Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 28, 2006 5:04:06 PM PDT
Iron Arrow says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2006 1:36:21 PM PDT
Shancha says:
It's sad that you feel that way. I for one don't have this book. But when it's released a will pick up a copy for myself and a few others on my Christmas list.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2006 6:47:03 PM PDT
TF says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2006 9:22:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2006 9:35:41 AM PDT
John says:
I think IJHFTF:TDC is probably intended for people who came late to the Good Eats/Food Network party, and for foodies like me who otherwise hadn't yet sprung for the original book (I do own IJHFMF). A lot of popular books get released in second, third, etc. editions, although most usually don't come with extras. I guess I'm just not seeing the subterfuge...

As for double dipping, check out Cook's Illustrated ("New Best Recipe" followed by all the niche books: "Baking Illustrated", "Best American Classics", "Best 30-minute Recipe", "Quick Recipe") or Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" series. Both have a master tome, then each additional book in the series is mostly a rehashed, categorized subset of recipes in the main book with a few new ones thrown in for good measure. Those are cases where the casual buyer might not realize they were buying duplicates over and over (verbatim, in many cases). I don't think that's the case here with IJHFTF:TDC, it seems obvious to me exactly what I'll get for my twenty bucks...

I'll agree that I would like to see AB put out new, original work outside of Good Eats and Feasting on Asphalt.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2006 12:57:09 PM PDT
S. Nebel says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2006 1:07:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2006 1:07:37 PM PST
E. Malahy says:
Wow. I'm constantly amazed that people are saying "I feel short changed because I bought a book that told me exactly what it was!"

The "Director's Cut" analogy the book makes ON THE COVER is 100% accurate. So how do you feel the need to get upset?! Every single cookbook on the planet that tries to be a general purpose cookbook gets revised and updated in increments...

Look at Joy of Cooking! Are they trying to double dip? No, they're just trying to keep the book up to date, so people can purchase it knowing it's not 75 years old. Same applies here.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x9d45a1b0)

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Aug 28, 2006
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
I'm Just Here for the Food: Version 2.0
I'm Just Here for the Food: Version 2.0 by Alton Brown (Hardcover - October 1, 2006)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (364)