Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on March 25, 2015
Thought the book would be more hard hitting for Atheism; and against Theism. There seems to be a "Milk Toast Approach" to religion and its failure to bring him into it. He shows a longing, for the lack of faith, he would need to enter this delusional life of the christian. Sorry Hemant, but I think you miss the point of religion. Its not only communal; and that's everything, (its not). Everything means the myth has to be true along with their (a) god and their god is not real. So ends the search for the perfect christian church. I do not recommend this book. If you need a good night sleep this will do it, Or if the book is Free.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2012
After a while a person like myself who constantly reads intellectually sound atheists such as Graham Oppy, William Rowe, Michael Tooley, Albert Camus, Fredrick Neitzsche, Karl Popper, Thomas Nagel, Stephen Law, Peter Millican, JL Mackie, and Michael Ruse takes a break and reads a popular level book that is written by an atheist.

Will here we have Hemant Mehta the leader of the friendly atheists (a blog that rarely says anything positive about Christians, but yet he considers himself fair and 'friendly'), a guy who is worse off than the likes of Richard Dawkins when it comes to making arguments against the existence of God. I desperately plead for atheists to learn the basics of philosophy, but it doesn't seem to be sinking in.

His whole argument can be summed up as follows in this book:

'I don't like the evangelical church, therefore God does not exist'

He just throws out Catholicism and the Eastern Orthodox church while he is at it.

This book (in which I didn't read as a whole) is more about complaining about how fundy Christians that grew up with Bible-Belt Theology and how he hates Christians who use "hell" in their argumentation. This goes with hardly any effort at looking at a premier Christian scholar or philosopher for help. J.P Moreland is the only exception, but the topic being discussed was horrific.

So my question to Hemant is, if all the Christians in the world were nice and did things the way you wanted, would this make Theism correct?

He constantly attacks Bible-Belt Theology as if it is represented by all Christians in the world. All I hear is "so you believe this? why?" well Mr. Strawman how about looking a bit deeper on what people actually believe?

Just because a church does something you don't agree with, this doesn't make Christianity less likely to be true. Judging a worldview by it's social impacts is philosophically naive.

For a guy that supposedly studied religion, I kind of wonder why he hasn't kept up to date with today's arguments for the existence of God. I highly doubt that he has ever heard of Alexander Pruss or Richard Swinburne, but for him it probably makes himself feel safe that he attacks 'Fundy Bible-Belt Christianity'.

According to the author, Ted Haggard's view of Christianity = what Christianity is all about. Also, Supposedly "Exclusivism is true" and this subject on inclusivism vs. exclusivism has already been settled.

I for one will disagree with Hemant's bare assertion supported by faith that Christians never read books by atheists (as you can see in my opening paragraph I actually read the BEST at what they have to offer). Just look at a Peer-reviewed article refuting a claim made by an atheist philosopher as well and this will show that Hemant's assertion fails. In conclusion I believe Hemant should take his own advice and start reading some of the works by John Lennox and Alvin Plantinga, before he starts labeling Christian beliefs as he sees fit and telling us what we are supposed to argue about.

This is quite possibly the most intellectually dishonest book I have ever read, and not only that, I truly believe that one should be skeptical of Hemant's agenda concerning 'friendly atheism'. One could argue now that he planned this out to make Christians look bad by evading top-notch scholars, as he ignores the academic articles in philosophy journals, but takes popcorn pastors theology as if it is the best of what Christianity has to offer.

IMO people like this are getting away with dealing with criticism. I think it's important that this author backs up claims.
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse