Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

• Customer Reviews

on February 7, 2011
The nutrition label on this isn't easy to decipher, but it has an added 100 mcg of B12 as cyanocobalamin (listed as just cobalamin) per 3 tablets.

I emailed Solgar who confirmed this.

This is a synthetic form of B12, which is odd since beef liver is supposed to deliver plenty of its own natural B vitamins.

I'd prefer they did not add any synthetic vitamins to this product, as it is the most ubiquitous and easiest to obtain, and Solgar is a more trustworthy name I believe. But there you have it.
44 comments|127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2012
Solgar is the only brand recommended by Mary Enig (Nourishing Traditions, Eat Fat Lose Fat). She stipulates that you do not want a brand that is processed with high heat, and some other criteria that I can't recall at the moment, but it's not like they put this information on the label. But I do know one thing for sure. They're big chalky pills, the kind that you feel like will get stuck in your throat and choke you. They're easy to chew, but really bad tasting. If you know a brand that comes in easy to swallow gel caps or something, please comment on my review to let me know.
99 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2011
These tablets are big and smelly...they smell like grave dirt, I like to joke. They stink out my whole pill box and make me grimace each time I have one, albeit only for a few seconds. (Doable for me though, unlike actually eating liver!)

The tablets are only lightly coated so you can taste the liver-y goodness quite well, sadly.

My only problem with the content is that the liver is defatted which seems a weird idea to me as I had thought a large percentage of the nutrients in liver, such as vitamin A, were fat soluble? I'm also not a fan of the added B12 and particularly this inferior form of it.

Ron's Ultrapure does the best liver capsules (and non-defatted and non-smelly ones too!) but these ones are at least a lot cheaper. I'm going to take soem of both brands I think as I can't afford to take high amounts of the more expensive one.

To read about the benefits of consuming liver in neurological diseases such as MS do a web search for 'Dr Klenner, B vitamins, liver' or similar. There is also great information on the benefits of eating liver if you have liver problems or really any disease at all, on the Weston A Price Foundation website - along with other nutrient dense foods such as bone broths, coconut oil and other (organic) organ meats. Books such as Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats and Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food and Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life are also good on the subject of liver.

Liver is often said to be the number one superfood. Thank goodness it comes in tablet forms I say!

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
on January 9, 2013
I have been very happy with this product. I take it twice daily and it has helped reverse my anemia and maintain normal levels. Will cotinue to order.
on January 14, 2013
I for one do not eat the way I should so I buy this as a suppliment. It turns out that one of my cats also loves it. She thinks it is a treat. Her fur went from yellow to red-orange!
on August 27, 2013
this b12 is synthetic :( natures life beef liver is a good one tht is not synthetic and dr rons as well
on February 14, 2014
Liver is extremely high in iron, though Solgar's Desiccated Liver doesn't list the iron content on the label. It only lists the amount of protein and Vitamin B12, which is a lot less than other brands. So I called Solgar to find out how much iron was in their product. The representative put me on hold so she could find out. She later said it was fractional and close to none. Other brands list a higher iron and vitamin content on their label which means…Solgar's liver has a lot of fillers.
on November 30, 2014
When I was pregnant with my 4th baby, I was completely exhausted...wiped out. I thought it was because I had so many little kids and and I couldn't get enough sleep. Thankfully my midwife had my iron tested and realized my levels were very very low. It was low enough that I nearly needed a blood transfusion. So, I began to research what to take. I knew just taking Iron pills didn't agree with me...it made me so constipated.

When I ran across info on dessicated liver, I decided to give it a try. I'm sure that others will have pros and cons to this brand but overall I am completely happy with the results. It does have a nasty taste...most herbal or natural remedies do so this didn't surprise me. After taking this for only a couple of weeks, my energy levels began to increase. I took it for the better part of 6 years and it greatly helped with my anemia. I no longer need it, but if I struggle with anemia again, I would not hesitate to use it again. Great product, easily digested, does what I needed it to do.
on December 12, 2009
I have used Solgar products for years and am always satisfied with the packaging and freshness. I feel healthy, so I guess that they help. These liver tablets are easy for me to swallow and have a rich liver smell.
on March 21, 2016
Liver is liver is liver. I don't wanna cook it. Don't wanna LOOK at it. Don't REALLY wanna smell it.
I DO want the benefits. So I'll swallow a few tabs. (Cats LOVE it) . I hope my hair grows back.
Adele Davis claims it's a miracle supplement. I'll see.
Peace and love to Cats. I sure do love mine!