Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on April 4, 2011
Karyn's program is literally life-changing. Having been through her detox program, I can attest that you will feel better than you ever have in your entire life. Even if you don't have prominent aches, pains and health issues, this program will make you realize how healthy you can be. An abundant source of energy, weight loss, stronger hair and nails, and clearer skin are just a few of the benefits to her de-tox. And if you DO suffer from chronic ailments, no doubt your discomfort will be diminished. This book spells it all out for you in a clear, clever and conversational style that makes it a quick-read. BUY IT!!
on March 22, 2011
I appreciate Karyn's sharing the catalyst to her choice in becoming a Raw vegan which she related happened after witnessing her mother's quality of life and health fading from toxic acute medical care treatment. Her contention that your health will not change without a radical change in not only a diet but,thinking as you must view health as a process including spiritual,dietary,exercise,and rational choices that make up a whole person. The author also included an action plan to maintain optimal health after you've decided to cleanse your body in steps she suggests. Karyn also gives insight into her choice of the book's title which is that the nuts should be soaked to allow nutrients to be better absorbed though soaking to disable an enzyme inhibitor. Likewise, almost metaphorically, the colon needs to be cleared to allow better absorption of nutrients into the bloodstream. The author believes in cleansing still after her very stringent Raw Vegan diet and exercise regimen to stave off impurities from environmental impact, then everyone should at least look into do so. It should be noted however, that on page 111 the author has a recipe for "Raw Oatmeal", which requires oat groats that she says to soak in organic apple juice for 3 hours or until liquid is absorbed. Oat groats must soak overnight, especially when eaten raw. It was not noted in this book for actual soaking time. Once soaked for at least 24 hours, one can proceed with her recipe.
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2011
I purchased this book because I thought it would have recipes for detoxification and juicing. While it does have this, a majority of the recipes promote her product line with no substitutions offered or alternative products. Althought I skimmed the book, I did not see any standardized dosing for the herbs other than the amount of capsules to take and not a mg measurement. I think the information is great and I believe the detox program seems very good but I would be stuck buying her product line in order to do this.
on April 24, 2012
This is a nice book if you are into fasting and detoxing and you want an alternative plan. I didn't follow everything she suggests (nor does she expect you to) but I enjoyed trying out her obtions for detoxing like enzyme pills, flax oil and I actually made rejuvelac! It's a nice resource to have in your detox library. Take what works for you and what you can afford because no matter what, you will see results. Also, watch her videos on You Tube to give you additional inspiration. And if you have a chance when you are in Chicago visit one of her raw or cooked restaurants. Karen's Cooked is always on my to do list when I'm in the Windy City.
on October 2, 2013
excellent information... you have to be dedicated though, lots of supplements to buy.. and a big commitment... but, all information agrees with so many other books, I've read. I want to do this exactly, but, it certainly includes alot of different supplements. I only did it for a week... but am going to get back to it for a good cleanse.
on February 9, 2015
I heard Karyn speak at Chicago Veganmania in October 2014. After her excellent talk, she tabled in the exhibit hall. That's where I met her and decided to buy her book. I had never done a cleanse before, even for a few days much less the 28 days recommended in her book. Since most of the people reviewing the book did not complete the 4-week program, I thought I would share my experience. I started the cleanse on January 1/10/15 and finished it on 2/7/15.

This program is not for the faint of heart. It requires a great deal of discipline and dedication. I estimate that I was about 85% faithful to it. Starting out as a vegan made it easier for me, since I only had to transition to a raw food diet. People who eat the standard American diet (SAD) (meat, milk, cheese, processed foods) would be much more challenged. The reasons that I did not follow the program 100% were (1) I refused to ingest non-food items like detox clay and hydrogen peroxide and (2) I only performed about 1/3 of the enemas that Karyn suggested. I found the enemas uncomfortable, nasty, and time consuming, even though I embraced the idea of the internal bowel cleanse. Some of the cleansing products, such as spirulina, wheat grass, oregano oil, and green kamut were really nasty to consume, and I had to hold my breath to get them down. Karyn claims that people will acquire a taste for them, but that didn't happen with me. She needs to recommend ways to make these products more palatable.

The book was well written overall with very positive encouragement and repetitious passages to remind the reader of important aspects of the detox regimen. Other reviewers were correct in observing that ingredient ID's and amounts in supplements were not provided, which required the reader to guess at those if the supplements were purchased from stores other than Karyn's.

My results included 5% loss of body weight and the gain of significant energy. I did not experience any amazing recoveries or improvements from health issues, such as joint pain and inflammation. If I do this again, I would certainly modify the time period, maybe reduce it to 2 weeks, and cut down on some of the supplements.

Cost:
If you buy all the supplements and special foods from Karyn's store, you will pay something like $540 plus shipping and handling. I ordered most items from Amazon for a total of $315, including shipping and handling. The raw foods that I ate during the 4-week program cost about $9 a day, considerably less than what most people spend on food. Some of the supplemental foods, like wheatgrass powder, spirulina, and psyllium, will last for another cleanse.

Time:
If you are going to do the program right, you will need to devote enough time to prepare food, perform the enemas, and organize all the supplements. If you're doing this on your own, definitely order the supplements and special foods several weeks in advance. This program would really challenge someone who works full-time and has a family.

Attitude:
As the body detoxifies, a few unpleasant effects may accompany the process. I experienced some irritability, sleep interference, cravings for sweets, and some anxiety during the 3-day fast, but overall the effects were not debilitating.

Food:
As other reviewers pointed out, Karyn does not provide many recipes for preparing raw food dishes. Fortunately, there are zillions of recipes available online including ones that Karyn posts on YouTube. To satisfy my sweet tooth, but in a healthier way, I found plenty of recipes for cookies, chocolates, and cereal bars that used raw sweeteners like dates, agave syrup, and maple syrup.
on July 14, 2014
One of my better buys! Karyn's detox book is easy to read and the instructions are very clear. I'm on day 5 of the cleanse and I look and feel so much better. I have new found energy, the puffiness in my face and feet are gone and I'm loosing weight too...thanks Karyn for writing this book!
on February 1, 2015
Great book to learn about raw vegan diets. Very inspiring. If you wish to follow her cleanse know it can be expensive and time consuming but great for your health. Also has modifications to just be healthier if you are unwilling to do the whole cleanse.
on July 11, 2015
I would have given it a "5", but took off the point for being slightly scattered, as others have pointed out. But her conscientiousness, dedication and personal honesty are excellent. I've leaned alot and feel I have better resources to be successful.
on March 24, 2014
This book is packed with knowledge regarding food and the health benefits as well as the negative effects of the "anti-foods" we may eat. This is a great book to read, it grabs you and makes you ready to improve your life. I haven't not begun the detox but I am so encouraged by Karyn's story and the energy she exhibits throughout the book.