4.0 out of 5 stars It's what'cha want.
Published on November 8, 2005 by H3@+h

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs some re-mastering
While the songs are great, the quality is not good. It sounds like they were recorded from the original masters with nothing being done to improve the transfer. So the older songs sound tinny and grainy, which is very noticable when played on a good stereo.
Published on July 5, 2008 by M. Kellam

4.0 out of 5 stars It's what'cha want., November 8, 2005
H3@+h "Over 1500 reviews!" (thanks for the helpful review votes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solid Gold Hits [Explicit] (Audio CD)
My thinking is, this collection was made exclusively for the brand-new Beastie Boys fan, or the person who just never got anything of theirs yet. I say that because they also have out a 42 track 2-disc anthology from 1999, and because who doesn't have this stuff already? And, shouldn't the single disc collection come out before the 2-disc one? However, this is short and to the point, and is a simple hits album for those that only want the biggest hits. 15 cuts including "Fight For Your Right To Party", "Hey Ladies", "Pass The Mic", "Sabotage", "Intergalactic", and "Ch-Check It Out". It's just two or three tracks from each album, and nothing new. Hence, "Solid Gold Hits". This is also available with a DVD of videos. Gotta love the cover photo.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs some re-mastering, July 5, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Good selection, July 23, 2010
Good selection of most of the biggest hits by the Beastie Boys. Can't go wrong here, especially if you are a casual fan and want a good selection of their most popular stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Songs, Crappy Package, November 13, 2005
mattyp4 (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solid Gold Hits [Explicit] (Audio CD)
I'm a self-proclaimed casual Beastie Boys fan. I used to have all their albums, owned a few shirts, and I've seen them live a couple of times. But it finally dawned on me that I never actually listened to the CDs!

So I ditched the albums & bought the Sounds of Science when that came out... but then I never listened to that either! Too much filler material (face it: the stuff from Some Old Bulls**t & Aglio E Olio just sucks). It didn't take long to ditch that anthology, too. So I picked up Solid Gold hits upon its release.

The song selection is much tighter & more convenient for the casual fan who just wants all the hits (including the To The 5 Boroughs material). And the cover is pretty awesome (I think I've always been drawn to their style more than their actual music). But the album package itself stinks! It's packaged in one of those cardboard cases with a platic tray to hold the disc. It looks like a CD single! And what's worse is that there is NO booklet to accompany the CD! All there is are song credits found in the area underneath the disc.

A hits package with no notes or anything? Lame. Made me kind of wish I held on to Sounds of Science. But if you're just here for the music & music only, Solid Gold Hits is a good way to go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good intro compilation, October 21, 2009
This review is from: Solid Gold Hits [Explicit] (Audio CD)
This "best of" album spans from 1986 to 2004, and includes most of the singles and well-known hits from their studio albums. No live recordings or B-sides, but it was a good intro for me, since I didn't own any of their albums before this one. I agree that the sound quality isn't as good on their older songs here. I recommend it for a party or car CD, it doesn't have any "filler" songs that mess up the pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, November 9, 2005
kevin m antonio (rumford, ri United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solid Gold Hits [Explicit] (Audio CD)
I bought 'The Sounds of Science' when it came out some years back, but it was just too much material to wade through... then it hit me: I'm a casual fan!

Hence, 'Solid Gold Hits' is pefect for someone like me. I've heard about a dozen of these songs on the radio and am very happy with this collection! If you're a casual fan, you'll be happy with this set as well... thanks, Boys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta have this, March 21, 2012
This review is from: Solid Gold Hits [Explicit] (Audio CD)
Not a huge fan of today's rap and r&b, but do have a huge soft spot for some of the old school rap, like Run DMC and the Beastie Boy's. I will select this on my ipod when I start a 3-4 mile run. Starts out with "so what'cha want, and rocks all the way to the end with "fight for your right". Solid Gold Hits is a must have for all hip hop-rap listeners.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Beastie Boys, what more can I say?!? =), April 23, 2011
LOOOOVE this, but one prob...where's Paul Revere?!?!? I mean, all the other greats are on this, but in MY opinion, Paul Revere is the BEST! THAT'S why only 4 stars...sorry Boys, I still love you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beastie Boys all in one, September 12, 2009
This review is from: Solid Gold Hits [Explicit] (Audio CD)
Great collection of songs! If you want a great mix of Beastie Boys music this is the CD for you. Lots of songs and all the thump you need. Perfect CD if you can't decide what BB CD to buy and only want one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good collection of some of their finer songs, August 15, 2009
This review is from: Solid Gold Hits [Explicit] (Audio CD)
As a fan of the group or even as a casual fan, this is a good collection of their hits to pick up. Like many of the other reviewers already stated, there are few that are on here that aren't their best,a nd at only 54 minutes, they definitely could've put another 4 or songs songs opn here, and we all know they have a few more that could have easily been included on this one. The trio, Mike D, Ad Rock, and MCA always bring high energy and catchy upbeat tracks that make you want to keep listening, and they've stayed true to their style for over 20 years. You still get the classics and great songs: "So What'cha Want", "Brass Monkey", "No Sleep till Brooklyn", "Hey Ladies", "Pass the Mic", "Open Letter to NYC",
"Intergalactic", "Sure Shot ", "Sabotage", and "Fight for Your Right" and a few other decent songs, but with the length of the album, it would have been nice if they included a few more songs on here. It is good they have some more of their recent hits on here as well. All in all it's a good collection to have if you don't want to go back and get all their albums.

Check all my reviews

Solid Gold Hits [Explicit]
Solid Gold Hits [Explicit] by Beastie Boys (Audio CD - 2005)