Sole Fitness E95 Elliptical Machine
Price:$1,699.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 22, 2013
What sold me was the build quality and the solid, smooth feel when using it. I went to Sears to do some testing, so I jumped from one machine to the other. This unit was by far the best is the sub $2,000 range. I ended up ordering it from SOLE's website. I recieved the unit in a couple of days. It took about 3-1/2 hrs to unbox and set the unit up (by myself). My complaints (and why I did't give it a 5 star rating) is:

1. The hardware (bolts, washers, etc.) are not the best quality. They skimped on the washers and have you only putting washers on one side in most places. This leads to ugly looking scratched paint when bolt turns. Washers bend and cause metal (frame) under them start to cave in when tightening. Metric size hex heads and (possibly undersized - cheap from China?) causes wrenches to slip off (rounding bolt/nut heads).

2. They really didn't provide the best option to set your iPod/MP3 player, etc. Blocks view of LCD (stupid!).

3. Speakers are an insult!!! They should have just left them out. Just plain crap!!! Have I made my point on this? I had to order a soundbar speaker to hang (somehow) in front of the elliptical.

4. With today's technology and apps that people put on their devices, they should have accommodated these programs into the electronics. Also, it would be nice to upload your workout to your computer (wirelessly) and track your progress. Nordictrack has this on their elliptical in this price range. I almost bought theirs just for that reason.

I hope this helps. It's time to workout now!

[Edit]

I'm lowering my review from a 4 star to a 3 star rating after one month of use.

There seems to be some problems that have haunted these units from earlier models and SOLE has not fixed them.

Clicking and sloppy movement in the arms from bad or under/over sized bearings.

Noise coming from the foot pedals from washers rubbing against something and not lubricated properly (repair guy just told me this is a common problem).

I'm waiting for the repair guy to make a second trip to my house to make more repairs.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After doing an extended amount of research both at my local shopping malls and on the Internet, I chose the Sole E95 because it really is the best bang for the buck in the $1,200 to $1,900 price range in my researched opinion.

Before purchasing my elliptical machine here on Amazon, I went to Sears and other sporting goods stores and tested the machine along with several others (NordicTrack, ProForm, Horizon, Livestrong, Nautilus, Best Fitness) which are also available here on the Internet. Not one of the other brands that I tested came even close to how the E95 operates and feels during a workout. Machines such as the "NordicTrack Elite 17.7" had very cool display interaction software and others had Jillian from the "Biggest Loser" or HD videos to help move you along, but in the end it was all about the machine itself and not the bells & whistles for me.

I went with the Sole E95 over the E35 because the E95 has a heavier flywheel which is a main component of the machine overall. Also, the display panel on the E95 has more functionality which was a plus.

Here are 3 reasons why I took one STAR away from this product,

CONS:

1. The fan does little to nothing to help cool you down.

2. The water bottle holder leaves some to be desired. This little nook has several icons at the base suggesting that it is a multi-use space, the reality is that it's an either "OR" space. Either put your water bottle "OR" your iPod there during your workout. If I put my water bottle there I have to be careful when I pick it up because I have to reach in between the moving machine parts.

3. I do not like that I have to place my iPod or iPhone directly in front of my screen display. In doing so, I cannot see a portion of the screen. That said, when I wear my iPhone armband it's a non-issue.

That being said, the machine is solid and it provides me with an excellent workout every time I use it.

When I put the machine together, I took my time to do the job properly (4 hours) and I have had ZERO problems with the machine because I took the time to assemble it right the first time. The machine was packed extremely well and everything was inside of the box when I got it.

If you are looking for an elliptical machine at this price level, you need look no further, you found it!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 7, 2013
We had a Sole E95 elliptical that ran flawlessly for four years. My wife used it every day (sometimes twice) for 45 mins to an hour, and when I've needed to get into shape I've had a few extended stints on it over the years. I think we had to lube the bars under the rollers a few times but that was it for maintenance. Never made any unusual noises or squeaks. Feels like a club-quality machine and was the only thing in a reasonable price range that did so out of all of those we tried.

The incline motor stopped working last month. Frankly, after four years of usage I felt like we had gotten our money's worth and would have been happy to buy a new machine. However, Sole sent as enough replacement parts to practically build a new elliptical while we tried to figure it out, but after we had tried everything and it was still broken, they RMA'd our old machine and shipped us a brand new 2013 model. They didn't charge us a dime for the new machine - the only costs we incurred were to pay a local assembly specialist to put the new parts on the old machine when we were attempting to repair it, which was our choice (I could have disassembled it myself but didn't have the time).

Not only has this been a great product but when it finally gave in before the warranty expired Sole came through with stellar customer service. We have loved our E95 and following the excellent support experience from Sole I'm certain we'll be repeat customers.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 15, 2014
I've owned 3 elliptical trainers since 2001. A Life Fitness X3 for 10 years and a Vision Fitness S7200 for 2 years. I had to sell the Vision Fitness because of a job relocation and was just too large to move. I decided to try and save a few bucks and order this 2014 Sole E95 model. I've had nothing but problems with it since it was delivered 3 weeks ago. Right pedal rail is jumping off track and can't be aligned properly. There was loose washers inside the flywheel area that I fished out with a magnet upon delivery that I suspect is causing this. The feet adjustments are not 0 -10 degrees. More like 3-10 degrees. So your feet will fall asleep quickly because they are pointing downward. The unit is heavy and feels solid but that's is about where the quality ends. Heavier flywheels does not mean better. The bolts and components are cheap. I wish they would have not put any speakers on this machine and put that money into the parts. The speakers are really bad. I'm a heavy user (10 hours per week) so in just 3 weeks I'm already seeing the machine breaking down. I've called Sole 4 times for different issues. Need a tech to come out but can't get here before my Amazon return window expires. Anyway, enough time spent on this as it's being picked up next week and going back to Amazon. Looks great on paper but I need a machine that will last.

Just bought the cheap Schwinn A40 Elliptical Machine (for my second home) and Schwinn is so much better!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 25, 2013
I've had this machine for a month, and I've been using it at least 5 times a week.

Unfortunately, the con first: there is a clicking noise coming from the point where the two handlebars attach to the "neck" of the device (the part that has the console at the top). In the product picture, you can see the rather large plastic covers over that joint. I have made sure that the bolts are tight, twice. The noise is puzzling because that joint is just a cylinder, but when the handlebars are moved back and forth during a workout, I feel a slight movement in that joint and that's what's making the noise. I'm not sure whether this is a design problem or a manufacturing problem, but it is somewhat annoying to have to listen to this constant clicking noise during an entire workout - even while wearing ear-canal iPod earphones.

The good: the machine does provide a pretty good workout, and the built-in programs provide a good variety & the 20 levels of resistance and 20 levels of inclines provide plenty of headroom for you to progress into. I mainly use the heart rate workout program, and it works very well - automatically adjusting the levels and inclines to keep me within the target zone. I've also used the fat burn program, and that felt good too. The chest heart rate monitor is critical for both of these workouts.

The product does come with a chest heart rate monitor, and mine stopped working right in the middle of a workout at the end of the first week. I called Sole Fitness, and they were very quick about sending out a new one via two-day FedEx. The new one has worked fine so far, so I guess I just had bad luck with the first one. Given that customer service was very courteous and quick, I'd rate that part of the experience very good. And just in case you need to buy a third-party chest HR monitor, the service rep told me that Polar products are compatible with this device.

During workout, the stride seems natural and smooth. It would be perfectly smooth if not for the movement/clicking noise coming from the handlebar joint. You do need to lubricate the rollers and rails at the rear of the device about once a week - otherwise, the rollers make a squeaking noise.

Other thoughts: when you take delivery of this package, make sure you have another person to help you. The box is delivered on a pallet. The box weighs something like 325 pounds. It would be wise to have one of those furniture-moving "slider" things so that you can just slide it rather than have to lift this box. Good luck if you have to take this up stairs.

I didn't want to deal with the whole assembly chore, so I used the "the treadmill doctor elliptical assembly service" which is available through Amazon and cost $250.

Overall, I give this product 3.5 stars. It would definitely be a 5 star product if not for the clicking noise/movement in that joint. I see that another person has mentioned this same problem, so I'm not the only one experiencing this clicking noise. I think I will call customer service to see if there is a cure for it. If the problem gets resolved, I will put up an update to this review.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2013
Great machine. Mine is super quiet. If you apply the grease on the rails and just align the foot steps properly, it is a smooth and quiet machine. Worth the money. Make sure your ceiling height is 8 feet or more; it puts you up high.
on October 16, 2014
The Sole E95 elliptical is simply a great piece of home fitness equipment. Let me start that I had planned to spend twice as much for a Precor elliptical because of mine and my wife's familiarity with them at our gym. I did some research and the E95 is very highly rated. I have read most if not all the reviews and took the leap, especially as a Prime member.

Shipping:
This was both a worry and a blessing. I was worried about getting notified. I didn't have anything to worry about. Shipping company was courteous, and got this and another piece of equipment (Sole b94 exercise bike) a day early. A key point is to ensure you understand what first threshold is. If you aren't purchasing a delivery and set up plan if your "first threshold" will be where this resides they will delver it there. Mine happened to be my basement. Having exterior access to my basement made my life 110% easier. Always ask the delivery team, you never know unless you do.

Unpacking:
The 264 pounds on the shipping laden belies how big this thing is. Do not be afraid to cut along the dotted line on the box. Sole has placed hard plastic angle irons to ensure nothing will be cut. As I unpackaged it you can understand that Sole does a good job in protecting their equipment. All I have to do now is figure where to put all this stuff.

Construction:
I am a visual person, so I didn't have an issue with an instruction manual that was four steps that was actually about 25-30 steps. Patience, and teamwork is critical. I took about four hours to put together, take slightly apart, put back together and then get all of the pretty bits on. One key point during this; two small angle irons are not listed on the parts list for step four, and are so small on the step four visual, but are important in the installation of the shroud that covers the back of the machine. Be mindful of that. Anither point and the manual states it, tighten all the bolts. The stability is dependant on getting everything snugged down.

Use:
The machine is whisper quiet. I was worried about that fron some of the reviews about grinding and other noises made. This machine makes no noise. The incline is silent.

Overall, this is a great product. I'll continue to update my review as my wife and I get use out of the machine.
on March 25, 2013
I've never owned an elliptical. However, I have used Precor in the gym before. I looked at many brands, reviews and specs and many different web sites to research my purchase. For the price and features and reviews this seemed the best fit for me. And I've not been disappointed. The best part of this machine is how quiet it is! I also love the fact that it has adjustable peddles to help minimize toe numbness. The drink holder is slanted forward so I had to find a different water bottle (it did come with one too), but it's easy to reach, so that's nice. The display is easy to read and very user friendly. I'm only 5'2" and the machine is rather large. I have to step up onto it. The arm bars are fine but I can't use the outter handles or reach the handle incline or level adjustments. Not a big deal, I just make my adjustments on the display. The fan is nice, not very powerful, but better than no fan at all! I like that I can plug in my IPod and play music from the built in speakers without headphones if I choose. This machine glides exceptionally smooth! It has auto incline adjustments and level adjustments that are smooth between adjustments. The foot print of this machine is a bit bigger than I anticiapted, but we have plenty of space, so again, no problem. But check into the dimensions! Also check into the height if you are tall or have low ceilings. Again, I researched and knew ahead of time my space was fine for it. My husband put it together in about 2 hours by himself. It took me 10 minutes to read the instructions and I was using it. The packaging on this thing was solid. Not a scratch on it. I have no review on the service provided by Sole because I've not needed it. As of today, I've had this machine for about a month and have spend almost every day on it. Highly recommend!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 15, 2014
DELIVERY: Chances are it was a day or two late due to a shipping error but no big deal.
UNBOXING: It was harder to take it out of the secured box than it was to put together.
ASSEMBLY:[...] Amazon did not let me add the link, so go on YOUTUBE and search Sole E35 assembly, the E95 is not that much different.
Perhaps I looked at the book a little but the above video is great.
WORKOUT: I have used it twice. I was not totally out of shape and have been using a 20 year old health rider for the past two years. Immediately I noticed a better leg work out, the jury is still out on the arms.
CUSTOMER SERVICE: I had to call Sole for one small setting problem. They were quick, knowledgeable and friendly in answering my question.
NOISE: No noise as of yet.
SIZE: Think big when ordering. Its set up in my living room and I am already thinking of a better location.
WHEELS: I am sure that I overlooked it in the description, but there are two wheels on the front that make the E95 mobile by lifting up the heavy rear end and moving it to a desired location.
WEIGHT: In one word HEAVY.

I will update at a later time if there are any things that needs to be added.

UPDATE: As of March 21 its still going strong. I securely fastened the arms and as of yet I still have no noise. The machine is a great leg and cardio work out for me but not so much for the arms. But cardio and fat burn were the reasons that I bought it. The heart monitor is virtually useless but again that is not the reason that I got it. I still think that it is a great machine.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 17, 2014
-I like it but the motion is a little weird. I'm used to a rear flywheel elliptical with elevation changers mounted in the front. This machine has a motion which is much more round than that type of elliptical. It is a good work out, reminds me of walking through deep snow. You have to lift your knees quite high. Also, your body is tilted forward. This posture worsens when you increase the elevation and causes my low back to get an extreme workout. No so bad that I wont use it, just something to be aware of. It makes it difficult to pull on the handles. Since you are leaning forward you want to always push on the handles.

After a month of use my impressions are as follows:

-Solid, well built, lengthy assembly process.

-The elevation change is completely useless.

-The difficulty change does something but is mostly useless. I just keep in set on low and vary my speed to make it more difficult.

-Has a quiet squeak and a quiet knock; but nothing too bad so far.

-Provides an adequate workout.

-haven't used the fan or speakers other than to try them out to make sure they worked.

-Rated it higher than a three because I feel the quality is good. But the motion is still a little weird, the elevation and difficulty options are lame and for that I would only give it a 3

Hope this helps.