4.0 out of 5 stars A fun, romantic novel
Published on May 3, 2011 by The Compulsive Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked it well enough
I liked this well enough. I don't know if I really liked the writing style it was written with though. It didn't really seem to flow, instead it cut off and changed scenes. I liked the premise of the story, but as I read, it didn't really wow me too much like I thought it might. But still a good read.

Brooke moving to NYC because of a boy seemed a bit dramatic,...
Published on May 26, 2011 by Aimee

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun, romantic novel, May 3, 2011
This review is from: So Much Closer (Hardcover)
Brooke has had a crush on Scott Abrams forever, but he barely knows she exists. When she finally gets up the courage to tell him how she feels, she's shocked to discover that his family is moving from their New Jersey suburb to New York City. Brooke is devastated--until she comes up with the perfect solution. She'll move in with her dad, who lives in the city, for senior year and track Scott down. And her plan works perfectly--she's practically Scott's neighbor in New York--until she discovers that Scott has wasted no time in getting himself a girlfriend in their new neighborhood. But luckily for Brooke, the city is packed with opportunities and she's not about to give up on having the year of her life.

So Much Closer is a fun, romantic, and endearing novel with a terrific setting. Colasanti describes New York vividly, with an eye for the unexpected details that really make the Brooke's neighborhood come to life with energy, and invites the reader right in. Brooke is a very dynamic narrator, and her narrative is very fun, relatable, and authentic. She's naturally smart and talented, but she's never been pushed to do well or pursue academic goals, which is frustrating to those around her. She's full of contempt for the school systems she has been through, but when she gets to the city, becomes friends with John (a cute guy who is driven but struggles academically), is pushed by good teachers, and inspired by her environment, she begins to grow and realize her foolishness in wasting her talents. This is a great coming-of-age story as Brooke not only finds Scott and figures out what it's like to get what you want and discover that maybe it's not all that you has hoped, but as she also deals with her parents' divorce and her feelings about it and finds her passion in life. So Much Closer is an unexpected, funny, and real novel that is charged with energy and life. Once again, Colasanti doesn't disappoint.

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked it well enough, May 26, 2011
Aimee "Coffee Table Reviews" (GREEN RIVER, WY, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: So Much Closer (Hardcover)

Brooke moving to NYC because of a boy seemed a bit dramatic, but I like to think that it was her opportunity to go somewhere she's always wanted to live and to really have a chance to find herself. I kept cringing when she talked about telling Scott why she moved and how they were meant to be together. I realize we all thought we were meant to be with someone in high school, but I still cringed and hoped she wouldn't completely embarrass herself with it.

I didn't really care for John and first. Brooke tutors John and he seems a little spazzy. It took a while for me to realize while he may be hyperactive, he isn't some immature guy who just seems to get annoying at time. By the end, I was liking this character more than I thought I would.

I was glad that Brooke was able to find out what she wants to do with her life. While I did like this story, it still wasn't anything amazing. I'd still recommend it once the price comes down. Not worth the $11 though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, December 26, 2012
This review is from: So Much Closer (Kindle Edition)
This is one of my favourite books ever my top 3 are all written by Suzan. It's basicly about a girl who likes this guy who doesn't even no she existed well he is has to move to New York SO that's what she does since her dad lives there. When she finally builds up the courage to tell him how she feels they end up in a relationship but then she realizes it's going no where what happens in this terrific book is for u to find out!<3

3.0 out of 5 stars Hobbitsies Reviews: Quick, fun book with a psycho stalker main character, September 13, 2011
This review is from: So Much Closer (Hardcover)
Alright. Let me just say this straight up - So Much Closer has a very, very creepy premise. Like, crazy psycho main character premise. But it's supposed to be in a light-hearted way, I guess.

And Brooke certainly follows through with the crazy. I mean, this girl is a STALKER. What high school girl moves to a whole new city to follow a guy she's spoken to ONCE in two years? A STALKER, that's what kind of girl. And the weirdest thing was - nobody batted an eye. No one commented on how creepy or psycho she was!

And even though I was so creeped out and annoyed with Brooke for being a stalker, I could not put So Much Closer down! I just flew through it over the course of one day.

Brooke - she annoyed me, clearly. I mean, she definitely had some issues from her messed up home-life. And she was angry and bitter and freaking nutso. But she kind of grew on me? And I really, really liked the characters of John and Sadie, and their stories. I never understood the appeal of Scott or Brooke's friends from New Jersey.

There was a lot of message pushing at the end - do your homework, go to college, make good decisions, etc. which grated on my nerves a bit, but I definitely glad Brooke was finally starting to figure everything out.

Overall, I did enjoy So Much Closer. It was a fun and quick read. But I will tell you - if I ever met Brooke, I might have slapped her! If you're looking for a light contemporary with WTFs and giggles aplenty, be sure to check out So Much Closer.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish it was less creepy, August 17, 2011
This review is from: So Much Closer (Hardcover)
I've read all of Susane Colasanti's books, and no matter what issues I have with any of them, they always provide a fun reading experience. However, before reading this one, I was not entirely sure I'd even enjoy it. The premise is just so creepy, and because I knew Brooke would be narrating I was a bit alarmed that I would have to read about her seeing nothing wrong with following this guy to New York City. Despite the creepy, though, I still enjoyed the novel, but mainly for a few supporting characters and how light and breezy a read it is.

I have to devote a while to the whole creep factor in this book. Following someone to a new city is just inherently shady, but because Brooke only spoke to Scott, like, twice before moving, it's even worse. I mean, if they were friends before maybe I would be more on board with this idea, or at least I'd understand why she was so obsessed with him. I was not buying that she just "knew" they were destined to be together. I'm even confused that she would just think this, since she's supposed to be a genius of sorts. Their relationship, or lack thereof, in the beginning is based on absolutely nothing. I never even understood Scott's appeal once the pair finally began to get to know each other; he was a bit dull and their relationship progressed so quickly that I just didn't have time to see his appeal.

There were a lot of people I didn't see the appeal in, unfortunately. Brooke's friends from back home, her supposed "best friends," practically disappear. I understand the idea of growing apart because of the move, but the girls appeared so little that they didn't do much at all. Similarly, Brooke's divorced mom and dad appeared so little that they weren't terribly significant. I liked the idea of Brooke trying to come to terms with their divorce during this journey of self-discovery, but because of how little they appear, that couldn't readily occur. Luckily, there are a few saviors in this book: John and Sadie, whom Brooke meets in New York City. Sadie and Brooke are a very fun pair, and I loved seeing Brooke finally find a true friend that she could go on fun adventures with. John is even better, though, because of how bright and happy a person he is. His humor, optimism, and just general happiness made this book insanely fun to read, and I only wish he could have been there more.

So Much Closer could have used much more development, mainly to make the whole premise less creepy, but it was still at the very least a light and fun read. However, if you're going to go for a Colasanti novel, I'd say go for When It Happens.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Much Closer, June 27, 2011
This review is from: So Much Closer (Hardcover)
I love Susane Colasanti's books, as I've mentioned in previous reviews. It is so evident through her writing that she has worked with teens and really understands them. The characters she creates are realistic and complex, rather than shallow caricatures. Having read her blog, this book reads as the epitome of all that she is. Set against a New York backdrop, filled with cute teen romance and more references to The Office than you've ever seen in a book before, So Much Closer is sure to satisfy your need for fluffy romance accompanied by a journey of self-discovery. Colasanti's books are mature and subtly complex. You can read them as simple love stories if that's what you're in the mood for, but there's so much more hidden under the surface. Though on the surface, it might seem like this is a book about a girl moving to New York City chasing the boy of her dreams, beneath that, it's about a girl learning to accept who she is and all that has made her that way.

Rating: 5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy is what happens when all your dreams come true... well, isn't it?, May 29, 2011
This review is from: So Much Closer (Hardcover)
So Much Closer has an excellent premise, and those too apprehensive to pursue someone they love across state lines will enjoy living vicariously through Brooke, who takes a huge risk to make her dreams come true, only to realize that the fantasy may have been better than the reality. Colasanti's novel tackles themes like the idea of a person versus the actual person, rebelling against a system (in this case, school) versus using the system to one's advantage, and relocating for one reason, only to discover a more compelling reason later. Brooke is trying to figure out who she is and what she wants in every area of her life - romance, school, career, friends, and location.

The ups and downs as Brooke gets to know Scott in New York City keep the pages turning. There are moments of horrified embarrassment and 'movie moments' in which everything seems to come together. Although I was not entirely convinced by the ending, and wanted it to grab me in the way the first sentence did ("Today I'm telling Scott Abrams that I'm in love with him"), the novel as a whole stands up well, and covers all different relationships in Brooke's life, from love interests to friends to parents to teachers, demonstrating how each person has an impact on her growth and development as a person about to graduate from high school. Meanwhile, Brooke makes her own impact on others without realizing it, in both positive and negative ways.

This book describes New York City in a fun, refreshing manner, as if the reader had her own personal tour guide. Rather than focusing on the famous sights, So Much Closer points out the special aspects in different neighborhoods of the city that the locals enjoy, such as the High Line, quirky coffee shops, classic cobblestone New York streets, movies in the park, and a Zen garden. The city energy is present in the novel, and it's easy to understand why Brooke's move to New York is helping her come into her own. This would be a great book to read in August, right before a new school year begins.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun, Delightful, Romantic Read, May 17, 2011
This review is from: So Much Closer (Hardcover)
So Much Closer is such a fun, fast paced, delightful read. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Brooke and being reminded of that stage in life where you feel the pressure of trying to figure out what you want to be. Yep, I'm talking the end of high school where you have the pressure to get good grades, figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life, while trying to figure out who are. It's Brooke's journey in finding out who she is that I liked.

I admire the fact Brooke up and leaves the New Jersey town she grew up in to follow the guy of her dreams to New York City, though I also find it just a little weird and obsessive. Having a father her lives there, Brooke was able to do something I never would have had the guts to do, nor would I have done that for a boy while in high school, let alone for someone I barely said more than a few words to. For Brooke, she felt it was the right thing for her to do. It's through her adventures in NYC that she comes to realize a lot about herself, the choices she made and the consequences to those choices. She has a strained relationship with her Mom back in NJ and is trying to build a relationship with the dad who left her mom years before. She looses friends along the way, makes new friends, realizes how narrow minded she was at one point and really gets to grow into the person she wants to become.

I really like the character Brooke grows into. She discovers herself in a city she grows to love. She makes new friends who not only see the potential she has that she herself doesn't see, but they help her realize she can become that person. She spent so much time chasing after the guy she moved to NYC for, that she lost focused on what was going on around her. I was intrigued with the way Susane wrote Scott and John. When Scott and Brooke are together there was nothing else talked about, but them. Brooke lost her focus on everything else and wanted Scott. Then there's my favorite, John. He's that friend we all want, and he also happens to be the other love interest who Brooke tutors. He shows Brooke around NYC and he's the one who teaches her to look up and to look around her. When she's with him she notices all the little details that are happening around them, and around NYC. John opens her eyes and with Scott her eyes are half closed. I loved the contrast between Scott and John.

I enjoyed So Much Closer, and I loved feeling like I was apart of NYC though I've never been. Susane really brought the setting to life and I loved every little detail of it. When I do go to NYC, I'm totally going to Crumbs. After you read the book, you'll know why. If you're looking for a fun, light hearted romance I would recommend picking up So Much Closer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Teen Romance Novel, January 4, 2012
Katie Gallen "Katie" (St. Louis, Missouri, U. S. A.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: So Much Closer (Hardcover)
This book So Much Closer is a about a girl named Brooke. Brooke has had a crush on Scott Abrams forever. Scott does not know it yet. At the Junior picnic Scott tells Brooke that he will not there for senior year because he is moving to New York. Brooke was very upset the news. She could not have this be the last time she sees Scott. Brooke calls her dad who lives in New York and she ask if she could come and live with him for her Senior year. When Brooke arrives in New York things do not go as planned. Brooke finds out that Scott met a girl over the summer and is dating her, her dad is not home every much. Brooke is starting to think that moving to New York was a bad idea. A girl named Sadie in Broke's Math class gets her involved in tutoring. It does turn up when Brooke starts tutoring a boy named John. Brooke tells Scott how she feels. Scott feels the same way. Brooke and Scott date for a while. John and Brooke get along very well. Brooke starts to have feeling for John too. Read the book to see which guy Brooke ends up with. You will be surprised.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could make Susane Colasanti take this book back, November 5, 2011
This review is from: So Much Closer (Hardcover)
I have never given a book 1 star but this book is just asking for it. Here is my main problem with the book: Brooke does this absolutely insane, creepy thing, and nobody around her tells her that it is insane and creepy. In fact, everybody, including Scott the boy she stalked, tells her it is romantic. ROMANTIC. As I read this book, I wanted to reach in and shake her and all of her friends. Were they crazy? This is not normal, acceptable behavior. It frightens me to think that some naive girl out there will pick up this book and have all of her fantasies validated. This book is not completely without any value, the setting of New York City is beautifully used, the prose is nice enough, but all that is overshadowed by this incredibly dangerous thinking.

So Much Closer
So Much Closer by Susane Colasanti (Hardcover - May 3, 2011)
$17.99 $15.28
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies