4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, for a textbook
Published 21 months ago by c. carranza

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, bad price
Published on January 10, 2012 by Shari M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, bad price, January 10, 2012
This review is from: Society: The Basics (11th Edition) (Paperback)
The book is full of great information for someone studying sociology. However, my prof told me that new editions are pretty much the same as the last. Typically they just change the chapter order. If I had known this I would have saved myself about $50 buying the older 10th edition and would have the same information. There aren't going to be any huge changes in society every 9 months- buy the previous edition!

1.0 out of 5 stars E-Edition Limited Access, May 10, 2013
Amazon advertises this as a "Kindle" edition yet it doesn't work on Kindles. It only works on Kindle Fires, PC Kindle application (not the Windows 8 app edition) and iPad (not even the iPhone Kindle app). How is this not supported on Windows 8 Kindle App???? All the new laptops/tablets for windows are out of luck. This should be disclaimed a VERY LIMITED e-editions only. Not happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, for a textbook, September 30, 2012
I bought this book for a class that I pretty much just expected to get through. The teacher is alright, but the book is great. It doesn't talk down to you, but explains everything clearly and thoroughly. It interjects humor, speaks in plain English and answers questions you have been curious about. I am a psychology major, so I should say that the study of people has always interested me, so this book was already up my alley. While not exactly a "fun" read, I found this a fun read... for a textbook.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disclaimer Didn't Access Code., October 4, 2011
This review is from: Society: The Basics (11th Edition) (Paperback)
Although, the book is new and in nice shape, i was left thinking i would receive the access code with the purchase as it was stated in the description. so i just feel like i was lied to. Now i have to spend 77 more dollars to buy the access code.

5.0 out of 5 stars Save some money- get the 11th edition!, March 3, 2013
This review is from: Society: The Basics (11th Edition) (Paperback)
My Sociology professor said we would be using the 12th edition of Society: The Basics in class, but she mentioned the 11th edition would be acceptable too. I decided to take her up on her offer and get the 11th edition and I haven't regretted it yet. Every time my professor mentions something in the textbook, I can find it in my older copy just a few pages away from the 12th edition. It takes a little bit more page-flipping, but the $100 I saved over my peers makes it well worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Society: The Basics (12th Edition), January 30, 2013
Rented this book for a college class since it was my cheapest option. I enjoy the material covered even if I less than love the arrangement of the information.

2.0 out of 5 stars repetitious book, October 22, 2013
This book starts off good by teaching the different views of sociology, then it just is repetitious. The author or author(s) seem to drag on what they are saying. Get to the point of what you are teaching in sociology and that is it. Just because a book has a lot of pages doesn't mean it is good, this book is nothing but drawn out and keeps saying the same information over and over again. It lead to the point where I am skimming and skipping through pages. This is a 2/5 for inadequate information.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing book, January 14, 2013
Good easy reading and I found this book useful for class. I liked the content and the easy understanding level.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, December 20, 2013
Used for Sociology 101. The book was missing a lot of information that the professor went over and combined information that should have been separated. Overall gets the job done, but nothing a previous edition can't teach you.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, August 30, 2013
This review is from: Society: The Basics (11th Edition) (Paperback)
The condition of this book was very good considering it was previously used. I was happy to find that there were no markings in the pages, which was a big concern for me. I am using it instead of the 12th edition, and so far it has been just as good,

Society: The Basics (11th Edition)
Society: The Basics (11th Edition) by John J. Macionis (Paperback - October 3, 2010)
Used & New from: $1.87