is from: Snowballs (Hardcover)
My 4 year old son loves this book. We first learned of the book in his preschool. He came home one day and talked about this book all afternoon. The next day we checked it out at the library and liked it a lot. The book is very creative and colorful which captures a young child's attention. There are so many different items that we could identify and learn. My son wants me to read this book many times throughout the day and frequently asks when it is going to snow. This is a great book by Lois Ehlert.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read-aloud book!, February 18, 2006
H. M. Panagos "reader" (Southeastern Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snowballs (Paperback)
This is an excellent book for reading aloud, especially to a group of toddlers! It's light and easy to hold. The text is large and clear. There is a nice rhythm to the simple and concise sentences. The colorful collage illustrations are almost all double-page vertical, easy to see from a distance, and consist of objects children will be anxious to point out and identify. At the end of this simple story about building a snowman there is a section that pictures and identifies the items used in the collages: buttons, fabrics, fruits, buttons, etc. It's perfect for a game of: "where can you find this [bell] in the story?" "How many of these [seeds] can you find?", and perfect as a springboard for a snowman craft using items from your own sack of 'good stuff'. There is also an explanation of snow with photographs of real snowmen, and directions for making popcorn balls. This book is fun to read and look at, well worth reading over and over.

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful children's picture book., July 22, 1999
This review is from: Snowballs (Hardcover)
The masterful use of vivid colors and an interesting theme in Snowballs will surely draw any child's attention. The following everyday items: coffee beans, bottle caps, foil candy wrappers, and corn are all used to colorfully illustrate the components of a more realistic snow family. The picture book will inspire your children to go outside and make a snow person, instead of plopping down in front of the old TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful and beautiful view of snowmen and winter, January 7, 1999
This review is from: Snowballs (Hardcover)
A visually outstanding picture book showing how all natural paraphenalia (buttons, ribbons, toy wheels, seeds, etc.) are used in the art of making a snow dad, mom, boy, girl, baby, cat and dog. Children become aware of the art of collage and the creativity involved in nature things. The book is complete with facts of winter, snow and then actual photographs of various snowmen made by children. As always, a Lois Ehlert masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful story with lots of imagination, January 9, 2012
This review is from: Snowballs (Hardcover)
I use this book every year in January in my kindergarten classroom. We do a family project where we create and decorate a paper snowman. This can be a difficult assignment for our Florida born children who have never experienced snow! This book is a great tool to help children vicariously experience building a snowman. The illustrations in this book are beautiful. The book is used both horizontally and vertically. It is an asset to any classroom, especially for a winter study unit!

4.0 out of 5 stars Family Fun in the Snow, December 31, 2007
This review is from: Snowballs (Paperback)
Children's books seem like they are a dime a dozen. I paid no attention to children's books in the past, but with my two little girls, I notice them more than before, and one thing I have quickly discovered is that, in many instances, there is very little to distinguish one from the other. This is why I am ever so grateful when I discover a book that has something unique to offer. And Snowballs is certainly one such book; offering illustrations and dialogue that sets it apart from other children's books.

Many things about this book make it worthwhile and one of the things I like is the creative dialogue. There aren't a large number of words, no. But I like the way the author starts out talking about birds and how they are often very scarce when snow starts to fall. This may not seem like a big deal, but it shows that this author wanted to make the book a little more creative than the usual children's book.

The words in this book are kept to a minimum, like they are in most children's books, but they are still effective and they state just enough to hold the attention of most youngsters. However, the best aspect of this book isn't the words- it's the drawings. What makes the illustrations so different from other children's books isn't necessarily the colorfulness of the illustrations, although the colors are memorable. What makes the pictures stand out in a crowd is the fact that they combine real pictures with drawings. For example, in the opening pages when the book is talking about birds, it is depicting pieces of popcorn, peanuts, bird seed, etc., in actual photos- not just drawings. These are superimposed on top of drawings of the snow family. Even the snow family shows actual items, like scarves, bows, leaves, twigs, and other things, giving the pictures a very realistic appearance.

Overall, Snowballs is a very good children's book about snowfall and family. We won't be seeing any of the white, fluffy flakes falling from the sky in my neck of the woods (Gulf Coast). But we will be enjoying books like Snowballs- books that enthrall children with their well- illustrated pages and their emphasis on family.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK TO BRING ATTENTION TO THE DETAIL OF A SNOWY DAY!, June 1, 2014
This review is from: Snowballs (Paperback)
WHEN YOU THINK OF A SNOWY DAY, WHAT DO YOU THINK OF...SNOW? SNOWMAN? HOT CHOCOLATE? WELL, LOOK CLOSER THERE ARE THINGS ON A SNOWY DAY THAT WE DO NOT NOTICE. THIS BOOK DEALS WITH THE CREATIVE ASPECT OF A SNOWY DAY! I RECOMMEND IT TO PRESCHOOLS AND TEACHERS WHO WANT THEIR CHILDREN TO GET A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE OF A SNOWY DAY!

2.0 out of 5 stars Miniature version??, March 23, 2014
This review is from: Snowballs (Board book)
Maybe I didn't read the fine print but I was expecting to receive the miniature version of this book. I thought I was ordering the full sized book. The book was in fine shape, just a little disappointing.

Snowballs
Snowballs by Lois Ehlert (Paperback - August 30, 1999)
$7.00 $6.30