5.0 out of 5 stars The soul of Sole Sisters

Published on December 4, 2011 by Alexys Sweeney

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The soul of Sole Sisters, March 15, 2006
This review is from: Sole Sisters: Stories of Women and Running (Paperback)
This book is about women runners, but also about so much more, touching on themes that resonate with us all: family, faith, remembrance, hope. Elegantly written and in places quite moving, Sole Sisters takes us into the lives of 21 women or women's running groups. Some of the people define themselves through running while others find it an important adjunct to their lives, the place where they find renewal or even peace. Among the women we meet are a 9-11 widow who runs her first marathon to honor her lost husband, and an American Indian teenager who feels the spirits of her ancestors running beside her. The authors, both avid runners and veteran news reporters, know their material and tell a compelling story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold coins, September 4, 2006
D. REAMAN (Macungie, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sole Sisters: Stories of Women and Running (Paperback)
The vignettes within this book are poignant, touching, and downright real. One of my running friends handed this to me after a 12-mile Sunday morning trek, one (which like many others) allowed us to vent, analyze, and think about our lives. Reading this compilation truly drew me in, both as a runner and a woman. But don't let the chick peg fool you. My husband, who's been a runner for more than 25 years, picked it up and agreed: This is some solid, effective writing that rewards its readers with gold coins throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and wise, July 15, 2006
Buddy (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sole Sisters: Stories of Women and Running (Paperback)
A family member gave me this short book with its well-edited short essays. It did not disappoint, a clever breezy summer book. "Sole Sisters" isn't just for women. My mom is one of 5 sisters who run, and I think I finally understand them!

3.0 out of 5 stars Empowering, encouraging but not all that, December 4, 2011
This review is from: Sole Sisters: Stories of Women and Running (Paperback)
I like this book in that it is, above all, encouraging of women to find their potential, and to keep going despite what the world will throw at you. In this book you have stories from all kinds of women, women who could be your neighbors or even your friends. They have all kinds of stories, both good and bad, some even heartbreaking. It's good to hear stories from the women who don't necessarily finish first in a race, don't set world records, and aren't necessarily rail-thin -- you know, all the ones *not* in a magazine.

On the other hand, the tone of the book and the rapid-fire sequence of tails can be tiring at times. I've been trying to finish this book for months -- not because it isn't good, but because it can only really be taken in doses. Overall I recommend it. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Sole Sister, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Sole Sisters: Stories of Women and Running (Paperback)
I had never read this book, but after reading a review, purchased it for two running friends. It was a hit! One copy has now been passed around to at least 3 different readers. The chapters are good, motivational, real to life running adventures. I would recommend it to both walkers and runners, beginners to advanced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ready for more!, November 19, 2006
This review is from: Sole Sisters: Stories of Women and Running (Paperback)
I very much enjoyed the personal nature of the story each runner had to tell. One or two were a little to much brag for me. Most provided inspiration and joy at the growth the runner achieved by their running. More than a couple brought a tear to my eye. I encourage the writers to create an annual supplement. (Keep it simple and don't over do it the way the Chicken Soup guys have done.) I look forward to more!

Thanks. egm, Vermont

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and Motivating, November 6, 2006
This review is from: Sole Sisters: Stories of Women and Running (Paperback)
Great book. No matter what your sport or fitness regime, the stories in this book will inspire and motivate you to overcome whatever obstacles stand in your way.

The lessons can be applied to any struggle you might be facing, from relationships to business to yep, even learning how to run. The stories are short and easy to read--great if you don't have much time to indulge.

These amazing and uplifting stories of the power of women would make a great gift for any woman (or man). Give a copy to all your "sisters".

5.0 out of 5 stars Running is life., July 17, 2006
Charlie (Wellsboro,Pa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sole Sisters: Stories of Women and Running (Paperback)
The stories in "Sole Sisters" demonstrated a hidden dimension of life that is revealed through running- unshakable relationships formed with running buddies, self confidence discovered through training and kicking that 5K in the butt, and dissolving problems with each step along the trails.We can all learn from these stories. Everyone, not only runners, should read this gem of a book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, April 10, 2014
Very inspirational and encouraging. When I have days that I dont want to run I pick this book up to remind me of my jouney as well as others. Also it inspired me to connect with other sister runners

5.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring..., January 4, 2014
I see a little of myself in all of these stories!!! Whether you finally or a little - there is a story for everyone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x9979c39c)

Sole Sisters: Stories of Women and Running
Sole Sisters: Stories of Women and Running by Jennifer Lin (Paperback - March 1, 2006)
$12.99 $11.45