Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more
Customer Discussions > Ladyhawke forum

So What's Not to Like?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 25, 2007 9:01:06 AM PDT
M.J. says:
Let me count the ways. The transfer (?)-whatever- the MOVIE is too dark very often to see what's going on, there's lots of mumbling so you can't hear what's going, and there's lots of jumps in the dialogue/plot/editing so you can't tell what's going on. Michelle Pfeiffer looks good- when it's not too dark (which isn't very often), Rutger Hauer is an excellent combination of rugged & kinda creepy-cursed- make a darn good knight and some of the chase and/or fight scenes are really well chorographed. But really, this is a mess. And oh, someone take Alan Parsons' synthesizer away from puh-leeeze- far and away theeee most annoying soundtrack of all times. Never has music in a movie been more grating.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 12:57:15 AM PST
Well, to each his own I guess, but I love this movie! The main characters are all bona fide archetypes, which is perhaps a tad self-conscious, but still very effective. The scenery (somewhere in Spain) was amazing, and whatever versions people are watching that are too dark, I have never had that problem. Is it possible that your TV needs to be adjusted for this? Anyway, from beginning (the discussion Phillipe has with himself/God about his escape and humorous musings about his personal failings) to the beautifully choreographed and filmed climax (if I never saw the movie again, I could for rest of my life hear the ringing, echoing hoofsteps as Goliath enters the church!), this movie is a classic and one of those rare live-action films that is interesting enough for adults, and yet suitable for children, at least past the age of six or seven (or maybe a little older if they are prone to nightmares).
I seem to be one of the few who actually loves the soundtrack! I was a pretty big fan of Alan Parsons at the time, and while most of his music sounds dated to me now, for whatever reasons, I still love the music in the movie.
By the way, something that not too many people know: the horse whose screen name is Goliath (real name Othello) (yes I know what a nerd I am!), is of a breed called the Friesian, a Dutch breed of light war-horse used extensively in the early Middle Ages by those knights who could afford them, and nearly extinct at the beginning of the 20th century (there were only three stallions in the breed registry). LadyHawke is considered to be largely responsible for popularizing the horses, and the demand for them was such that in only about a decade, their numbers had increased to a good-sized population. The other horse, the white one whose name I can't find, is a Spanish Andalusion, whose ancestors were at one time crossed with the Friesian to produce the high-stepping, beautifully conformed animal we see today. Andalusians come in many colors; Friesians are always black.
A wonderful film, a wonderful cast (the monk Imperious is stellar!), a wonderful script, and a wonderful story, filled with larger-than-life characters and a curse put down by a bishop of the catholic church, so really, what's not to like? At least if you have a sense of romance...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2014 8:46:10 AM PST
Actually it was filmed in Italy; the alpine meadow of Campo Imperatore-Abruzzo served as a prominent exterior location, while the monk scene was filmed at Rocca Calascio, a ruined fortress on top of a mountain. In the region of Emilia-Romagna, the village of Castell'Arquato in Piacenza and castle of Torrechiara in Parma (the castle of the movie) were also featured. Other Italian locations used include Soncino in the Lombardia region, Belluno in the Veneto region, and the Lazio region around Viterbo.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2014 11:45:07 AM PST
Oops! Thanks for the correction, I was misinformed :{
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Ladyhawke forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Mar 25, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Ladyhawke [VHS]
Ladyhawke [VHS] by Matthew Broderick (VHS Tape - 1998)
4.3 out of 5 stars (708)