Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 10, 2012
The book is full of great information for someone studying sociology. However, my prof told me that new editions are pretty much the same as the last. Typically they just change the chapter order. If I had known this I would have saved myself about $50 buying the older 10th edition and would have the same information. There aren't going to be any huge changes in society every 9 months- buy the previous edition!
on September 30, 2012
I bought this book for a class that I pretty much just expected to get through. The teacher is alright, but the book is great. It doesn't talk down to you, but explains everything clearly and thoroughly. It interjects humor, speaks in plain English and answers questions you have been curious about. I am a psychology major, so I should say that the study of people has always interested me, so this book was already up my alley. While not exactly a "fun" read, I found this a fun read... for a textbook.
on May 10, 2013
Amazon advertises this as a "Kindle" edition yet it doesn't work on Kindles. It only works on Kindle Fires, PC Kindle application (not the Windows 8 app edition) and iPad (not even the iPhone Kindle app). How is this not supported on Windows 8 Kindle App???? All the new laptops/tablets for windows are out of luck. This should be disclaimed a VERY LIMITED e-editions only. Not happy.
on March 3, 2013
My Sociology professor said we would be using the 12th edition of Society: The Basics in class, but she mentioned the 11th edition would be acceptable too. I decided to take her up on her offer and get the 11th edition and I haven't regretted it yet. Every time my professor mentions something in the textbook, I can find it in my older copy just a few pages away from the 12th edition. It takes a little bit more page-flipping, but the $100 I saved over my peers makes it well worth it!
on August 7, 2014
Pluses: This book is probably basic information that everyone should know. It's presented pretty clearly.

There is even some criticism of sociologists in there - that they can be prone to groupthink.
Negatives: What I find frustrating about this book, as opposed to the textbook for Psychology 101, Econ 101, and other social "science" intro courses - is that this one doesn't show enough about sociologists and what they are doing with their knowledge practically. I don't think that examples exist! Show me sociologists who are working on policy - education policy, affirmative action, drafting health inequality.
What is the difference between a social worker and psychologist? Isn't that the kind of thing you should know when you take an introductory class in a field? I still cannot answer that question, except I would expect a social worker deals more with local, state, and perhaps federal bureaucracy.

Where are the sociologists of this world, mainly? Do they all become social workers and professors? Where do their ideas and research come into play and make a difference in people's lives, besides categorizing and pointing out that this or that indifference or movement happened? This book perpetuates the idea of sociologists as gatherers of data, content to write books that other sociologists read, but not willing to wade into the waters of reality to test any hypotheses about how to reverse a situation.

As opposed to psychologists and psychiatrists and economists who must test their ideas in the real world, and face the scorn and contempt of society and try to solve the problems of their field, sociologists don't seem to propose any solutions! At least, not any addressed in this book... They are just commenters on what's happening in the world. like playing Monday night quarterback - nice work if you can get it.

Because of that, I feel like you end up with a nice overview of the world - but don't get a sense of where sociologists fit into it, except in their ivory towers, reporting data, performing case studies and interviews, but never venturing out into where sociologists' ideas experience real criticism for the ideas' failures to do anything about the biases, injustices, and other ideas that sociologists so love to report on.

I think this book (which is already updated) could use a section about what sociologists actually do in the real world (and I don't mean people with a BS who get a law degree or go to Teach For America or I-Banking)
on October 22, 2013
This book starts off good by teaching the different views of sociology, then it just is repetitious. The author or author(s) seem to drag on what they are saying. Get to the point of what you are teaching in sociology and that is it. Just because a book has a lot of pages doesn't mean it is good, this book is nothing but drawn out and keeps saying the same information over and over again. It lead to the point where I am skimming and skipping through pages. This is a 2/5 for inadequate information.
on October 4, 2011
Although, the book is new and in nice shape, i was left thinking i would receive the access code with the purchase as it was stated in the description. so i just feel like i was lied to. Now i have to spend 77 more dollars to buy the access code.
on June 4, 2016
This is a well-written book on the basics of society and talks about the Have's and the Have Nots, I had a great time reading it. The bad thing is that you will have a completely changed view on society and how you thought society works. I read this book back when I was in community college. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn more about how societies work and what goes on in the, and how one person is a Have and how another person is a Have Not. Very interesting. Highly Recommend!
on March 22, 2016
Had this book for a communications class in college. It was interesting read and would recommend this book for communication, psych. majors, etc. interesting scenarios in the book and broadens your understanding on some complex issues and makes it easy to understand.
on November 18, 2015
This was the required text for a Sociology 1101 class. The content was both informative and engaging. The chapters are laid out in a foundational order; each page contains sidebars with highlighted terms and core concepts. The index is thorough, making it easy to find in the book whatever it is you might need.

You'll only get from a textbook what you're willing to put in, with regard to critical thinking and study skills, of course, and this book proved truly invaluable. I kept my copy after term, rather than selling it, and I still reference it regularly when writing papers or researching world topics.