1,043 of 1,091 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a real man, you'll wear these
Published on December 10, 2012 by Ryan Gibson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price
I purchased these shorts for Bikram yoga. Rather than yoga shorts, I usually buy running shorts from Nike or Adidas, which tend to be reasonably short, allow freedom of movement, and be made of technical moisture-wicking fabric.

The nylon material these shorts are made of does not feel as nice as the fabric Nike and Adidas use, and it does not handle large...
Published on June 17, 2011 by New York Reader

1,043 of 1,091 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a real man, you'll wear these, December 10, 2012
I am a United states Marine stationed in Cairo, Egypt and let me tell you, these shorts are the best thing to happen to me since the creation of democracy. Nothing screams freedom like your bits and pieces being gently cradled by these justice inducing booty shorts while your downstairs mix-up is thrust into the face of every angry protester and nut job you see as they grimace with jealousy. I especially love to duo these buttocks displaying power pants with a skin tight American flag tank-top. If you love bald eagles, freedom, and flexing your quads at strangers for the simple pleasure of gauging their reaction, then i highly encourage you to hop on the freedom train and purchase these shorts. They do not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the shy nudist, April 30, 2012
Let's put this out in the open first, since many of the negative reviewers are getting their shorts in a bunch over it-- the Soffe men's running shorts are short. Very short. Even their product description on Amazon says as much: "This running short is cut to a small 2.25 inches inseam for the seious runner looking for a true training fundamental." (In case you're wondering, a "seious runner" is a runner who likes to be seen, and so, one who is not afraid to show the lower ridges of his cheeks even if there's some shrubbery growing on them. And a "true training fundamental" is a fundamental who's engaged in a program to train him to handle the truth; I'm not sure why the seious runner is looking for such a fundamental.) If your decorum prevents you from tawdry displays, your time is better spent not purchasing these shorts instead of buying a pair and then complaining about it, though I am not one to slam the cathartic powers of self-righteousness.

I bought two pairs of these shorts about ten months ago, and I've used them for running on & off since then. They are so thin and light it's easy to forget they're actually on. In fact, much to my surprise, I seem to have them on right now. They're great for writing reviews, but they're even better for running. I have used my Soffes in two running capacities. On scorching summer days, I wear them on their own. And on moderate-to-cold days, I wear them over compression shorts (which challenge my modesty on a more frontal end). That's right! These Soffes shield AND flaunt! If that's not versatility, I don't know what is.

The nylon fabric is gauzy and silky, not quite moisture-wicking, but quick to dry nevertheless. After weekly runs in the washer and dryer, the fabric is starting to pill in places; however, given how thin it is, I expected there to be gaping holes in the nylon by now. The fabric's integrity remains strong, even if mine degenerates in such wear.

There have been complaints about the absence of drawstrings; for me, that's a plus, since elastics have always been plenty strong to keep shorts up. Drawstrings end up dangling and bouncing, and I don't want any dangling and bouncing in the groin area while I run. The waistband elastic remains as strong and comfy as the day I bought the shorts. By the way, my waist size is usually 34, and the Soffe medium shorts fit just right.

There's a key pouch tucked under the front elastic, just big enough for a single key (unless your front door requires a skeleton key, in which case you should first change your locks and then start running). Don't count on stuffing your smartphone or a baby kangaroo in the pouch, let alone keys on keychains. The pouch is minimal. There may be room for a key and a quarter, in case you run too far, buoyed by this feeling of unbearable lightness, and you need to call a cab home. Tip re key: if you place your key tip downward in the wee pouch, it's likely that the up/down tapping will tear an opening in the fabric, as one reviewer experienced. Instead, place the key bow-side (i.e. handle-side) down.

Now go, run, show the world your hidden talents.

5.0 out of 5 stars EMBRACE THE SILKIES!, August 25, 2013
This review is from: Soffe Men's Running Short (Apparel)
If you have not experienced these shorts, they will change your life. Whether you're looking for a short for running, working out, or even every day underwear, GET THESE SHORTS! They have a long standing cult following in the U.S. Marines Corps, and even have their own fanpage on Facebook with thousands of devoted followers ([...] Do your running shorts have a facebook page? I doubt it.

There are plenty of reviews for these shorts, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't help support them like they've supported me over the last 15 years. It does take a certain kind of courage to wear these shorts in public, but even if you don't rock them alone, they're the best choice for a daily undergarment, especially in the summer heat/desert combat environment.

These are $11.24 right now and prime eligible for free shipping. Even if you buy them direct from Soffe, they're $12.99 plus shipping. These used to be sold on base for 8 bucks a pair, but even now if you can find them at your exchange, they're $12.

They last forever. I think I still have a couple of my original pairs from the 90's. The elastic never wears out, and they hold up pretty well under all sorts of conditions. One word of caution though, keep them away from velcro. They are made of nylon, so they do snag and can get "runs" in them. Of the dozens of pairs that I've owned, the common failure after several years of constant wear for me is the inner liner, but this is usually after 60+ daily wears plus running, swimming, etc. Some of mine have discolored in chlorine, and if you wear them often in the sun, they will fade to a nice salty seafoam color. They look great on guys and gals. In fact, most of my female Marines prefer them for running.

The biggest difference between these shorts and a lot of the competition is the nylon material, the waistband, and the option of only 3 manly colors on Amazon (Soffe also makes a Gun Metal version). The waistband is not the typical elastic waistband that you might be used to. It's VERY thin and comfortable on these shorts. It will also last you a long, long time (I can't ever remember having the waistband fail on me). The nylon tricot material actually seems to be hard to find these days in other running shorts. Most of today's shorts are made out of the so called "dri-fit" polyester or microfiber. In my opinion, the dri fit shorts are great, but the waistbands are always thicker, and the shorts themselves just are not as comfortable as these, especially if you're wearing them under something else. These shorts, like others, advertise a key pocket, but I never felt confident using it, and if I had to take a key with me, I think threading it through my laces is a better option anyway.

Here's some product info and an accurate sizing chart so you can say my review was helpful:

-Adult size

MENS WAIST 32-34: MEDIUM
MENS WAIST 36-38: LARGE
MENS WAIST 40-42: X-LARGE
MENS WAIST 44-46: XX-LARGE

My two cents: you can be at least 2 inches over the recommendation for each size. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome shorts for serious runners!!, March 26, 2011
This review is from: Soffe Men's Running Short (Apparel)
I'm a long distance runner and i own about 8 pairs of these shorts. I really love them, they are by far the best pair of running shorts that I have ever owned, and I have spent a lot of money on shorts over the years. I've owned a half dozen different brands of running shorts over the years, the cheapest being somewhere around 20 dollars, none come close to the comfort of these shorts. I am a minimalist runner and these are perfect. I have had issues with the liner shredding on a few pairs. However, shorts still work just fine, just breath better now. I have to say I would only recommend these for serious runners, as novice runners tend to be insecure about showing a little leg and don't like the bare feeling these shorts offer. I wear these running, to the gym, around the house, to bed, you name it. If you want to run well your legs need freedom to move and these do just that. You can buy 2 pair of these shorts for the price of 1 of most brands and with Prime shipping you really cant go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars heaven in my shorts!!, September 2, 2013
Homer simpson drooling over donuts is how i feel in these heavenly crotch containers.
the fit around my waist is like your sweet sweet lady gently wrapping her hands around your waist not wanting to let go.

The length of these wander man shorts says HEY! i am a confident man that is so confident that i like to show the most powerful muscles on my delicious body.... the quads or as i like to call them my squat pistons. Running? psshh how far? I says in these hammy glancers.

How's the fit on my man meat you ask? Omg! Its like every asian massage parlor with the most gentle of hands was absorbed in a crystal ball by a mad wizard and then enchanted these wonderful creations from heaven with that same crystal ball.

I MAKE BACON IN THESE SHORTS!! enough said. buy them. wear them. accept them into your life. only then will you see the light.

5.0 out of 5 stars They're like catnip for skanks, January 1, 2014
This review is from: Soffe Men's Running Short (Apparel)
They're like catnip, but for skanks. As soon as you put them on, you become America's throbbing muscle of justice. Your squat will go up 200 lbs and you will run like the wind blows.

- must be taken with 3 scoops of C4 and 40 g of protein

5.0 out of 5 stars Semper Silky!, March 5, 2014
This review is from: Soffe Men's Running Short (Apparel)
Crank up ACDC's "Thunderstruck" and release the eagles! Your next period of instruction will be on how these shorts (silkies) are the greatest piece of warfighting gear in America's arsenal.

Prepare yourself before you attempt to put on silkies. All that cool stuff you see in Axe commercials where broads are magnetically drawn to you WILL happen. As soon as you pull up these glorious Devil Dog holders your balls feel like they are lightly being cupped by angels. Not too tight, not to loose. Soffe has found the golden ratio between the two in order to maximize comfort and allow for the perfect amount of "dong flop" while running. Whether you're rocking an M2 .50 cal or a 9mm of patriotism in your pants, it will receive attention. When passing a civilian wearing these they will help themselves to an eyeful and after all who can blame them? Marines in silkies? Those are their finest tax dollars well spent. These aren't your I'm self conscious PT shorts, no no no. Silkies allow you to show off all the creamy white thighs people can handle.

Nothing keeps Marines swift, silent and deadly like silkies. Whether you plan on attacking Fallujah or some broads southern chow hall Silkies will not let you down. The aerodynamic benefits of silkies is what defeated AQI and put the Tali down. Freedom unleashed at literally neck break speed. If you don't love silkies you must be a communist.

Rah.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for working out and running., January 12, 2011
This review is from: Soffe Men's Running Short (Apparel)
I bought these shorts to wear over my compression shorts as I try to get in better shape. I like them quite a bit. They fit good, look good, and are good quality. I plan on buying a few more colors later on. Lastly, the waist measure is about perfect. If you are between sizes, I would upsize.

5.0 out of 5 stars Green Ranger Panties, January 1, 2014
This review is from: Soffe Men's Running Short (Apparel)
A knock off of the black booty shorts preferred by the US Army's barrel-chested freedom fighters around the world, this green Marine version of the "Ranger Panty" is every bit as comfortable and effective. Whether you're jogging down Main Street or administering some democracy to Terry Taliban with your belt-fed .50 caliber machine gun, these bad boys are guarunteed to keep your freedom-boner in check. Do you struggle with excessively muscular quadriceps? These shorts are for you! Are you too well endowed for normal shorts? These shorts are for you! If you want to leave absolutely nothing to the imagination for anyone around you, buy these shorts. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars almost like wearing nothing, January 31, 2011
This review is from: Soffe Men's Running Short (Apparel)
These are the best I've found so far in my quest to feel as if I running in nothing without embarrassing anyone. The liner is low and loose, and the fabric is crazy light weight. The sides are not split, but the fabric is so light that I don't even notice this when running. No chaffing or durability problems so far. The price is amazing! My only other shorts that have come close to this comfort cost $50. My only complaint is that the only pocket is an internal key pocket so ultra tiny that I cannot get my key in it unless I take it off the ring. I'm sure they could make that key pocket 1-2 cm larger without increasing the price.

Soffe Men's Running Short