City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
Used & New from: $25.49
So, how 'bout that plagiarism, eh? Any bets on how many stolen Buffy quotes are gonna be in this?
asked by m on August 8, 2006
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 134 answers
A
Haha any bets on how many flame wars are gonna be in this Amazon forum before the book comes out?
Sally answered on August 9, 2006
Comment | 36 of 89 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Due to the understandable questions people may have towards this novel's legitimacy and legality, I think Cassandra Clare or her publisher would do well to issue some kind of blanket statement that the story has been investigated for instances of plagiarism by an impartial editor. Internet buzz is becoming an important marketing tool, nowadays, and the internet remains polarized on the issue of Cassie Clare.
Calico Kat answered on August 10, 2006
Comment | 69 of 98 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
There's a tremendous difference between fanfiction written several years ago by an amateur author (who, I believe, was also a college student) and mass-market young adult fantasy being put out by a major publishing house. Saying that "the Internet remains polarized" is misleading - it infers that the WHOLE INTERNET is talking about this author, which certainly isn't true. Rather than a huge polarization of people, there's a small group of people are still fighting about something that was over and done with years ago. The rest of the Internet has no idea who she is and more importantly, doesn't care. It was a tempest in a teapot - Ms. Clare has moved on, but it's clear that other people just can't seem to let this juicy topic die.
Henchperson answered on September 23, 2006
Comment | 35 of 92 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Actual, she was never an "amateur author." She was working as a journalist (which also pokes holes in your "college student" theory), and she should have known better.

I personally think that if she had come clean, removed/cited the stolen material, and APOLOGIZED, people would be much more willing to forgive her.

I do agree with you on one point: the internet as a whole has very little interest in CC or her activities with HP. Most people will judge her on the quality of this book.
Sarah Gilman answered on October 6, 2006
Comment | 55 of 74 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I just want to point out that at the end of every chapter she cited the quotes that she used. Therefore it isn't plagiarism
E. Cuprak answered on October 15, 2006
Comment | 18 of 73 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
[Deleted by the author on Oct 15, 2006 12:09:43 PM PDT]

A
Not in the academic sense, no. It verges on copyright infringement, but so does fanfiction in general.

Frankly, I doubt anyone who wasn't involved in Harry Potter fandom cares at ALL. I certainly don't, although I don't know if I'll read the books since I wasn't super-impressed with the writing of hers that I've read.

Incidentally, journalistic ethics and fiction ethics and academic ethics are all completely different and it's not logical to expect a person in one category to necessarily know the rules of the others.
A scholar answered on October 19, 2006
Comment | 15 of 37 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
When the chapter with so much taken from Pamela Dean's book originally was posted, the citation said it was from "The Secret Country" and that CC couldn't quite remember who that had been written by.

It has been changed now, though I believe it might still have the wrong book in Dean's trilogy quoted, but originally the citations were too vague to excuse the line taking.
M. Riley answered on November 9, 2006
Comment | 31 of 35 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'll admit that the first part of her Draco Trilogy is not really a well written story (though I found the plot good enough to keep me reading) and I can hardly stand the quality of her TVSD (though it's funny as hell), but her writing quality has increased dramatically over the past few years and the posting of the second and third stories of the Draco Trilogy. So I hope you do read the book and then judge her writing.

I never understood the point of going after fanfic writers/AMV makers, etc. It's not like they're profiting off of it; they just want to have fun with a work or series they enjoy, right? And they want to share the fun. If it skews the point of the work, then that's one thing, but I'd think most people in the fanfic universe aren't like that and just want to share their view.
Joanna L answered on November 13, 2006
Comment | 14 of 34 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
In this case, it isn't "going after a fanfic writer". The issue isn't that she used JKRowling's characters (especially as most of the people getting annoyed also write HP fic), it's that she used lines and chunks of prose from TV shows and other books.

Contrary to apparently popular belief, the lines were *not* cited. At the beginning and end of the chapter, she would say that she collected quotes and wasn't always sure where they were from, but that she used lines from Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Buffy, &c. To cite, she would have had to point out each unoriginal line and tell which show and which episodes it came from, at the very least.

However, the real trouble came from the passages she took from Pamela Dean (and later, it came to light that she also took chunks of description from The Chronicles of Amber). She had several lines describing action and magical plants which were nearly verbatim from one of Pamela Dean's books. At one point she said that it was from the wrong book, by someone she couldn't remember - which is unlikely, as she would have had to have it open in front of her. She didn't acknowledge any of the Chronicles of Amber lines.
Sinuhe answered on November 22, 2006
Comment | 69 of 75 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   14   Next ›