Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

on May 21, 2013
I don't seldom write reviews, but since I nearly avoided this purchase because of the lackluster reviews for the Revolution, and because I had many of the problems other reviewers had on here, I feel compelled to share my experience.

I purchased my Revolution from W&S and have had it for about three days. Here are some points I would like to share:

(1) Build Quality - this unit is mostly plastic. At $200, there's no reason it shouldn't have all-metal housing and steel fittings. It isn't that complicated a machine, and I'm guessing their margins are very high at this price point. I've been waiting for the Breville version of the Sodastream to be relased, but my patience ran out, and I suspect it will probably cost something near $500. I don't know how long the plastic will hold out, but we are careful with the unit, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it last 5+ years with daily use.

(2) Carbonation - one simple rule: use tap water. Everyone has an opinion here, but I've burned through a cannister of testing and spoken with Sodastream directly, and I'm here to tell you that, in ideal settings, room-temperature water will carbonate indentically to chilled water. The reason why you should use room-temperature water is because the carbonation process reduces the temperature of the water near the tip to near-freezing. If the water is already chilled, the tip tends to freeze and restrict the release of CO2 into the water. The result is poorly-carbonated water. The reason why people are using chilled water is because they think it will carbonate water better. It does not. What chilled water does is *hold* carbonation better. To achieve optimal results, one needs to carbonate room temperature water and then refrigerate it. At the highest setting (level 4), the water is so carbonated it's hard to drink. With the glass tilted into my mouth, bubbles are popping in my nose with mini explosions continuing on into the back of my throat. That's how I like it, and it's more than store-bought sparkling water can deliver.

(3) Soda mix taste - I've only tried the cola so far, and I like it. It's not quite exactly Coke, but with the high carbonation and, if sufficiently chilled, it's nearly impossible to tell the difference. I'm going to order some of the essences as well as more of the naturally-sweetened cola.

(4) Value - Some folks have done a lot of calculations here, so I won't try to repeat their detailed process. My back-of-envelope calculations tell me that if savings are your top priority, you certainly should be looking at a lower-cost model, and preferably, a used unit in good working condition. At $200 plus mix costs plus carbonator costs plus expiring plastic bottle costs, this is more of a convenience to those of us who are tired of hauling, storing, and disposing large quantities of plastic bottles and aluminum cans. I suspect after two years of heavy use, I should break even, which is great, but my primary reason for purchasing this unit was to have sparkling water on-hand all the time and without the hassle.

(5) Access to Local Carbonator Exchanges - I didn't do this before making the purchase, but I got lucky. I would strongly advise you go to the Sodastream site and use their mapping tool to determine if there are stores local to you that have carbonator exchange programs.

For me personally, the carbonation issue was the biggest. The less-than-perfect carbonation followed by the observation that the tip was freezing had me putting the unit back in the box with one hand and calling the company with the other, and all because a number of people online have been erroneously stating that you should use chilled water with the machine. Hopefully this review will clear things up for some folks.
2525 comments299 of 312 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2012
Despite what one of the other reviewers said it is not $1.00 per litter of soda for the CO2. It's about 1/4 that price at approximately .22 cents per liter with a refilled carbonator (math $29.99/130 liters = .223). I love energy drinks and if you read any reviews on the web most people think sodastreams version of Red Bull is better or at least just as good. Here's the math on my savings on the energy drink. Creating sparkling water is also a huge savings with sodastream.

Sodastream cost of 24 x 12oz = 288oz
Syrup cost for 288oz = $5.032
CO2 cost - 8.727 liters * (.223 per liter of CO2) = $1.94
Total Cost for Sodastream Energy Drink = $6.97

Red Bull cost of 24 x 12oz = $45.58 (Sams Club Price)

Savings = $38.60

Starter kit starts at $79 so it doesn't take long for your investment to pay off.

Some other reasons to buy.

Big advantage of the revolution is not having to screw in the bottles. This might not sound like a big deal but I had the screw in type previously, and stored it under the cupboard. This made it difficult to easily attach the bottle because there is a lever you are suppose to pull but mine was under the cupboard (unless I pulled it out from within, another step). With the new version just push up and in, no more screwing in the bottle!!
No dragging bottles of soda from the store and you can easily have a variety to choose from.
If you buy 10 you get the 11th free of syrups.
Use bed bath and beyond coupons to save 20% on the starter kit or syrups (Text "offer" to 239663) and you'll receive your first coupon for 20% off one item)
Saving the earth (image all the resources we are spending to ship essentially water around when we have it right in our home)
Saving bottles from scattering our planet.
33 comments98 of 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2014
You don't screw in the bottle. You just put in and push it back--no turning. The machine turns on the buttons light up. You pick your "fiz" level by pushing one of four buttons. The fizification starts. The cat jumps and runs off. The ready indicator lights. You tilt the bottle out and take it away. Not unscrewing the bottle.

Did I mention you don't have to screw/unscrew the bottles and no pumping. You just push one button. The machine turns on and off auto-magically.

Oh, another thing. This machine will take the 14.6 or the 30 oz bottles--cool!

I love this machine. It is the one to get.
0Comment26 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2013
The one really nice thing about the Revolution is that you don't have to screw in the bottle. But that is all that I think is better that the Fizz

The really poor point about the Revolution is that it wastes CO2 almost every burst. For all the extra CO2 it uses it does not give a very strong carbonation. If you press the third button only the first burst will not waste CO2. So at each step each carbonation burst vents more and more CO2. So by the time it gets to the last cycle almost all the CO2 is just vented.

I do wish I could send this back to soda stream and have them modify the carbonation bursts so that each pulse is much smaller and that it waits more time between bursts. Since I have a Fizz that I can use in the mean time, that is what I think I will do. Send the darn thing back and ask them to reprogram it.

I have not tried the Source but it says in locks in the bottle with a single push of a button. If it does that and then allows for manual carbonation that would be the winner.

Bottom line is that I cannot believe they spent so little time getting the carbonation cycle process correct. I do not believe that the Revolution is worth the money.

BTW on the Fizz: For me the Fizz chip never did track the carbonation properly. You must make a very firm press for the Fizz chip to see that you have pressed the lever. However, the unit is solid and can make a very, very heavily carbonated drink with less CO2 use than the Revolution.

Very disappointed in the Revolution However, I do prefer the sodastream flavors and the Flavorstation flavors to most of the soda from the stores. Part of taste is what you are used to.
11 comment62 of 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2013
Mine is the version sold by Williams-Sonoma, all nickel. It was an a upgrade from the Dynamo sold at Costco bought years ago. I really like the Sodastream Revolution, it looks really cool. Yes it does seam to go through the Co2 faster but the soda has the fizz of store bought soda which my other machine didn't so I'm guessing more CO2 per bottle is being used. I use setting 3 for 1 Lt. and setting 2 for 1/2 Lt. bottles. It does work with the 1/2 lt. bottles but it's very tricky to get it seated right since it's much liter/smaller that 1 lt., better to use 1 lt. only. About the cost, the savings is not buying and transporting bottles round trip from the store saving gas and storage space. You make the soda fresh and what flavor like at the time using your own water source. The Co2 units aren't that big of a cost and ordering the larger ones from Sodastream web site isn't a big deal. They come to your house and just send the empty ones back, return packaging supplied and postage pre paid. Sodastream machine is just a carbonator for water so you can use any flavoring you choose from any source. I really like the Sodastream Revolution, it looks like a professional machine, works very well and gives you more control over what you drink. Well worth the cost.

to fix the freezing Co2 problem you need to let the bottle site 10 to 15 seconds after setting it in the machine before carbonating the water, it brings the tip to the same temp as the water and fixes that problem of freezing Co2. It seams you can no longer send empty tanks UPS or FedEx so forget ordering refills from Sodastream Web site. It does list stores in your area that sell refill tanks but not all carry the larger 130L ones.
44 comments12 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have only owned this machine for a few days, so I can only give a basic overview so far. I will come back to update though, if I run into any problems or have any further thoughts.

Before using SodaStream Revolution the first time, you must insert the Co2 canister. This is a very quick and easy process. You just pop off the back panel and sit the canister into the base. You then tip the machine slightly foward which allows the canister to drop down through the bottom a bit, then you push the canister top up into a "socket" and turn to tighten. Put the back on the machine again and that's that.

Next, plug the machine in.

Next, push and hold the "reset" button for a few seconds until you hear a beep. This resets the Co2 level indicator. If you do not do this, the indicator will show that the canister is empty.

You can see the Co2 level on the lcd screen. It shows like battery indicator or reception bars on a cell phone. If you have all the bars, the C02 is full. It will lose bars as the canister empties.

Using the SodaStream is very easy and only takes literally a few seconds. It says it is best to fill the bottles first and chill them in the refridgerator. Our water is pretty darn cold, so for me, using water straight from the faucet is fine. We do keep extra bottles filled with water in the fridge though, just to have nice and cold and ready.

I did not have any issue with the tip freezing, as others have mentioned. I am thinking this is caused by overfilling the bottles, maybe? There is a fill line on the bottles. You do not fill them completely.

To carbonate the bottle of water, you simply pull the tip forward, place the bottle under the tip, so that the tip is in the bottle and then push the bottle up. It locks into place and then you press the bottle back toward the machine. You do not have to screw the bottle on or anything like that. It is super simple.

This machine has 4 carbonation levels. I personally prefer to use the 4th setting, although the 3rd isn't bad either. I like a lot of "bite" in my soda, I like a lot of carbonation. Different flavors actually taste better (or worse) with different levels of carbonation. In the instruction manual, it actually has a small graph to show which flavors taste best with which level, but really that will be all up to you and what you like.

Once the bottle is in place on the machine, you simply press the button for which carbonation level you want. It takes a few seconds as it puts 1, 2, 3, or 4 bursts of carbonation in the bottle. It is a little loud, but not as loud a vacuum cleaner or anything like that. When using level 4, I hear a sort of whine or whistle with a few of the bursts. This doesn't last long at all. A second at a time, I'd estimate.

After the carbonation is done, you pull the bottle forward and remove it. Now you put in the desired flavor. I bought a few of the sampler packs. There are 12 flavors in each for $10. Each sample only makes 1 bottle, so it is almost a dollar per bottle, when using the sampler pack. It is a nice way to try all of the flavors and find out which ones you like, but rather expensive. The bottles of flavor that you buy, won't last too long either. It takes a good bit of flavoring per bottle. I don't see why you couldn't add maybe frozen concentrate or the single use flavor packets that you add to bottled water. I plan on trying many different ideas and see what all works. I am REALLY curious if I could fill one of the bottles with wine and carbonate it lol. Not sure if I want to try it and ruin the machine or experience an explosion etc.

So far, all of the flavors are pretty good. No, it won't taste EXACTLY like Coke or Pepsi, but you can't expect it to. All of the flavors taste exactly like a regular store bought soda though. There are diet versions as well and they all have the typical "diet" artificial flavor.

There are soooo many flavors available. I am really interested in trying more. There are even cocktail type flavors.

The Co2 cartrisge for this machine is $30, but you can also use the smaller cartrige at $15.

Overall, neat idea. Machine works great so far. Drinks are good. Carbonation selector is very nice to have. Makes drinks quickly and easily. Kids love it. Nice to be able to grab a soda whenever you'd like without a trip to the store. We do not drink soda regularly, but it is nice to have on hand when we do want to.

The machine is rather slim and does not take up much space at all on the counter. Replacement bottles are available at about 10 dollars per bottle. The bottles for this machine are taller than the bottles for other machines, so I am not sure if they are interchangeable or not.

I give it 5 stars so far. I will update as needed.

EDIT TO ADD- The c02 cartridges for this machine are $30, but you can take your empty cartridges to BedBathBeyond and exchange it for a new, full bottle for $15. This saves a lot of money, as it seems I run out of the c02 pretty quickly when using the SodaStream on level 4 a few times a week.
22 comments21 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2014

However a few caveats:

1) People are reporting that water leaks around the unit when it is carbonating. From my experience owning this model. This is due to a combination of user error and design problem. Here is two scenarios:

Water leaks around 1L bottle: I've never had problems with this. The times that water leaks around the bottle for me is when I fill the bottles with TOO MUCH WATER. Do not fill above the fill line labelled on the bottle. If you do add excessive amounts of water, the water WILL escape through the pressure release and soak the surrounding area. This is especially a problem if you just change the CO2 canister and the pressure is higher than an nearly empty canister.

Water leaks around a 0.5L bottle: This is most likely due to design problems. Water WILL leak around my bottles even if you only fill to the fill line. This is probably due to the fact that these bottles are smaller and there is less room for the water to splash around during the carbonation. What I found works is to fill below the "warning" word right below the fill line (which is about 1.5 cm below the fill line). Adding to about 1.5 cm below the fill line completely solved my problem. If it is still an issue for you, you can choose to add less water. But this is an inherent flaw in the design of the bottles and not so much with the sodastream revolution.

The other issue is that I have noticed this soda maker uses MORE CO2 than my manual carbonator. You can choose to have the machine give your drinks less carbonation. However, for me I bought a sodamod Overall impression: This is a great product and a large improvement over the base models. I previously own a sodastream genesis that was manually operated. The quick snap bottle attachment feature alone makes this model a worth upgrade. However, this feature can be had on the sodastream source for less! The advantage of this model is the automated carbonation. I personally think this is worth the extra cash ($100 versus 130) and it impresses the guests! You press a button and the whole carbonation process is done for you. I bought my sodastream revolution for 129.99 shipped on sale and I think the extra 30 dollars you pay for this model is worth it.

However a few caveats:

The other issue is that I have noticed this soda maker uses MORE CO2 than my manual carbonator. You can choose to have the machine give your drinks less carbonation. However, for me I bought the "sodamod" that is sold on amazon for $60 dollars ($20 dollars on ebay from CO2 docs). I refill my 20 oz tanks for 3 dollars a pop. So "wasting" CO2 is pennies on the dollar for me.

Overall:

Pros:
Quick bottle attachment is awesome
Carbonation at the press of a button
Looks awesome

Cons:
Wastes CO2
Water leak on 0.5L bottles (make sure not to overfill bottles)
on March 7, 2013
I bought this because my husband and I drink a lot of sparkling water. I have little plans on actually using this to drink soda (I did try the diet root beer syrup and was pleasantly surprised). I will say that I think this model is over priced. Our water does not get very fizzy but I am a person who wants bubbles. I want my nose to be tickled when I go to take a sip. Even with the high bubble setting it, it seems hit or miss on the amount of carbonation I am getting. And we have burned through the CO2 cartridge pretty quickly. Looking back, I do not think I would buy this product. After the initial excitement wore off I find myself somewhat irritated at the price versus quality. Perhaps I need to tweak with it to get my bubbles to the amount I like but as of right now...eh. I will say: if you buy this thinking it will save your family money versus buying soda, I do not think it will. A 1L bottle is enough for my husband and myself. So if you have more than two people planning on drinking, I dont think the cost effectiveness is there. I will say I do like that this came with a sample pack to try. Otherwise, I find myself disappointed with this purchase.
11 comment8 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2014
Love this! It is fantastic! The sweetner in the soda is natural without all the adverse side effects as the aspertame and the taste is great! Prefer the dishwasher safe bottles. Love being able to pick how much fizz I want in my drinks!
on April 15, 2014
Makes great carbonated water. Bought this as a gift for my wife, who drinks lots of carbonated water. She uses it often. We tried some of the sample flavors and those were good.