4.0 out of 5 stars Great product
Published on March 27, 2012 by Jeremy R Jordan

3.0 out of 5 stars Recharging works in a pinch, flashlight works great
Bought this for a 5 day backcountry ski trip. The XTG did get a recharge in the sun, and it did recharge my phone somewhat. I only give it 3 stars because it does not have enough power to recharge my phone to even 50%. So it works, and I will use it again, but it was not quite as successful as I hoped.

More positively, the built in flashlight works great and...
Published on February 13, 2012 by My2Cents

3.0 out of 5 stars Recharging works in a pinch, flashlight works great, February 13, 2012
This review is from: Solar Portable Battery Pack with Flashlight and Lantern - Ideal for Charging iPhone, iPod, MP3, Droid, Smartphones, and Other USB Powered Devices - Unit Great for Camping, Hiking, and Other Outdoor Activites (Electronics)

More positively, the built in flashlight works great and can be used for a surprisingly long time. I would give that function 5 stars, but my main purpose was recharging my phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, March 27, 2012
I bought this in order to charge my Droid Razer and it does great. I use my razer outdoors in conjuction with the Delorme Inreach so my phone dies fairly quickly. This helps out alot. The clasp on the top of the device is maybe more for hanging the charger in the sun but i wouldnt recommend clipping it to a pack and expect it to be there later. The lights on the device are very bright and basically take away the need to pack a flashlight. Great product for a very reasonable price. I hope this review helps you in you decision to buy or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feature rich, but best for emegency use when charging devices, September 20, 2012
I'm surprised this does not have better reviews, but it may be due to expectations of the unit. No the solar will not charge your phone to 100%, this unit is for emergency use and can potentially charge your device up to 50% under the best scenario. I did my own tests with the unit and using an extended phone battery was able to recharge it to 20% quickly if the unit was left outside on a normal sunny day. I dropped the unit from a height of 3 feet on to a hard surface and it landed on its side. Where it hit the orange plastic piece popped out and was easily snapped back into place. I retested all the features multiple times, including the solar function and noticed no issues with the unit.

In my opinion, for such a small unit it comes with multiple useful features and can keep you connected or give you enough power to make the necessary calls needed in many types of scenarios. While there may be other choices for an emergency or solar charger, this unit is small and lightweight, which is perfect for those who are concerned about the amount of weight they carry, especially in a backpack.

Pros:

Cost
Small size
Lightweight
Multiple features and options for charging

Cons:

Devices may recharge up to 50% under the best scenario, but expect more of a 20-40% range with most devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Depends on user!, July 12, 2012
Been using this charger/flashlight for 6 months now.

5 MINUTE REVIEW (10 second review is below)
==================
CHARGER:

Has 1 USB port like on computers and 1 micro USB port like on your everyday android smartphone. The cable that it comes with plugs into both of these USB ports so you can use it as a parallel charger (charge the charger and your phone same time). Just plug your phone charger in the solar charger's micro port, then plug the cable from the regular usb port on the solar charger and the other end of the cable to your phone. Now both are devices are being charged simultaneously!

This device charges my android once and dies. Good, considering it's only 2 AA batteries and a .25W solar panel. It takes 2 days (YES I SAID TWO) of FULL sunlight for this to get to 75% charged. Which is also only as much as the solar panel can charge it. So unless you charge it like you charge your phone (via USB or AC outlet) then the charge LED will never go green (100%). The best conditions to use this in, POWER OFF your phone, charge the phone while the panel is in full sunlight, remove when phone is done to stop trickle, and you might be able to charge twice this way.

Charging non-droid phones you can do about 5 no problem. I have a verizon flip and a tracfone slider and they never drain the battery in the charger. They also have a 3 week standby where as a droid usually has about a day. So, if you got a cheap phone then this is a great buy for you!

FLASHLIGHT:

Beam is bright and with built in pocket clip on opposite end can illuminate a whole room when clipped to a backpack or belt loop for hands free operation. First click = Beam, second = SOS beam, third = 10 LED lantern bright, fourth = 10 LED lantern dim, fifth = OFF. I clipped the light to the center roof part of my tent and left it on all night from around 6pm until 6am. I forgot to put it in the sun that day and went back to it that evening again figuring it would be dead. To my surprise it actually lasted another whole night. So 24 hrs with the 1 LED beam.

The 10 LED lantern on the other hand is a lot brighter in smaller areas, easier on the eyes for reading, but drains the battery faster too. On the bright setting I got about 8 hrs constant before it started it's slow dim to dead process (which took about another hour or two before it fully died). On the dim setting, you can expect to get 12 to 16 hours before it starts dim(mer) to dead.

OTHER INFO:

If you want to prolong the life of this device, let it die COMPLETELY, then charge it FULLY (USB or AC). And by fully, I mean turn the lantern on high and let it run out if it needs it. Doing this will give the batteries inside it longer battery memory.

Also, you could upgrade the batteries in it by unscrewing the 4 tiny phillips screws. Sanyo 2700mah AA batteries (which are sold here on AMAZON) would pretty much double your devices life, but ALSO DOUBLE it's charge time. Well worth it if you want to use it for high powered devices like portable cameras or android phones or if you just want to store a larger charge for your other devices.

10 SECOND REVIEW
==================
Android - Emergency Power Supply Barely...
Mifi 2200- Again, barely enough to charge once.
12MP Camera - Some have 4 AA high powered batteries in them and this charger has two weak ones. Do the math. Not happening without upgrade.
Motorola LR-Radios - Charges 3 - 5 per day.
Non-Android Phone - Very good product for traveling, multiple charges...
Flashlight beam/SOS - 24 hours of constant light or emergency signaling (that's figuring you don't let it see sun during the day, if you do charge it then it should go almost indefinitely.)
Flashlight lantern bright/dim - 8/16 hours constant light. (Same disclaimer as above, charge it and it should go indefinitely.)
REMEMBER: All this device has is 2 AA rechargeable batteries in it. Total each battery it's about 1300ma solar charged or 1800ma when charged via USB or AC. So if you can, charge it with your phone charger until the light turns green for the highest possible charge strength. Upgrade will take if from 1300-1800 to 2000-2700mah each battery. See longer review for more details how to upgrade.

Only CON is no color options. Although the bright orange does make it highly visible and easy to find. So it's kinda a PRO so you don't lose it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, January 16, 2012
I received this on time and in perfect condition, thanks for that. I wanted a product exactly like this for charging my T-mobile my touch 4g. When using the gps on the phone my phone battery dies within just a few hours. I fully charged it after receiving it and the battery light turned red when charging and turned green when fully charged. I then started charging my phone which was nearly dead and after approx 3 hours the recharging device died and the red indicator went out. I then plugged the charger in to my computer via usb and left it overnight (approx 10 hours). The red light is still on and its not fully charged. (I just figured it would charge after like 5 hours). I tried charging it using the solar panel but the charging indicator would not come on. All in all I think it lacks the performance I was looking for but for $30 maybe I expected to much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs, May 25, 2012
I have an Android phone that will barely last 18 hours without a recharge. I needed something to keep me in touch for at least another 18 hours. I camp, and when fully charged, this battery pack will give me a full weekend without going through extreme measures to save my phones battery.

The solar charger works, but is not very effective while I hike. But it will charge itself in FULL sunlight after about 12 hours. If you are expecting this to be a way to run any electronic device using the sun, I'll tell you now... It won't.

1.0 out of 5 stars It never charged, January 5, 2013
I'm sending this back because it never charged. I may have just gotten a defective one I dont know. The directions were kind of a joke so ....

1.0 out of 5 stars Solar Portable Battery Pack - not working well, July 30, 2012
After an initial charge from the USB port on my laptop, the battery pack only worked for a few minutes, then would not work again. I left the battery pack in the sun for many hours to try and recharge, thinking I did something wrong. I could not get the device to recharge from strictly solar power. Thus I was unable to use it for the entire legth of time of my 8 day camping trip. Once I returned home, I was able to recharge the device again on my laptop, and now appears to have a charge stored. I will try again to leave the device in the sun to recharge from a solar source, but I'm not too confident about relying on this device for my next trip.

2.0 out of 5 stars Still looking for a good portable solar charger!, April 22, 2012
I bought this Solar Portable Battery Pack with Flashlight and Lantern so that I could charge my phones and other small electronics using power from the sun! I have had this item for a few months now and here is what I think of it. See my title above that should tell you all there is about this being a solar charger.

While the flashlight and lantern part works really well I still can't get much of a charge from the solar panel. For solar charging, the charging indicator light should come on if you put this in the sun (red if it is below full charge and green when it is full). My indicator no longer works for solar charging.

For USB charging, the indicator works the same way as for solar charging. After initially charging this to full charge which took really long over 8 hours. I have had this thing take over 4 hours, to less than 1 hour to charge (since it doesn't have a battery level indicator). Charging via usb seems to work fine though, and my charging indicator still works in this mode.

Update:
A while ago the micro USB receptacle broke and I am no longer able to charge it via micro USB.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful for any outdoor/unplugged application, March 14, 2012
Chad Colman (Brunswick, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this intending to use it to keep a smart phone working as a trail GPS and it worked spectacularly well. I was actually pretty surprised at the long life on the battery and its effectiveness. The solar recharging and plugged in recharging works extremely well and the additional features make it an excellent tool on and off the trail. With its two outputs it can charge pretty much anything and its solar and USB inputs allow it to charge pretty much anywhere. I was very impressed. I keep it hanging from my rear view mirror when I don't have it outdoors.

Rate and Discover Movies