4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading
Published on July 24, 2010 by Cole M.

2.0 out of 5 stars its ok
This book does cover a lot of mostly central and south Florida history, but is ill organized in how the information is presented. There are some interesting facts, just do not expect to learn about related topics in the same chapters.
Published on April 24, 2012 by levity13

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading, July 24, 2010
This review is from: Some Kind of Paradise: A Chronicle of Man and the Land in Florida (Florida Sand Dollar Books) (Paperback)
While I agree this book pays scant attention to north Florida and perhaps disappoints some scholars, I found it to be very well-written and packed with "story" that a million split hairs and footnotes would have obscured. I agree, the older history inserted close to the end of the book is distracting. One wonders why it wasn't woven in at the beginning. I read and appreciated it, but if you don't want to take that step back, just skip ahead.

4.0 out of 5 stars a little bit of everything you've ever wanted to know about Florida, May 23, 2012
georgina (west of Idaho) - See all my reviews
After a ride through sawgrass and sugarcane country, I was curious to know more about Florida. It's land, its peoples. I managed to finish 'Paradise' in the four days I was visiting and loved learning about Florida's ecology and mankind's struggle's to dominate the land. It's too bad conquerors and developers have never had to take a 'first, do no harm' oath. The book has its faults and ends in 1989 but I highly recommend it for a quick & interesting overview of a fascinating & beautiful state.

2.0 out of 5 stars its ok, April 24, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Floridian Must Have, June 2, 2008
If you are a Floridian, this is one for you. Professor reserved it in our campus library for research, I was so taken with it I immediately came home looking for a copy. Glad to have found one.

$18.95 $12.12