Published on November 30, 2011 by 1821 Reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed
This book came highly recommended by a solo attorney, so clearly it helps some people. I personally found it trite and unhelpful. Much of the information was simple common sense, and/or is information you can easily find for free on the Internet with your first search. Maybe I'd pay 6 or 7 dollars for it just to have it as a reference. Most DEFINITELY NOT worth 80...
Published on March 1, 2012 by havana

5.0 out of 5 stars A practical "first read" primer to get you thoughts organized, November 30, 2011
This review is from: Solo by Choice 2011-2012: How to Be the Lawyer You Always Wanted to Be (Career Resources for a Life in the Law) (Paperback)
I just started considering opening my own firm and going solo after quite a few years of medium firm private practice. I never though of solo practice as something I would ever want to do-- thinking it very daunting and more stressful than straight employment in a larger firm. However, after speaking with other colleagues who had made the transition, I grew more comfortable with the idea. But where to start? How to keep from forgetting something? I do not want to start only to fold a few years later as my expenses get away from me (a real possibility in this new economy). I didn't want to start haphazardly or spend money on something I really didn't need and forget to invest in something I did need. I want to be organized and in control right from the start as much as one can be with a new business. The other books lawyers and friends of mine swore by as being the "must have book" for anyone who wants to fly solo seemed dated or out of print. I wanted a "first read" book that was as current as it gets, that considers today's current economic climate as well as considers the growth of the internet, technology, virtual spaces, and social media as options and factors to consider. I can say that as a up to date primer, as the initial book you buy when you have no idea how to begin, THIS IS THE "FIRST READ" BOOK FOR ME.

The tasks ahead seemed huge-- this book put things in a more manageable perspective. As a person generally adverse to taking personal risks without ensuring as much financial security as possible (and who isn't in this economy?) this book provides an up to date, easy to read, topically organized outline of what you need to think of and plan for before you take the plunge. It is well organized, taking you through several key sections in its table of contents: (1) "The Decision" - the pros and cons of deciding to go out on your own; (2) "Planning the Launch" -setting out preliminary business and legal steps before you hang out your shingle (and the first section I read which helped me tremendously); (3) "The Practice" -giving very helpful practice pointers as you start and grow your business and client base; (4)"Solo Marketing" - outlining marketing in today's modern world (no dated information that I can see but I admit I am not tech savvy); and (5) "Solos in Transition" with some great Q/A sections and comments from attorneys who have made the leap in real life. It is very easy to pick up this book and just skim through it or jump ahead to a particular chapter for general ideas before reading it cover to cover. It helped me consider things that I didn't even realize were issues and options. I especially liked how with a lot of sections it very clearly states the PROS and CONS for you to consider right from the outset. It helps me organize my thoughts and prioritize what areas I still need to research further. It does not provide check lists per se, I still need to create my own "to do" lists, but it helps make the task more manageable. I also appreciate that it is highly aware of ethical and legal issues even as it provides you an organized summary of the practical decisions you need to make in opening and running as solo firm.

The book's tone is frank, open, and not condescending. There is a lot of practical advice and dispelling of rumors. There are useful quotes and anecdotes. It offers objective advice and takes time to remind the reader of possible pitfalls as well as alternatives or non traditional business solutions. It will still require however a great deal of other research and time pricing out options before I make certain decisions, but the book provides you with a framework to make those decisions as you price out your options in starting and then running your future firm. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a comprehensive source list or bibliography of other print and electronic sources in this text. I do note that there is a companion book to this one on Amazon which I have not yet purchased which may fill in those gaps.

I will say I probably will invest in other books focusing on particular areas of practice or business to gain more in depth specialized information, but as a comprehensive starting point, this resource fit my needs, my style and provides critical up to date information of options, issues, pros, cons, and concerns in today's market. This is a great first and foundational resource to read at if you are considering solo practice for the very first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and up-to-date resource, April 2, 2012
I put off buying a how-to book for a couple of months, thinking that I'd just figure stuff out on my own as I started up my solo practice. And while I didn't make any huge mistakes, I spent a lot of time figuring out how to do things on my own. I finally bought this on the recommendation of a friend from law school. I wish I would have bought this book sooner--it would have saved me a lot of time.

The book discusses most of what you'll need to know to set up your own law practice and get it running. It's incredibly practical, and it's very light on the flowery, excessive language I've seen in other how-to-run-a-law-practice books. And it's up-to-date on modern technology, ethics rules, etc.

I highly recommend this book, and I recommend you get it before you start setting up your law firm. It's a fantastic resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Only Buy One Book on Launching a Solo Law Practice, This Is the One to Buy, January 4, 2012
Although I read a number of how-to books before I set up my own law firm a couple of years ago, this is the only one that, until just recently, still sat on my desk. Elefant writes well. She is both inspirational and realistic. Because she seems to have an intuitive feel for precisely the type of questions that you will have, the book is comprehensive without overburdening you with information. In addition to the very practical advice (all of which has proven to be true), I used the book as a roadmap/checklist for all the things I needed to do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, October 2, 2013
This book is a great resource for those thinking about private practice. It covers pretty much everything a new solo needs to consider before hanging a shingle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for anyone considering solo practice, February 13, 2012
Solo by Choice is an excellent starting point for anyone who is thinking about opening their own practice, as well as those who already have their own practice but are looking for ways to improve. The book honestly and straightforwardly addresses both the pros and cons of having your own office, and helps the reader assess whether this is the right choice. There is a very practical, nuts and bolts approach covering what you need to do to start a practice, options such as a virtual office, transitioning from your current job, getting clients and dealing with them once you have them, complying with professional responsibility requirements and avoiding ethical issues, ways of making money while building up your client base, fee structures and fee agreements, and much more. One invaluable resource is the twelve month "task timeline" for laying the ground work for your practice. Also particularly helpful is the detailed section on online marketing and social media. The author notably provides specifics throughout on low and no cost options for marketing, legal research, office software, and training, to help the reader keep overhead low.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read book, December 22, 2013
If you are thinking about going solo, this is a must read book. It gives you a step by step process of what you need to do to get your practice off the ground. I highly recommend this book especially if you want to go solo but you're afraid of doing so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent How To Guide, July 28, 2013
Solo by Choice is an excellent how to guide for hanging your shingle. The author covers almost all the ground needed in just about the right depth. The book is detailed enough and has some personal perspectives that also help. I think there could be a bit more information on how to pick areas of practice and how to supplement your income while you develop the areas of practice that you pick.

5.0 out of 5 stars My inspiration for going solo, December 31, 2012
this book is filled with excellent information for anyone considering starting their own practice. I've written down many notes and I am working on starting my own law firms in a few months. Thanks to this book I feel confident.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for anyone contemplating a solo practice, December 5, 2011
By far the most useful solo law-practice guidebook I've read (and at this point, I've read a lot). I have the 2010-11 version, the combination of practical information and links to sources is invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, June 7, 2014
Frank R. Heinsohn (ALEXANDRIA, VA, US) - See all my reviews
Vendor delivered a head of schedule. Book is an easy read chock full of information for an aspiring sole practitioner (and of course required reading for my summer class). It will help me set up my practice in Colorado as I seek to help fellow Iraq/Afghan veterans and families as well as incarcerated veterans wrongfully accused/convicted. Thank you... . Frank

Rate and Discover Movies