Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2011 3:11:43 PM PST
Jebus says:
Honestly, Name of the Wind, and Wise Man's Fear are easily the best books I have ever read. I know I probably sound like some random fanboy or whatever, but seriously, these books are so engaging its almost dangerous. I literally could not put this book down and finished it in less than a day and a half.
I have never encountered a story whose characters were so real. The only other author that can even come close to getting the author so emotionally invested in my opinion is Robin Hobb. But even then, Ruthfoss' characters/story is so much more interesting, and his writing so much more refined.

Well I am just rambling, but I am curious if anyone else had a similar reaction/feeling towards this series.

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 4:01:28 PM PST
The chapter after Kvothe leaves the Ruh in book 1 is as beautiful as anything I've read in fantasy since Tolkien. And most of book 1 (except the boss fight at the end) was brilliant. The first 600 pages of WMF were brilliant too, but the last 400 pages dragged a bit in parts for me. The whole Ferulian sex-romp thing was just plain silly and went on for much too long. I groaned, and not in a good way, several times during that sequence. Still a dang good book, though.

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 11:38:52 AM PST
Vond says:
I can't help thinking "these are all the same fantasy tropes, why am I roped in" but I think it comes down to near-perfect execution, which is I suppose the result of the years of editing that goes into these books. Even when he's doing something with the story that should be cheesy, the skilled prose seems to overcome any negative feelings I can muster.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2011 10:14:57 PM PST
Joe W says:
"Even when he's doing something with the story that should be cheesy, the skilled prose seems to overcome any negative feelings I can muster."

*nod* I know what you mean. I really feel like the times where people speak in couplets should annoy the crap out of me. But it makes me want recite passages from the book to strangers. Rothfuss is scary.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2011 8:17:03 AM PDT
Heather Myst says:
I know how much I enjoyed this book by how sad I was to see it end. I'm so glad that Martin's Dance With Dragons is coming soon because I am really going to miss Kvothe and I can't wait to see where Rothfuss takes us next.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Mar 10, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions