Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on March 16, 2012
Excellent read...being a dog handler myself, this is one of the best depictions of what we do and the bond we have with our four legged partners. Reading this is a good reminder of why I became a handler and how important the working dog is in the safety and defense of America. It's good to know that these hero dogs are allowed to be adopted out into homes once they can no longer work too. It seems all the recent news stories about this dog Rex who was going to be euthanized because he couldn't work anymore were lies from the media. I'm sure he will be retired to a couch in no time after reading this book. Thanks for the honesty on what really goes on.
How can it miss? On one hand we have heartwarming tales of mans best friend, and on the other exciting war stories. Maria Goodavage is one of the best known dog blog and book writers, and now she turns her talents to a book with a larger audience (not that dog lovers are a tiny niche).

Brought to the fore (or is it "ripped from the headlines"?) by the story of Cairo, the dog who helped bring Osama to Justice, the author here tells a number of interesting and exciting "dog tails" <g>

It's also always nice also to have a author bring in a few personal notes and here the authors own pooch ("Jake") helps Maria tell the stories. Nice touch there.

Although the book does cover the history of dogs in the Military since WWI, the book concentrates on the recent Afghanistan conflict.

Since my Dad had the very rare MoS of "Dog Sled Driver" in the 10th Mountain in WWII, he also told me many "dog tales" (some of which did not have a happy ending). However, remembering his stories made this book ring all the more true.

If you're a dog lover or a war story reader, this book is a must get.
1212 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 18, 2012
This is a great book! If you are interested in military working dogs then this is a book you'll want to read. If you AREN'T interested in military working dogs read this book... by the time you get through the first couple of chapters you'll be hooked.

Although written in a style which relies on a lot of first-hand observation and quotes from those who are involved in MWD it is a very engaging volume, providing information on how these dogs are bought, trained and deployed. Goodavage clearly loves dogs and it comes through in this work, which is why I think I enjoyed it so much. Who wants to read a book by someone who hates (or is just not into) the topic? I had seen these dogs in Iraq and elsewhere in the Middle East but now, thanks to Soldier Dogs, I think I have come to appreciate these working animals for the contribution that they make in finding EODs and providing security.

I bought this book at the PX on a whim and was glad I did!
on March 25, 2012
I saw the author interviewed on TV, and was impressed enough to order Soldier Dogs. This is an interesting book, which shows really how important these dogs are in saving lives, especially in Iraq/Afgan detecting IED explosives.

The bond between dog and soldier is heart warming to say the least, and the most poignant part is found in the last two paragraphs of chapter 7.

The book is rather short, and the 55 'snippet' chapters, are quickly filled with information, stories, facts, training, etc., which for the most part do not run into one another, and lend to putting down/picking up, without missing a beat in between.

The book made me proud of my Black Lab, Molly, even though she didn't serve. Semper Fi.
on March 16, 2012
What a remarkably touching story about the relationship between dogs and their handlers! Both 4-legged and 2-legged soldiers provide such a valuable service to our nation, displaying dignity, courage, and honor whether in a training or operational setting. Kudos to the author for this poignant portrayal of one of our military's noblest career fields.
on March 28, 2012
Writer Maria Goodavage has always had a love of dogs. After the biggest military operation in the modern war on terrorism revealed that one of the tools used to capture Osama Bin Laden was dogs, Goodavage sought to capture the contributions of these four legged heroes.

In Soldier Dogs: The Untold Story of America's Canine Heroes Goodavage does a great job of chronicling the use of dogs in the military. These furry soldiers are trained near San Antonio, Texas and are chose from a highly selective process. Even with their top notch training in assisting soldiers to keep them from harms way, they also serve companionship and a bit of a calming factor when in the war zone.

Goodavage dug deep into the bowels of this unknown area and found allies that granted her access to paint a full dimension portrait of these soldier dogs.
Not only did I learn about the dogs contributions but also some interesting facts about dogs. The complexity of their sense of smell and how these furry companions are able to do jobs that not even the most highly technical equipment can achieve.
This book is ideal for dog lovers and for those who want to simply learn more about dogs. It also pays homage to the many men and women who stand guard daily in foreign lands so that we may be enjoy the benefits of freedom.

To check out how you can learn about this issue and find ways you can help the cause of these soldier dogs visit: www (dot) soldierdogs (dot) com
on March 16, 2012
It's about time Dogs are getting some of the attention they deserve. Dogs have been in combat for centuries. I recommend this book. The author did her homework and talked personally to each of these handlers. You can tell she has passion in her heart.
on April 1, 2012
I saw the author on the Daily Show and thought what an interesting topic. As a dog lover, I figured I couldn't go wrong! I got the book the next day and read it in 1.5 days! I cannot stress enough how great this book was, it was so informative, so eye-opening on how well these dogs are trained, how well they are taken care of and above all, loved. My heart broke for the soldiers who did not come home and their families, for the dogs that did not come home and their handlers. The respect I now have for these dogs and their handlers is immeasurable. We should petition for these dogs to be given awards. I strongly recommend for everyone to read this book. I loved it and say that as I am still crying!
on March 28, 2012
I ordered this book because I saw the author on the daily show.... The idea of a dog being the most important parts of a humans life, and a human being the most important part of a dogs life I true understand and live daily. I will update this as I read the book
on June 10, 2012
This book is wonderful. It tells you everything you could hope to learn about the military working dogs program. It really has something for everyone in this book. It is a definitely a must for any dog lover. If you aren't a dog lover after reading this book you will be.

The book is several short stories about dogs, and the details of the whole military dog program. The interviews all took place in 2011. The stories come from Afghanistan and Iraq. The author takes you from the dog purchase all the way to their retirement. You will learn about how the military trains these wonderful animals. I think the techniques they use could help any dog lover. This information is frequently told through the eyes of handlers so you get the information from the trenches. You will become an expert in process after this book.

The stories of these dogs at work in the war zone will warm your heart. The book documents what every dog lover already knows. Dogs have a special bond with man. They do communicate with handlers. They read people almost as well as people read them. They take special risks for their humans. The stories of dogs that did not come home will for sure touch you emotionally. The stories about the bond between handler and dog will warm your heart. This story will make you want to hug your dog.