5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Ogreogress Hovhaness collection
A truly stupendous collection of lesser known pieces by Alan Hovhaness performed mainly by viola player Christina Fong and various collaborators.
You get over two hours of music recorded in the higher quality and resolution given by DVD.
Published on February 14, 2010 by music lover

1.0 out of 5 stars Unable to play on CD player at home or in car
Only plays on the CD/DVD drive in laptop but no where else, which severely limits when/where I can enjoy it. Doubt I'd have bought it if I'd known. Good for viola players who want one person's interpretation of these rarely-heard pieces.
Published 12 months ago by Daniel Grossoehme

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Ogreogress Hovhaness collection, February 14, 2010
This review is from: Solos, Duos, Trios (DVD Audio)
Hovhaness is perhaps best known as a symphonist, and composer for larger ensembles, but these solos, duos and trios are truly musical poetry.
It is extraordinary that some of these pieces have slipped by until now. Some are completely unknown (to me anyhow), others are better known (Poseidon Sonata for solo piano, for example) but not, as far as I know, previously recorded.
The works are presented in chronological order and date from the 1930s to the 1990s, so cover many of the various stages of Hovhaness' composing styles. There are some who think Hovhaness lost his magic touch in later years, but a listen to the final piece here, 1992's sonata for solo viola, surely puts paid to that idea. If you are already a fan of Hovhaness you should need no persuading. If you enjoy excellent contemporary chamber music, recorded with great immediacy, do NOT miss this limited edition disc.
I bought this disc direct from Ogreogress and it crossed the Atlantic to me very speedily.
One reservation I have is that little use is made of the additional features offered by the DVD format - the track titles do not appear on screen for example, and there are no pictures of the performers or other extras on the disc at all. It played without difficulty on my mass market cheap DVD player, no on my computer DVD rom player, so you should have no difficulty getting this disc to play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks to OgreOgress productions and players for further opening my ears, and possibly causing me to buy a watch., April 17, 2014
This review is from: Solos, Duos, Trios (DVD Audio)
I have never heard any of Alan Hovhaness's music before and knew very little about him, so I decided it was time. I had read that John Cage was an admirer of Mr. Hovhaness's work so much so that he supervised the publication of his two piano work "Mihr (Op. 60)" for Henery Cowell's New Music series, and that Martha Graham commissioned music for her ballet "Ardent Song". With high expectations I put in OgreOgress productions Audio/DVD and was once again taken aback by the sound quality, very clear, clean and real sounding. The recordings comprise of 55 miniatures (short pieces) much of them not well known and ranging from the years 1935-1992, going from his early music (baroque inspired) to his later music (more of his own 'global' voice). The Audio/DVD also comes with a very informative booklet that offers great historical facts and explanations of the pieces.

In the begging I was surprised by how Baroque some of the first pieces were sounding to me, they kind of caught me off guard, I hadn't read the booklet yet and new not much about him. My tastes tend to lean a little more to the left (ok a lot more to the left) and Baroque music sometimes makes me a little edgy. But as time wore on I began to hear something in the compositions that really grabbed me, "Poseidon Sonata for Piano Op.191" (1957) was very powerful and beautiful and opened up my ears, I started to relax. I began to notice a wider range of textures than I had before. I started to find myself feeling very much at peace, kind of drifting off, so much so that I hadn't noticed that the DVD had started over at the beginning and that "Poseidon Sonata" was playing again, a little over two hours had passed. I was hearing what seemed to be a very different music from before, something totally new and beautiful.

Listening to these recordings make me want to hear more by Alan Hovhaness, there are some truly exciting moments in these extremely well played recordings. Thanks to OgreOgress productions and players for further opening my ears, and possibly causing me to buy a watch. Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A collection of Hovhaness treasures, June 9, 2014
This review is from: Solos, Duos, Trios (DVD Audio)
For the Hovhaness enthusiast – or even if you are new to his music – this DVD Audio recording will be a wonderful surprise, presenting some of his lesser known chamber works composed over almost 60 years of his life. Being a DVD Audio disk there is over 2 hours of music too. The performances are first-rate and the recordings are clear and sonically present; turn the volume up a little and the performers are in the room with you. Likewise, the liner notes are detailed and insightful; obviously well-researched and helpful to fully understand the background of each piece. I enjoy how the album is laid-out in chronological order too so that one can hear the different influences and styles involved in Hovhaness’ compositions over the course of his life. It is a pleasure to add this disk to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hovhaness Timeline, June 6, 2014
This review is from: Solos, Duos, Trios (DVD Audio)
The liner notes for this DVD are very informative and greatly enhance the experience of listening to each work. The recordings are very live; the listener is put into the very room of the recording. It was enjoyable to hear the influences of various cultures and composers in his music over his lifetime. All of the chamber music is artfully performed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine variety of talented performers presenting some rare modern classics, March 29, 2014
This review is from: Solos, Duos, Trios (DVD Audio)
It is so nice to hear excellent music in the classical vein, yet which is fresh, unfamiliar, rarely played on the radio. These artists most certainly do justice to the composing talents of Alan Hovhaness. I love this collection!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unable to play on CD player at home or in car, January 27, 2014

Solos, Duos, Trios
Solos, Duos, Trios by Alan Hovhaness (DVD Audio - 2008)