Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now DOTD

on July 22, 2008
If the 1968 Detroit Tigers were "your team" growing up, as they were for me in the fourth grade, then you absolutely have to have this book. If you think you know everything there is to know about the 68 Tigers, then you must get this book because you don't know everything there is to know about this team, the last true regular season American League champion (in 1969 they went to divisional play). The book looks (in incredible detail) at every player, coach, manager, and broadcaster who was part of this World Series championship team. When I say EVERY player, I mean every player. If they had just one at-bat, they're in the book. If they pitched just one-third of an inning, they're in the book. Between the biographies of each person, there are summaries of every game the Tigers played in the 1968 season. One criticism: along with the game summaries, I would have liked the box scores of each game and a weekly summary of the standings. Remember, the Detroit newspapers were on strike for much of the 1968 season and this type of detail does not exist in one volume. The book also has a feature on Tiger Stadium (R.I.P. old friend) and some nice photos in the middle. Each player profile has a photo, the 1968 Topps baseball card for that player or coach. This book is far superior to Jerry Green's "Year of the Tiger," and much less expensive than that rare book (if you can even find one). No question, your Detroit Tiger library is not complete until you read this fine book. Now, if it only came with one final hot dog, mustard only applied with a wooden stick, from a vendor in Tiger Stadium. Alas...
33 comments12 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2011
I have become one of those individual profile feature junkies that the baseball world is filled with these days. I love not just seeing the stats of players, but finding out about a player's life. And, really, it's not the superstars that I find interesting. I already know a lot about Al Kaline, Hank Greenberg, etc. This book will give you detailed bios on Don Wert, Dennis Ribant and even the coaches and broadcasters. When I say detailed, I don't mean 300 words. We are talking 3 to 4 pages of detailed information. Honestly, these are great bedroom books or (do I dare say) bathroom books. You flip to a page and read about that player. You might forget it within a few days, but at the time your read it, you find the information pretty interesting. And one day later, you flip to the same player and enjoy it again. It's a great book any Tiger fan should enjoy. But if you just want to learn about players, and maybe you saw Roy Face in the NL, you might find it an interesting book as well.
If you see yourself in my review, you will enjoy this book.
44 comments2 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2010
In 1968 I was a young girl--not yet a teenager living in Anchorage, Alaska and baseball was rarely shown on TV. We got to see the World Series games on TV a day or two after they were played so I learned to study the linescores--yes linescores--not boxscores and imagine the game in my mind. This was my chance to see how it really was. I would have liked to have read more about how the players felt after a difficult loss or victory and would have liked to have been able to ease drop more on the conversation--that is why I'm giving it four stars instead of five.
on November 26, 2013
Great book, well written with good pictures. I would recommend this book to any Detroit Tigers fan or baseball fan
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2010
Whether you were there in 1968 (like I was) when they won the pennant or if you're a newer fan who wants to learn more about the legendary 1968 team then this book's for you.
0Comment3 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2008
Once again, thanks to Amazon.com, I had a good experience when I ordered "Sock It To 'Em Tigers." The order was handled in a timely manner and the book arrived in "NEW" condition as stated.
0Comment2 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse