Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Social Media 101: Tactics and Tips to Develop Your Business Online
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 24, 2010
Will books be replaced by blogs? Social Media 101 is a blog in book form. While there's some good information here, the book lacks narrative, mixes cliches with some worthwhile tools and serves up a lot of scattered information.

The longer I read Social Media 101, the more I wondered if author Chris Brogan had read a book lately and realized that what works in an interactive medium looks like a mess on the printed page. Readers of blogs find their minds wandering after 800 words. Book readers expect more than a bunch of ideas that flashed through someone's head. Moreover book buyers expect a product that provides more value than something free. Much of Social Media 101 reads like a stream of conscious conversation. Brogan starts with "Above all else people," gives us a few cliches and then moves on to "People like to be engaged." As he skips from topic to topic the book gets worse. A chapter entitled Velocity, Flexibility, Economy includes a blurb on Google's smart phone, Flexibility, a blub on various applications and Economy, descriptions of things like Skype which reduce the costs of many jobs. The fact that the author, publishers and editors all okay'd this (probably because the topic "Social Media" is such a draw) is pretty sad.

I know that everyone is dying to find out more about social media and what they can do with it. Unfortunately what readers' need is a thoughtful, well organized tool that will help them put together a strategy. This book of tips won't cut it. The author never bit the bullet and took the time to write a real book from the notes in his blog.
33 comments|39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 2010
This book was more of a random and disorderly jumble of thoughts than a well structured, well thought out book. I agree with the previous reviewer that said that it is more of a blog than a book. If this were it's only flaw, though, I might have forgiven it. The real problem I had was that there was just too little information of value and there was far too much extraneous information that a reader had to slog through to find those few nuggets of value. For instance, do I really want this writer telling me how to run a meeting? No. I bought this book to get the writer's perspectives on social media. Unfortunately, I got far too little of that perspective and far too much of everything else. I would recommend you avoid this book.
on February 19, 2010
I am a fan of chris brogan blog. He knows a lot about social media. I am a top producer in south america and I am begining to build my personal brand using social media. This book has the best articles of chris`s blog with a lot how to for people like me who want to introduce in the social media arena but it is a little desorganized and I would expect a little more than I read in his blog. Anyway i recomend it because it will become the first book to read for everybody who want to introduce in the social media
on February 20, 2011
Thanks to the library I didn't pay for this read. Actually I didn't put much time into this read anyway. Usually I skim to see what I'm getting into and right away this starts looking like a blog - without any real focus. The thoughts ramble on from one subheading to the next with more of a ramble on attitude.

On the plus side there are a few tidbits of information that are worthwhile - which are also available in multiple other better books on the subject. All in all a real disappointment.

If you are looking for how social media can help you market your business or build your brand you're much better off looking at:

The New Rules of Marketing and PR: How to Use Social Media, Blogs, News Releases, Online Video, and Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly, 2nd Edition by David Meerman Scott (Paperback - Jan 12, 2010)

The Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue by Shama Kabani and Chris Brogan (Paperback - Apr 6, 2010)

The Social Media Bible: Tactics, Tools, and Strategies for Business Success by Lon Safko (Paperback - Sep 28, 2010)

or just about any other book on this subject on Amazon.
on May 11, 2010
Being on social media and all, this non-fiction piece is written slightly tangentially (almost as if the author had just pulled together dozens of their blogs!) and probably almost works better as a reference book - i.e. look up the chapter you are interested in and just read that.

While I did enjoy the book, and found some parts to be informing, I feel like Social Media 101 is not entirely user friendly. Being computer savy but not expert, I often found myself floundering when Brogan name dropped and didn't bother explaining anything that would be obvious to a social media user already.

All in all, this is more of an `interesting pointers' book rather than a well constructed thesis on the use of social media. The book could have perhaps been stronger if it had been related to specific business ideas other than just sales pitches. Not a huge burden to read but hardly a light bulb in the dark either.
on July 20, 2011
Overall, I think Chris Brogan's Social Media 101 is a great tool for people entering the realm of social media. The simple, easy-to read style of his book makes the daunting and seemingly endless possibilities of social media accessible, understandable, and achievable to those who are unaccustomed and inexperienced. Not to the mention, the small size of this book takes on the form of a trusty handbook. Unlike ordinary textbooks and how-to books, Brogan's book of information and strategies puts a face to those behind the computer screen. Social Media 101 is personable and the information provided derives from firsthand experience.

Rather than reading this book like a story, I've taken upon myself to read it as a reference book. While reading, I was simultaneously launching my blog(s) and refining my Twitter/tweeting skills. One chapter that has resonated with me is chapter 6: Social Media for Your Career. With endless networking sites, Brogan has quickly and quite simply drawn out the professional benefits of these sites. Whether one chooses to create an account on X social networking site for pleasure or for business, there will always be an audience and why not use it to your advantage--make your profile more than a page for people to get an inside scope of your life. Brogan tells readers to see these forums as a template for a resume. Since this chapter, I have changed my views on social media and have gained a new perspective and even respect for online platforms. This particular chapter has opened my eyes to the various opportunities and benefits of social websites. Reading Social Media 101 has inspired me to adjust my profiles to my professional and academic career while dedicating and reserving a portion for the purity of networking.
on August 2, 2011
"Social Media 101: Tactics and Tips to Develop Your Business Online" by Chris Brogan is the perfect book for new bloggers. It is also a great book for businesses that are looking to add social media into their marketing mix.
on May 24, 2010
Social Media involves a set of tools that allows us to build relationships online. As marketing shifts from being subjected to broadcast methods, such as just print or television ads to an interactive approach is challenging small business owners through large corporations. Word of mouth and referral based business is key to finding new clients or customers and retaining their business. Building a community online can be a complicated task. Where should a business start? Do we need a website or blog, should we be on Facebook or LinkedIn? What other types of content can we create and publish? And how do we systematize all this to still conduct our business?

In "Social Media 101", Chris Brogan highlights the various channels online that businesses need to extend their presence into, while maintaining a good website that functions like home base. Beyond implementing tools, Chris shares valuable insight into the actual relationship building activities.

Whether you are building a corporate brand, or furthering your personal brand as it relates to your own business or companies you contract with, it is important to go beyond just showing up or operating in broadcast only mode. It now matters to authentically connect and offer value to others.
on February 1, 2013
A great book. Alot of books on social media talk endlessly about garbage and theoretical garbage. This book gets to the point and has a dense amount of information without fluff. That is how a book should be. I dont have days to wait to get to the author's thesis and main points
on March 31, 2011
This book has something for everyone. If you are just beginning to venture into social media you will find a great deal of information in this little book that you can put to use right away. If you are a more experienced user there is stuff of a more complicated nature that you will be able to use.

This book is an easy read and the information is broken into chunks. These chunks make it possible to pick up the book, read a few chapters and then put it down again.

I got so many ideas from this book that I have been working on implementing them all day. After a full day, I still have more ideas that I got from this book to implement over the next couple of days. If you need some fresh ideas on social media this is the book to read.

LeaRae Keyes