5.0 out of 5 stars Soirée, a KEEPER!!
Published 13 months ago by Mima

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good
Published on October 7, 2012 by Epicurean Goddess

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, October 7, 2012
This review is from: Soiree: Entertaining with Style (Hardcover)
You won't find much new or exciting entertaining advice in this book. The advice is fairly standard: send an interesting invitation, spend time with your guests, have a nice bar and good food, etc. All of this has been said ad nauseam in countless other books. I also was not particularly impressed with the photography, but that's just because I'm not really a fan of picture books. Others who look through this book might actually like what they see. There are plenty of pictures of finished food dishes and also table settings. It could help some who are just learning how to put these kinds of things together.

What I enjoyed very much about this book are the menus. They fit perfectly with the party themes, and some (but not all) of the recipes are provided. That was somewhat of a pet peeve for me as well. I feel like all of the recipes should have been provided if they're going to be listed in the menu. The menus have lots of flair, so guests can enjoy something beyond the ordinary. So far, I have tried two recipes from the book. First, I tried the Herb-crusted wild salmon, morel mushrooms, wild greens, and red wine fumet. I made a few adjustments. I used arugula and spinach instead of the suggested dandelions, beet greens, and purslane. I didn't feel like hunting down wild, exotic greens. It was a very good dish. Second, I tried the crab samosa with truffle mayonnaise. I did not make truffle mayonnaise; I made a more affordable herbed mayonnaise. It was very good. Yes, many of the recipes are expensive to make. But, I expected that from a socialite's book; there's even a recipe for very upscale s'mores! You can make modifications for more affordable recipes; I know I'll be doing that a lot.

If you enjoy reading cookbooks or seeing how other people entertain, then you should give this book a try. If you're expecting practical party advice and average recipes, then this may not be a great book for you. I'm happy to have it in my collection.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not informative, October 2, 2013
J. Miller (Grosse Pointe, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soiree: Entertaining with Style (Hardcover)
After reading previous reviews about "Soiree...", I hesitated to order the book. But I did, and now I'm disappointed. Instead of being filled with "strategies and tips," as the book jacket describes, it seems to be more self-serving than anything. Danielle gets the spotlight with many photos -- she IS beautiful! -- and the book showcases several venues as well as her home, its furnishings, tables, accessories, etc., etc. But the book really doesn't assist others with throwing fetes and celebrations. And the menus and recipes seem a bit pretentious for the home cook looking to treat her guests to a special meal. Plus, Danielle uses hired chefs to create these meals; something the ordinary hostess does not readily call upon. Basically, I learned nothing useful. Just a lot of pretty pictures to look at, and a glimpse at how one wealthy hostess entertains. Sort of a Carolyne Roehm wannabe without the true talent of Carolyne.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soirée, a KEEPER!!, December 17, 2013
Mima (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soiree: Entertaining with Style (Hardcover)
Bought this book for my sister-in-law's 60th birthday. She is an event planner and says she can't put it down because it has so many ideas, helpful tips, recipes and beautiful pictures of table settings, decor, food and more. This book was $50 at Gumps and she put it back so when I received an email from Amazon with a picture of it, I knew it was meant to be a gift to her from me and she loves this "keeper".

5.0 out of 5 stars I would buy it again, December 16, 2013
Linda H. Fleming (Warrenton, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soiree: Entertaining with Style (Hardcover)
Yes, this is a nice book on entertaining. It is fun to sit down with it for ideas and recipes.. I would purchase it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, September 16, 2013
This review is from: Soiree: Entertaining with Style (Hardcover)
Entertaining with Style has great ideas. Great photographs. Most of the ideas are a bit pricey though. Recipes could be a little better.

5.0 out of 5 stars great ideas and great recipes, July 24, 2013
This review is from: Soiree: Entertaining with Style (Hardcover)
This book is full of beautiful pictures and inspiring ideas for entertaining. We don't all have such a gorgeous setting for our parties, but there are still good suggestions that anyone can use. All the recipes I've tried so far were delicious.

2.0 out of 5 stars MUCH ADO ABOUT NOT MUCH, May 13, 2014
This review is from: Soiree: Entertaining with Style (Hardcover)
Not a very interesting book - there are better out there. I would go for a Martha Stewart book rather than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soiree is an inspiration to "use the good stuff", October 9, 2012
This review is from: Soiree: Entertaining with Style (Hardcover)
Soiree Entertaining with Style is exactly that! What a gorgeous resource to have at your fingertips. Just seeing this beautiful book on my coffee table puts a smile on my face and gets me in the party spirit. This book is worth purchasing even just for the pictures, although her writing is so inviting as well! In this day and age, it is easy to rush through life and our time with our friends and family, and this book is a lovely reality check to "use the good stuff" more often while we still can! Rollins has a true gift in her vision & execution for a party, and as a reader you feel like one of her guests. I have read this book cover to cover, and unlike a novel, this is a book I will crack open several times throughout the year: when I am planning a party and need inspiration, when I am having an off-day and need a pick-me-up, and when I just want to relax and feel that all is right with the world! Thank you, Danielle Rollins, for sharing your passion for throwing great parties! You are right, everyday should be a Soiree!

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaning With Style, June 14, 2014
This review is from: Soiree: Entertaining with Style (Hardcover)
I bought this book because I was an event planner and even though I am no longer working I still love to plan personal events and get togethers....This has been my go to book every time I plan a get together - be it small - large - fancy or simple...I love the pictures and all the helpful hints the book provides ...I have copied many of the table settings and the flowers arrangements for my own tables...The recipes are amazing and all the menu's provided are wonderful. This is not a cheap book but worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, June 9, 2014
2cute4wrds (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soiree: Entertaining with Style (Hardcover)
I loved this book! It makes you want to start cooking, polish that silver and iron those napkins! Let the fun begin...

Soiree: Entertaining with Style
Soiree: Entertaining with Style by Danielle Rollins (Hardcover - October 2, 2012)
$50.00 $38.97