5.0 out of 5 stars Super Sturdy after 2+ years of constant use

3.0 out of 5 stars BOTTLES
Published on September 29, 2011 by anthony bruno

3.0 out of 5 stars BOTTLES, September 29, 2011
anthony bruno (roswell, georgia United States) - See all my reviews
I like to keep these bottle clean...So, once I make a bottle of soda, I pour the soda into an airtight plastic jug or container...and immediately flush out the carbonating bottle and let it air dry. As the instructions say...Do NOT clean these in a dishwasher..no matter how low the heat setting is. And, again per the instructions, NEVER carbonate anything but water...Anything else (soda mix, crystal lite, ice tea) will cause the bottle to back-flush on you while you are carbonating...possibly causing the bottle to burst or leak or fail or spray like a fire hose...I decided to "test" the instructions in this regard and learned the hard way

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Sturdy after 2+ years of constant use, May 30, 2013
The bottles are very sturdy as I have dropped them, rolled them, tossed them and who knows what else with no damage at all except a few minor surface scratches when my bottle rolled down the street. They have a wider mouth that makes them very easy to clean by either swishing them out or using a standard bottle brush. I still have 3 of the initial 4-1.o liter bottles I bought in 2010 with my machine but I have also added some .5 liter bottles to the mix. I left a bottle on my stove by accident when baking and it warped, though to it's credit, it did not leak!

They are not dishwasher safe because dishwashers don't all heat to the same temperature and the heat can decrease the bottles strength. The bottles need to be strong to contain the pressure of the CO2 without exploding. If you try to remove a bottle from the machine without releasing the excess gas first, you will feel just how powerful the CO2 can be.

If you go to ebay you will find many colors. I have Black, White, Grey, Blue, Red and Green.

Sodastream has a manufacturing plant in Israel where it is very popular because it can still be used on the Sabbath since there are no electrical parts on the basic models. I get my bottles shipped from Israel for the same cost as Sodastream.com. The only difference is there is small Hebrew Lettering on the bottle.

Couple of warnings (that we learned the hard way)

After bottle buzzes, tilt bottle towards you to release pressure before unscrewing
DO NOT add fizz AFTER you add flavor.
ALWAYS add fizz first, THEN flavor.
(Unless of course you love cleaning your floors and cabinets, and counter and ceiling...)

Based on our calculations, the cost per liter averages about $.75. This varies a little ($.65-$.90) and we factored in the cost of the machine, initial CO2 tanks and refills (my husband and I use any excuse we can to create spreadsheets!). Most flavors cost $4.99 per bottle. However, a couple are $6.99 and the Naturals line with flavors like Black Currant Pear and Apple Mango are $9.99 a bottle.

With the average retail cost of $1.49 for a 20oz. bottle for the mainstream sodas, this is a steal!

If you found this review helpful, please click the Yes box and let me know. If there is something I left out, please feel free to comment. I will also answer questions.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Expensive, But Work Great!, July 29, 2011
As of yet, there are no alternative bottles to fit SodaStream machines, so you pay top dollar for these. However, they work great and last a long time. Each has a rubber gasket in the cap which helps keep the carbonation in.

My only complaint is that the plastic tends to absorb the taste of any soda syrups you may use, so you may want to keep the bottles that you use for making pure sparkling water separate from those that you use to make flavored soda. You could easily differentiate between the two by purchasing different colors of plastic (black, white, green, orange, gray) or metal (stainless) for each purpose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great! Except NOT Dishwasher Safe., September 30, 2010
Tom H (Richmond, VA) - See all my reviews
These extra bottles come in handy. I love my SodaStream and use it all the time. My only wish is that the bottles were dishwasher safe. I tried running them through without with the high temp wash or heat dry and they still melted. Also, I wouldn't purchase the flavored mixes unless you are a fan of generic/store brand colas and such.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described, does exactly what it should, February 15, 2012
Some of these negative reviews surprise me. For the people having trouble with them melting...the warning NOT to put them in hot water or a dishwasher is in at least 3 places on the starter pack, on the packaging of the extra bottles, and printed on the bottle itself. I think it's unfair to give a low review b/c it's not dishwasher safe especially since there are dishwasher safe bottles available for a few more dollars. There are also .5L bottles available for the people that said 1L is too much or goes flat.

We have a total of 4 bottles and they get used every day (I love seltzer water!). They show no wear and tear. Even the printing on the bottle is still 100% intact.

If you are having trouble with the taste or scent of soda staying in the bottle, try soaking them in baking soda. When I'm done with a bottle I mix about a teaspoon of baking soda with a cup of lukewarm water then pour it into the bottle and fill it all the way up. Shake or swirl and let it sit. I usually leave it at least an hour but I've never tested how long it takes to smell clean. But it works every time. My mom used to do this for stinky baby bottles!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Bottles For Sodastream Users - Recommended, January 16, 2012
These heavyweight 1L bottles work perfectly with our Sodastream Fountain Jet Soda Maker Starter Kit.

The bottle lids have a good built in seal that keeps in the carbonation, which works surprising well, and I like that the bottles are BPA free. The negative issues are that the bottles have an "expiration date" (mine are 02/2015), they are not dishwasher safe, and they are somewhat expensive.

The convenience of the Sodastream system outweighs the few negative of the bottles for my needs.

Recommended!

CFH

5.0 out of 5 stars Carbonating Bottles, February 16, 2011
Great sturdy bottles and they arrived very quickly. Am please with the purchase and even happier to no longer lug home the multiple cans of seltzer we bought week after week for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two plastic bottles - -, September 22, 2013
K. Rowley (Austin, Texas United States Planet Earth, Sol, Milky Way Galaxy) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Earlier this year I bought one of the Sodastream Source kits. It only came with the one one-liter bottle. So I wanted a few more so as to be able to make more than one flavor at a time. Seeing how there is no alternative than to buy the these, that is what I did. The bottles are pretty much the same as the one that came with my Sodastream machine, except that the bottoms and tops are plastic instead of metal. I noticed all these bottles have an expiration date on them, I'm guessing pressurizing the bottles stresses the plastic and at some point they may rupture if used too many times. So it's probably a good idea to keep checking that date (or keep track on how many times you used a bottle).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to have extras!, December 24, 2012
Gabriela Amari (BROOKLYN, NEW YORK, US) - See all my reviews
Can't go wrong with two extra bottles for the awesome Sodastream! They arrived So Fast and in perfect condition and are in my fridge right now filled with seltzer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Sodastream, August 22, 2011
Great to have extra. Ottles on hand so that I can offer different flavors or change my mind about plain or flavored without having to finish a bottle.

ARRAY(0x9f9738c4)

Sodastream 1l Carbonating Bottles- White (Twin Pack)
$24.99 $17.99