From the Back Cover
The second edition of this groundbreaking, three-part multimedia learning system includes an interactive CD-ROM, a practice text-workbook, and additional student tools and resources on a website.
Designed as a practical guide to teaching basic social work skills, the CD-ROM contains video segments demonstrating four different social worker-client interactions. Students can view the video, stop the action and respond to questions, look up references, or obtain more in-depth information about each skill segment. Common pitfalls for each skill set are noted as well as examples of the most appropriate times and ways to use specific skills in the therapeutic relationship, and information on when it is inappropriate to use specific skills.
New To This Edition
- Expanded text material includes three new chapters: Chapter 3: Social Work Practice and Theory; Chapter 4: The Cultural Context of Practice: Using Interviewing Skills Effectively; and, Chapter 5: The Engagement Process.
- Expanded workbook section has an increased number of exercises for student practice as well as more space for note-taking.
- CD-ROM now allows students to test themselves in forming specific skill responses and provides immediate instructional feedback.
- New dialogues with virtual clients on CD-ROM demonstrate interviewing skills and common pitfalls in practice.
- CD-ROM now includes conceptual mapping and a guided narrative throughout to improve student comprehension.
- New case study added that emphasizes practice in the client environment.
- To enhance the person-in-environment perspective across all case studies, case analyses show concept maps that graphically present the multiple forces influencing clients’ lives.
- Additional information on ecological perspective and systems theory added to Chapter 1.
- New student website includes cultural assessment tools, online case notes, and space to develop treatment plans for virtual clients.
- New Instructor’s Website includes an online Instructor’s Manual, an array of practice tools for student use with the virtual clients on the CD, and a rich collection of resource materials to help instructors with class preparation, and homework or lab assignments (see inside front cover for details). What Reviewers Are Saying About the New Edition. . .
The authors have been very effective in presenting a good deal of material in a way that is highly digestible. After introducing their material, they offer wonderful, abundant learning exercises to reinforce the concepts they are presenting. The CD-ROM is a useful tool, and my students appreciate ‘live’ examples of the concepts as well as the interactivity.
Rosemary A. Barbera, Temple University
I particularly like the virtual client concept. Also, having students develop electronic case notes and treatment plans will help students develop recording and assessment skills. We are being encouraged to use web-based instruction in our courses, and this integrated CD/Workbook/Website package helps to stimulate critical thinking around key interviewing skills.
Cheryl Waites, North Carolina State University