Top positive review
17 people found this helpful
Lesson5/ Chapt1: IQ, education, family background, race, religion, & ethnic origin aren't predictive of entrepreneurial success!
on September 21, 2008
What a book. Just wonderful. I've been reading books on business plans and books related to business plans on and off over the past couple of years. I have found a number of adequate books on business plans, but this book (and "The Business Rules" ISBN: 1599180618) both do a pretty good job explaining what you need to know in order to write a great business plan.
Neither book tells you how to write a business plan. However, they are great books to help you polish up the business plan you have already written. If you are interested in preparing a great business plan, or in need of some strategic planning regarding a business plan you have already written, then I highly recommend you get a copy of either or both books and study them.
Included in this book is great content related to what the author claims to be 124 Business Lessons spread over 10 chapters as follows:
1. Can you be a successful entrepreneur? (15 lessons)
2. Basic rules of business success (8 lessons)
3. What is a good business opportunity? (10 lessons)
4. How do you choose the right business customers? (9 lessons)
5. How do you design your product or service? (14 lessons)
6. What is the right price for your product or service? (9 lessons)
7. How can you overcome customer inertia? (9 lessons)
8. How to manage your business (22 lessons)
9. How do you find and keep good employees? (15 lessons)
10. How do you manage growth? (13 lessons)
As you read this book with your business plan in mind I guarantee you will think of many things you have left out of your business plan that should have been included. I also guarantee that you will think of things that you have included in your business plan that should be changed. This book is a goldmine of information you need in order to tweek your business plan so your business will be as successful as possible. And if your business cannot be successful, then this book will have helped you figure that out, too.
The conclusion to the book is basically just a summary of the 124 lessons learned. And it also summarizes "55 Business Rules" the author plants throughout the book that provide great wisdom.
I would have liked the book better if it had included a chapter, some lessons, and business rules regarding marketing. The book is totally lacking when it comes to that subject. But what the book does cover it covers well. 5 stars!