Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sold: One Woman's True Account of Modern Slavery
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on August 2, 2006
I really enjoyed this book. The book that I read was just republished in the UK this year (2006), however I do not believe it included any new information. I read it in about 3 sittings which usually doesn't happen because I am way too busy, but this book was very enthralling.

The author describes how her father sold both her and her sister into Yemeni slavery. Ms. Muhsen describes how difficult her life was while she was a slave in Yemen. It was a miracle that she was able to get out. But she was forced to leave behind her son and sister.

It is very disappointing that this tragic story is not uncommon. The only thing that is uncommon about her story was that Ms. Muhsen and her sister are both British citizens, and the author thankfully was able to get out.

My only brief complaints are that the book was very crudely written. The author took very little care to ensure a level of continuity, and there were also several grammatical errors.

I look forward to reading the author's follow-up book!

[...]
33 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2005
Two British teenage girls born to Yemeni parents, who don't speak Arabic, are tricked by their sleazebag father and spineless mother into taking a "vacation" to Yemen to meet their extended family and get in touch with their heritage. The father sells his unsuspecting daughters as brides to a couple of jerks they've never met. They are forced to live in an isolated mountain village and suffer daily abuse.

I was frustrated by how little blame was assigned to the mother who was basically a passive participant. The mother had a total of seven children and the father had pulled the exact same kidnapping vacation subterfuge stunt years earlier with the older children.

Eventually, international efforts are mounted to rescue the two sisters who by now are mothers. The Yemeni government finally allows them to leave, but not with their children! They are also forced to undergo a waiting period and pregnancy tests to make sure they are not absconding with any Yemenite embryos. I bought this book in the airport in Kuala Lumpur and oddly it said on the cover, "not for sale in America."
88 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2008
I first encountered this book when a friend told me how great it was, and that both she and her sister had read it in only two days. I was intrigued, and borrowed it from my library - and I was enthralled. Not only is this a story wonderfully written, with a great flow that never lets you get bored, it is a TRUE story, one we should all be aware of. Living in Israel, a place so close to where this has taken place, I was especially touched by this book.
Zana and Nadia, two British sisters born to a Yemini father, are the third and fourth children in their family to be sold at a young age by their father to a distant, unknown village in Yemen for a certain sum of money. They are tricked, thinking they are leaving for a six-week vacation, where actually they are trapped, married at ages 15 and 16 to two Yemini boys. They are forced to work in awful conditions, have children from men they hate, take care of everyone around them, and be beaten nearly on a daily basis by their 'owners'. Zana is a fighter, however, and she does everything she can to escape from this hell and go back to England.
Things like this, the awful mistreatment, slavery (not just sex-slavery) and awful living conditons, DO in fact happen in countries like Yemen, Jordan and others. This is a great way of telling a true story, and still keeping the reader glued to his seat with his eyes bulging out at the book, amazed by what he is reading.
Zana Muhsen is a woman we should all admire - she was forced to change her life style and entire perception of life almost instantly. She is what kept her sister alive, the inspiration that we should all look up to for never giving up. No one should shy away from this book - it is a must.
on October 30, 2013
After reading this book I had to get the follow up book "A promise to Nadia". Hard to believe this stuff is still going on in this day and age. How can a father sell his daughters into slavery etc. This poor girl thought she was an American teenager, was suddenly sold into slavery "arranged marriage" in the Yemen where her father was from. She was raped and beaten on a regular basis and lied to about her chances of getting out and her chances of ever seeing her home again. Missing her mother and her friends her only friend was her sister who was shortly after also sold into slavery "arranged marriage" by their father to the same village in The Yemen. No running water or electricity. What a culture shock for these poor girls. Her sister never recovered emotionally from the trauma. A must read- both books. Very sad.
on November 19, 2003
This book is one of my favourite books that I have read, it is such an amazing book I would recommend this book to everyone and trust me you wont be disappointed, I read this book in 2 days and was sad because it was finished so i quickly went and bought the second part of this book which was Promise to Nadia which was great aswell. I am impatiently waiting for the next book by the same author. after you have read this you will think how lucky you are compared to other woman in this world!!! The author was great aswell as zana who this book is about, Buy it asap!!!
VINE VOICEon June 29, 2016
These stories are always difficult to read - young girls sold away to old men who will be their husbands. Yet I think it is important to know that this continues to happen in many places in the world. Zana never stopped fighting to go home and eventually, against all odds, was able to get out of her situation. Sadly, her sister did not, and it is unclear what ever happened to her. The photographs of the girls that are included in the book speak volumes as to their unhappiness.
on November 17, 2013
Poorly written and lacked organization. It was certainly the editors failure and not the authors. Ms.Muhsen has a great anf important story to tell but it was not presented with the power it cried out for.
on December 2, 2013
the ghost writer was able to capture and maintain the authors voice.....a grown woman with a simple vocabulary. just what you would expect from a girl held in yemen for all her young adult life. very sad, but not surprising....this happens all the time. we need to celebrate this young woman's resilience and adaptability......
on September 11, 2013
I found this book to be riveting; hard to believe that this kind of circumstances go on today. I am so happy that zt least one sister was able to break free and get out of her life of subjugation and servitude to a family and husband that purchased her like an animal or piece of furniture.

My heart goes out to the sister that due to circumstances and children was forced to remain in a life that was not of her choosing.

It's hard to believe that this kind of behavior still goes on and is considered normal in some parts of the world.
on October 20, 2015
Sold by Zana Muhsen is not the type of book I usually read. The book deals with the reality of life for far too many women in our world. Zana and her sister Nadia are British citizens who at age 15 and 14 were sold by their Muslim father to friends of his in the Yeman. Zana, thinking she was going on vacation, arrived in a remote desert village and was 'introduced' to her husband. She was kept against her will for over 8 years. She endured rape and slave labor.
Unfortunately this life is a reality for many women around the world. I will be praying daily for women in this situation. 'Sold' was very hard to read because of the subject matter, but I believe anyone who wants to gain understanding of some Middle Eastern cultures, should read this book.