Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Solid Ball of Rock
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 23, 2003
this is an OUTSTANDING follow up the Destiny release of 1988 (which was a much better release than critics reported). there are some real classic hard rock gems on this CD. if you are a Saxon fan or are thinking about becoming one, i highly recommend getting this. an excellent, EXCELLENT group of songs. the remastered work is top notch. my highest allocades to the band.
on April 14, 2005
I was not aware of Saxon during their 1980s heyday and have only recently started checking out their albums. I found Solid Ball of Rock (as well as Denim and Leather) on cassette for $1. Let's just say, it was $1 well spent and I am now spending more to get more releases from their long discography. Where has this band been all my life?! I've really been missing out! What surprises me about this album is that it came out in 1990 when metal was beginning to drop off in quality. There is no drop off here. The only thing I don't like about this album is the silly title yet that is just what it is; a solid ball of rock. I could review each track individually, but I would be typing the same words and phrases like "awesome," "kicks," "catchy melodies," "killer guitar riffs," and "amazing vocals." Every track rocks and as soon as I think I found a favorite, I find another "favorite." I will single out one song "Requiem (We Will Remember)." It is so amazing and beautiful that I get choked up when I hear it. It does go on a bit so having the single version included as a bonus track makes this album just about perfect. I cannot recommend this album highly enough. Just check out the audio clips and, if you like what you hear, don't hesitate to buy this album because it will not disappoint. And if you like this, check out Saxon's latest Lionheart which I am beginning to like as well as this one.
on May 18, 2007
Saxon's ball rock is solid! From the great opening

track this rocks! This album is one of Saxon's most

consistent from this era. I had only heard the title

track but songs like Lights in the Sky, Requiem and

Baptism of Fire sound like the classic Saxon while

Songs like I can't get enough, Crash Dive and my

favorite I'm on Fire written by Nick Carter are

also great songs while giving it a different sound.

The production is also great giving it a melodic

but hard rocking sound. I think this is one of the

best all around albums Saxon has delivered and it's

well worth getting. I can't get enough of it!
on January 11, 2014
I am of the belief that Saxon never went anywhere! This disc rocks from start to finish!!! Love it.I do believe this is the first album where Saxon got "heavier". A few of the albums prior to this kinda had a Def Leppard vibe to them(def leppards a great band by the way). And the albums that followed this were just as good or better!
Originally released in 1991, Solid Ball of Rock was the tenth studio album from British heavy metal pioneers Saxon. Once one of the forerunners of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal (NWOBHM) movement, Saxon struggled as the `80s gave way to the `90s. After a couple of less than impressive attempts at mainstream radio success, the band used this album to move back towards a more metal sound.

Solid Ball of Rock still has the AOR polish of Destiny and Rock the Nations, especially in terms of production, but the songs tend to rock a bit more. Songs like "Baptism of Fire" and "I'm on Fire" have an old school Saxon sound, and the more melodic songs like "Solid Ball of Rock" and "Lights in the Sky" have plenty of punch. Even the so-called ballads like "Requiem (We Will Remember)" and "Refugee" are quite well-written. It's not a heavy metal powerhouse by any means, but there's a lot to like about Solid Ball of Rock.

It's not an essential album like Saxon's early albums (or their post-2000 albums), but Solid Ball of Rock is still, well, a solid ball of rock. Even an average Saxon album is still well worth owning if you're at all a fan of British heavy metal.

Edition Notes: SPV reissued Solid Ball of Rock in 2002, adding expanded liner notes and a pair of bonus tracks. The first is a single edit of "Requiem (We Will Remember)" and the second is an odd, swinging rock number called "Reeperbahn Stomp." It's not an essential reissue, so if you have the previous version there probably isn't much need to upgrade to this one. For those of us who missed it the first time around though, the Solid Ball of Rock reissue is ideal.
on May 12, 2005
I don't get the negative reviews regarding this album. It's a throwback to the early 80's when Saxon ruled the world ... Strong Arm of the Law, Crusader, Denim and Leather ... Solid Ball has THAT Saxon sound. If you want darker and heavier/moody stuff, then yeah go take a listen to Dogs of War or Unleash the Beast, but that ain't Saxon. Biffs voice, which is the best part of Saxons sound, is really strong on this album. Just listen to the little soundbites provided ... if you like what you hear, you'll dig this album
on February 27, 2006
This is a Saxon album that is often forgotten and will often stay in the shadow of such classics as Strong Arm of the Law, Denim and Leather and Wheels of Steel. Although this release doesen't have the same "metal cult status" as the previous albums mentioned, it is a very strong showing from Biff and the lads.

No one enjoying early Saxon will be dissapointed by this one. Definately a "safe buy".
on March 25, 2002
SBOR is a very entertaining album with great
musicmanship and heavy melodies.
This is truly a very strong lead in the
tradition of NWOBHM. Vocals are clear and
guitars are played precise and heavy.
For it's kind it is practically the best You can get.
I myself , being a speedchaser , would have preferred
a few more little faster songs ( like " Baptism..."
and " Altar of the Gods "....) , but even the
midtempo and slow songs are really good on this one.
A sure buy for heavy metal fans who now
a great band when they here one.
on July 21, 2000
Solid ball of rock is a saxon album through and through. It has your typical (and thats why we love them) anthems and true rock n roll riffs. Any one who considers themselves a saxon fan will be happy with thius gem.
on July 13, 2014
This album is a good solid release (no pun intended) by Saxon. All the songs are well written and sound really good. If you like Saxon, then you will like this album.