4.0 out of 5 stars The Shrieking SodaStream and How to Carbonate Cheaply
I took a long time and did a lot of research before purchasing this on-sale at a local store. I realized it had most of the features I wanted (LED, Snap-Lock, non-electric) so I bought it knowing safely that I could return it. I drink a ton of carbonated water, up to a gallon a day. Needless to say, it has gotten a lot of use in the last 2 months.

The design is...
Published 16 months ago by Stephanie

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed design; going back to old SodaStream Pure
Published 22 months ago by M. P. Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars The Shrieking SodaStream and How to Carbonate Cheaply, August 4, 2013
This review is from: SodaStream Source Metal Starter Kit, Black (Kitchen)

The design is great. The Snap-Lock feature is foolproof (please check this out before buying any other models of SodaStream - any other models are not for those with carpal tunnel or poor coordination), it's lightweight and is easy to move around. The CO2 lasts for a long time. The one thing I don't like about it is at a certain point in the carbonation process, the SodaStream starts to squeal. Kind of like a balloon losing air. It can be annoying especially if you have a sleeping baby or cranky neighbors, but this "side-effect" won't damage your hearing and lessens as the CO2 tank is depleted.

I do not drink anything sweetened - naturally or unnaturally - so I can't comment on the drink flavors of the sample packets that come with it. I purchase the MyWater flavoring since the flavor is subtle, and I recommend the lemon-lime and orange flavors.

****IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THE CARBONATION TANKS****
SodaStream makes their money by selling you the carbonation tanks. The threads on the tops are custom designed for SodaStream stuff and are NOT interchangeable with other types of CO2 tanks. Old SodaStreams used to be able to use CO2 tanks designed for paintball guns that were cheap and easy to refill. HOW TO CHEAPLY REFILL YOUR CARBONATION TANK: Take it to a paintball store. They have the adapters (which run $70 just for the adapter) and have been selling me the gas for $5 a fill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, once you find the right water temperature., February 9, 2013
Justin Dunham (Kansas City, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SodaStream Source Metal Starter Kit, Black (Kitchen)
I got one of these for Christmas (thanks, Mom!) and started making all kinds of soda with the starter packs. I had some issues with inconsistent carbonation until I realized that the water I was using was simply TOO COLD. I was filling the bottles, refrigerating them while full, and then carbonating them when I wanted a drink. Sometimes the carbonation just wouldn't "take" in the water, and it puzzled me. Then one day, I carbonated a bottle that had been sitting on the counter for a few hours, and it worked perfectly! It seems that the carbonator likes water that is somewhere in the 40-45 degree range, so I now have taken to filling the bottles part-way, and adding warmer water to bring the temp up before carbonating. Works like a charm! I only wish I had seen something in the SodaStream literature about this... it would have saved me from a month of inconsistent carbonating!

By the way, I'll be back to give this 5 stars when I can buy my beloved Diet Pepsi in a SodaStream-friendly package.

(Addendum) I don't think this product saves a whole lot of money for people like me who (a) buy soda when it's on sale and (b) like a decent amount of carbonation in their soda. That said, I will continue to use the SodaStream for its environmental benefits.

4.0 out of 5 stars I figured out how to stop the noise..., August 15, 2013
meghan (SAINT HELENA, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SodaStream Source Metal Starter Kit, Black (Kitchen)
I recently purchased the Sodastream Source, and was IMMEDIATELY disappointed when EVERY bottle I tried to carbonate A) did not carbonate very well and B) made a HORRIBLE high pitched scream within seconds of trying to carbonate. The instructions said that you should wait for the 3 drops to light up for it to be fully carbonated...but I was afraid my neighbors would be coming after me if I continued to try to make soda at home...I couldn't even get to the 1st drop without fear of eviction!
Tonight (night 3) I decided to give it one more shot, but within seconds the stick that is inserted into the bottle came off! Before getting upset, I decided to see if I could fix it - which was SO easy - just screw it back in. WHO KNEW THAT WOULD ALSO FIX THE NOISE?! It makes SO much sense now that I am thinking about it, but would have never discovered this solution had it not come apart.
So, TIGHTEN THE CARBONATING STICK!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed design; going back to old SodaStream Pure, February 14, 2013
This review is from: SodaStream Source Metal Starter Kit, Black (Kitchen)
I was a long-time happy user of the SodaStream Pure. I had no complaints about it, but when the new SodaStream Source came out I was tempted by two things: the clean, modern design and the fact that bottles do not have to be screwed into the unit in order to carbonate the water. Having had the Source now for two months, I can say I am pleased with the appearance, but the design of the machine is fatally flawed.

Inserting bottles into the unit, you clamp them down instead of screwing them in. Unfortunately, the unit does not make an airtight seal with any bottle. I have tried more than 10. After barely a few seconds of attempting to carbonate, the bottle begins leaking massive amounts of air and making a horrifically loud squealing noise. Once the air starts escaping, no gas goes into the water, so it is impossible to get more than the lightest fizz on this machine. It is a huge disappointment.

Much as I hate to do it, I'll be pulling my old SodaStream Pure out of the basement and getting rid of the Source.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it every single day... I happily snicker to myself everytime I walk past the bottled water in the supermarket!, May 9, 2013
This review is from: SodaStream Source Metal Starter Kit, Black (Kitchen)
I had been thinking about this purchase for a couple years now. I write this review after 60 days of constant use.

I chose the sodastream source type for three features that have turned out to be great: 1) when you place the top of the bottle into the machine for charging, the machine will hold it for you letting you know it's placed right... 2) no electricity is required so it can sit/move comfortably on the kitchen counter...3) there is an LED that lights up as you add gas, helping you moderate how fizzy the water becomes. I've read other reviewers' concern that there isn't a good seal. I have found that one can "over-gas" the bottle and that's what makes the squealing noise -- it's a release to prevent an explosion. I find that I press the top down firmly and watch the lights, I get super-fizzy water and no squealing or wasted gas.

I use cold water from the tap -- when you charge the water, it gets colder from the compressed CO2. I did make the additional investment in a couple of the smaller bottles (be aware that this model does not support charging into the 1/2 liter bottles). When I charge the water, I pour it into the 1/2 liter bottles right away and pop them into the fridge. That way my honey has charged water handy for lunch packing. It is really, really easy to use. It's not unusual for me to use the charger at least once every day. We never run out of sparkling water. It's great.

Another benefit is that we no longer drink soda -- instead we take our favorite juices and make a 1:3 juice to charged water cocktail. Between the $5/wk bottled water and the $5/wk soda, we've stopped spending that $10 each week! So for those who like the math part of this, here's what I'm experiencing (your mileage may vary):

Investment: $ 349 for year 1
Starter Kit: $150, .5 liter bottles: $20,
CO2 refill (at target) $15 monthly (180)

Not spending anymore: $520 each year
Soda and Water $10/week

First year savings: $171
Second year savings: $340

If you like charged/sparkling water and are not a big soda drinker, I think you could see significant savings, not to mention the reduction in plastic floating around the recycling or trash. Go for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Roughly half the cost of soda in a bottle or can, November 25, 2012
Length:: 3:14 Mins

Did you know that CRV (California Redemption Value or equivalent in other states) actually tax the money added to a bottle or can of soda. So for a case of soda at 5 cents a container you pay an additional $1.20 + 8.75% tax = $1.31. For a case of soda say at $8.00 you are also paying about $0.70 cents in tax for a total of $2.00 extra per case of soda or $0.42 per 12 oz. I bought a SodaStream "Source" model and it's really cool Doing the math a 12 oz. serving is about half the price when you include the cost of filtered water that I get for $0.25 a gallon from the machines and the cost of the CO2 gas. With the flavored soda containers you can adjust the strength of the flavoring. Comes in a variety of flavors, sugared and diet plus sport drink. You can also adjust the carbonation when you are filling the water with CO2 gas. I'd recommend this as a gift for someone who enjoys carbonated beverages. From The Divine Chef (DivineChef on Youtube).

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with my purchase, January 24, 2013
This review is from: SodaStream Source Metal Starter Kit, Black (Kitchen)
I purchased this model of the sodastream at a bed bath and beyond in my town but I am a regular amazon user so I figured I could help out and give my feedback on this particular item. First off I am just going to make it clear that this review is solely my opinion and I am writing it to include all the things that really worried me before I decided to buy it.

First off, why buy the SOURCE? To tell you the truth I have no clue whatsoever. I am really happy with this model and have had no problems with it so far. I also like the fact that it has the LED lights to indicate carbonation level, and in my opinion this is the best looking model that sodastream offers.

My biggest concern when deciding to make the purchase was if I was going to like it or not. Ask yourself right now, do you like soda? if so you like soda stream because the flavors they offer with the goofy names taste just like their name brand counterparts. I especially think highly of the cola and root beer flavor because I would pick those 2 flavors to drink 10 out of 10 times over the name brand versions you would buy in stores. (and plus they are much healthier for you) They even have a mt dew copy called fountain mist which I have become fond of.
My only problem that I have found with flavors is the tea (crystal light) flavors. I dont like these that much but if I had to take a guess its because these drinks were not meant to be carbonated and because these are, its just a weird combination (opinion)

I also like the carbonating bottle that it comes with. It is super durable and has a metal lid and bottom. The best thing I have learned to do with this is rinse it with warm water after use and then fill it back with water to the fill line and store it in my fridge for the next time I want to use it (that way I have cold water ready all the time when I want to make one)

My reason for not giving all 5 stars is for my dissapointment with the tea flavors (peach tea and half and half are the ones I tried) and also for some reason when carbonating, the bottle fills with air and leaks out before im done carbonating so i have to pop the seal and then push the button again to get the carbonation to where I like it. (you will know what I mean by this if you buy it)

my overall words on this product is that it was a very unique idea that works well, tastes great, and really cuts back on can and bottle waste. and may save you a bit of money in the long run (but not to much because one thing people dont think about is the 30 they have to spend on the carbonators every time they empty,usually after about 55 or 60 bottles).

take it from someone who spent many many months debating on whether or not to make the purchase. you wont be disapointed with the sodastream SOURCE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Free At Last!, June 28, 2013
This review is from: SodaStream Source Metal Starter Kit, Black (Kitchen)
I bought the plastic starter Kit version, but since so many reviews are posted here I have put it in both locations.

No, it wasn't free, but I am now free to make and drink what I want when I want it. I couldn't be happier. Although I am a constant Amazon customer, I bought this at BB&B because it was $99 and I had a 15% coupon. What's not to like about that?

The machine is not perfect, but I think it well worth the money. I also bought a 2-pack of carbonator bottles, which gives me three liters of water in the fridge at all times, not necessarily all flavored.

Speaking of flavors, I think Sodastream has done a great job. The diet ginger ale and diet tonic are as good as you can buy anywhere. The diet cola is good, but if your cola HAS to taste like Pepsi or Coke you will not like it, because it simply isn't either. What it is is a very good diet cola in its own right.

However, I have found that my favorite flavor is...none or should I say, my own. I love just squeezing a quarter lime into a glass and adding plain soda. I have basically given up drinking artificially flavored soda and that was not part of the plan when I bought the machine. Talk about unintended consequences. No more artificial sweeteners. No more undefinable/unpronounceable mystery ingredients. Guess I'll just have to live with it.

As for the negative comments that are posted, they are not without merit. You simply have to decide what is important to you. My machine does squeal (lose gas) if I try to carbonate it to "high". I have found the simple way to get around that is to carbonate it twice, first to "medium" and then "low". Great result, little wasted gas, total time of 30 seconds. Refills for the carbonator are available at my local BB&B at a reasonable price, so I have no problem there. I also have no problem with the fact that we have completely given up buying and lugging soda bottles home from the store or the "accidental" elimination of junk ingredients from our diet.

All in all I'd buy this machine again in a heartbeat, no second thoughts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Soda Stream Source!, July 31, 2013
This review is from: SodaStream Source Metal Starter Kit, Black (Kitchen)
I love this Soda Stream Source! I had/have the original Soda Stream, but recently had Rotator Cuff Surgery and trying to twist the bottles on and off the locking mechanism was very difficult (even before the surgery). The new Soda Stream Source has solved all my problems! The click and lock type locking device is perfect for my recovery and will continue to be much easier to use even after the 6 to 8 week recovery period. I wish I had ordered this version the first time!

It's a bit more expensive, but well worth the money in my opinion. It provides a much more "fizzy" result than the other version in my opinion, but it remains to be seen if that causes it to use up the Carbonator bottles faster or not. I would recommend this item, I am enjoying using it on a daily basis.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great company, bad model. The Source WASTES too much C02.. Go for screw-in models., February 24, 2014
This review is from: SodaStream Source Metal Starter Kit, Black (Kitchen)
First off, I love Sodastream on the whole. I am a big carbonated water drinker, so I can't really comment on the soda pop side of things.
THE SOURCE HAS MANY PROBLEMS!
1- It makes a terrible high pitched whine when carbonating.
2-It vents too much gas during carbonating.
3-It vents off too much gas when you release the seal.

I ended up sending the unit back to Sodastream and having it replaced with a Genesis model. Since the prices differed, they gratiously included extra bottles and C02 cannisters to make up for it! Awesome service!

Now that I have the Genesis-
No more loud whine
Much, much less C02 wasted.

Only negative is the screw-in lock.

Don't buy Source!!